• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

guys this is not about MG I guess I should have explained that sorry! there is a kid that signed with a school that is a friend of the family and he was going up north and now does not want to but also does not want to sit out a year  I have said 100 times MG is all good. this has nothing to do with him  he has been a Bull since his Jr. year  LOL why would he leave now? just ready for the season to start!!  

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

There was a kid who last year signed a LOI with another school but then was released without penalty to come to USF and didn't have to sit out. I think he was homesick and the College released him from his LOI.

There was a kid who last year signed a LOI with another school but then was released without penalty to come to USF and didn't have to sit out. I think he was homesick and the College released him from his LOI.

Here was the story on Willie Phelps:

Bulls Add Another Player

Published: Aug 5, 2004

TAMPA - The University of South Florida received a late addition to its incoming freshman class when Sarasota Booker High cornerback Willie Phelps switched to USF from North Carolina.

Phelps signed with UNC in February but was given his release, Booker coach Fred Gilmore said Wednesday.

Gilmore said Phelps has met college entrance requirements, but because of a delay in USF receiving his transcript he is still awaiting NCAA Clearinghouse approval. Gilmore said Phelps ``loved North Carolina'' but wanted to attend college closer to his mother and two sisters.

``The term to describe him is `a warrior,' '' Gilmore said. ``You want him on your side. He's the ultimate team player. He's similar to [uSF freshman cornerback] Mike Jenkins.

``Willie can contribute in his first year. He has as good [a set] of skills as anyone I've had in my 14 years at Booker.''

As a senior, Phelps (5-11, 184) ranked among SuperPrep's top 100 state recruits. He broke up seven passes and averaged 47.2 yards per kickoff return with four touchdowns.

The addition of Phelps increases USF's incoming scholarship players to 25. Four signees did not qualify; Miami Edison running back Chad Simpson's eligibility remains unknown.

Brett McMurphy

Ok thanks guys I will foward this info to him

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Good point on Phelps.  He was able to enroll and be eligible immediately.  However, I think he ended up leaving the team.

Good point on Phelps.  He was able to enroll and be eligible immediately.  However, I think he ended up leaving the team.

From St Pete Times Dec 15:

LOST AND FOUND: Cornerback Willie Phelps, who left the team last month and could not be reached by coaches for more than a month, has returned. The Sarasota freshman, who played in one game before coming down with mononucleosis, met with academic advisers Friday and will try to get his fall semester expunged, allowing him to start with a clean slate academically in January.  

Fred Gilmore, Phelps' coach at Booker High, said "personal issues" led to Phelps going AWOL. If he expunges his fall semester and is allowed back on the team, Phelps would have to pass 18 credit hours in spring and six in summer to regain his eligibility in the fall.

I'm not sure if there has been a later article on Phelps.  

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

more reasons why our defensive back field was crap!

Guest S.  Bien

You've got to have an understanding University that will allow for a release of the LOI.  Many will do it if the kid states he doesn't want to attend before schools starts and before he enrolls.  Particularly if the player pleads with the coaching staff about travel issues, and/or family problems.  I believe Halliburton was released by Rutgers and enrolled with USF as well.  He did practice with Rutgers for two weeks so i am not sure if they forced any transfer rules.

Does he want to transfer to USF?

No it really may not even be a factor he may end up 1-AA or lower. Good kid and good friend but not a phenom!

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

you have to get a waver from the NCAA