• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cristi Ecks 80 innings without earned run

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Her team, nationally ranked Osbourn, is 27-0 and heading for the State Championship

Softball: Kempsville triumphs while Kellam bows out

By MIKE KEECH, The Virginian-Pilot

© June 11, 2005

NEWPORT NEWS  Kempsville senior Mallory Mazur didn’t need her trademark changeup against Gar-Field in the state Group AAA softball semifinals Friday at Stoney Run Park.

The Eastern Region Pitcher of the Year overpowered the Indians (18-9) with her hard stuff, including a quick-darting curveball, in a two-hitter.

Mazur (21-2) struck out 17 in her 16th shutout, a 4-0 win that earned the Chiefs a shot at their first state Group AAA championship today against unbeaten and nationally ranked Osbourn (27-0) of Manassas at 5 p.m.

The Eagles eked past Eastern Region champion Kellam 1-0 on Jamie Jensen’s RBI single in the sixth inning of Friday’s second semifinal.

Mazur, who said she felt strong warming up, struck out five consecutive Indians after yielding a leadoff single and a sacrifice bunt.

''I felt they would be looking for my changeup, so I threw more fast stuff,’’ Mazur said. “My teammates again took the pressure of me with their hitting. Somebody different comes through each game.

''We look forward to playing Osbourn for the title and having a chance to be the only team to beat them.’’

Becky Pfeil, the No. 5 hitter, stoked the Kempsville offense Friday. The junior centerfielder validated her All-Eastern Region credentials with three hits, an RBI and a run scored.

''Their pitcher (Rebecca Horesky) threw slow and we took advantage of it,’’ said Pfeil. ''We were very confident coming in. ’’

Brooke Slinger, who produced the game-winning hit in Kempsville’s quarterfinal victory over Madison, contributed an RBI single against Gar-Field. Ashley Paynter singled and added an RBI groundout.

In the second game, Kellam’s Magon Paul dueled Osbourn’s Cristi Ecks through five scoreless innings.

The Eagles, bolstered by a noisy student section, broke the deadlock with three consecutive singles to open the sixth inning.

Kellam loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of sixth, but Ecks turned a bunt by Anna Zitt into a forceout at the plate. The South Florida signee, who hasn’t yielded an earned run in her last 80 innings, then retired Kelli Porter on a popup .

''It was probably a mistake bunting Anna with the bases loaded, but Magon got a good jump off third and would have scored if the ball hadn’t gone right to the pitcher,’’ Kellam coach T.J. Jones said.

''It just wasn’t meant to be our day with Osbourn making several ice cream cone catches on balls we hit well. It was a special season.’’

Paul had two of Kellam’s four hits.

Ecks, who wore an elastic support brace on what had been a sore right pitching arm, said she felt fine as the game progressed.

''The brace kept my arm in good position and it felt fine,’’ she said. ''Kellam was a very good team.

''I didn’t really get to see Kempsville play because we got here late. I did watch them hit a little. They looked good.’’

Today should be unforgettable for Ecks and her fellow senior teammates. They attend graduation in Manassas at 10 a.m., then bus to Newport News for the title game.

''I’m very confident they’ll handle such an emotional day well,’’ Osbourn coach Renee Leake said. ''This is our fourth straight year in this tournament.’’

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=87652&ran=239147

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

That's where I went to high school! Wow! Someone from OHS playing ball for USF!  What a great find Howie! That is awesome! Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That just made my day!

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

what level of competition is she pitching against?

hope she helps us get to the ncaa's

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The best in Virginia -- AAA or equivalent to 6A in Florida.