• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Help Brett and the Tribune..

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Chance said ... he had a positive drug test at USF.

Okay then.  Except that he had a positive drug test and THEN CJL waited until the end of the season to kick him off the team.  In my opinion... USF should have officially kicked him off the team and let him finish the semester academically.

I know that the athletes bear some personal responsibility for their actions.  However, if no one ever holds them accountable for their actions, they won't take responsibility for them.

On a side note, I should point out how such a small percentage the troublemakers really are.  Most student athletes are fine, upstanding men and women who work hard on the field and in the classroom.  They have my utmost respect, and wishes for continued success.

Finally, because the number of trouble makers is so small, it should be easier to put systems in place to mitigate most possible behavioral issues.  Drug testing is one of these systems, and I am glad to see that it is being used (I thought it was, but wasn't 100% certain).

Just two more of my cents on this matter.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Jim...Chance did NOT play Spring football. He was on suspension. I don't think USF is allowed to comment on drug results. The only way we know he failed is that Chance admitted it. I'm sure that other players have been tested and failed and we took action, but we didn't know about it.

Policies and Procedures Regarding Illegal Drug Use

Position/Purpose

The University of South Florida believes that the use of “performance enhancing†drugs and controlled substances are a threat to both the integrity of intercollegiate athletics and the personal health and welfare of student-athletes. In order to help prevent the misuse and abuse of drugs and alcohol by student-athletes, the Athletic Department has instituted a policy of drug screening and rehabilitation.

Consent USF/NCAA

Upon entering any athletics program at USF, each student-athlete will be required to sign two personal consent forms. One consent form indicates the understanding of the USF drug testing policies and is an agreement to be screened for illegal substances; the second consent form indicates the understanding of the NCAA drug testing policies and is an agreement to be screened for illegal substances designated by the NCAA. A list of banned substances can be found at the NCAA website: NCAA.

Participation in athletics at USF will be contingent upon adherence to the program and the signing of the drug screening consent forms.

USF Drug Screening

Athletes should be prepared to be tested for drugs listed on the NCAA banned substance list. That list will be provided to you at the beginning of the academic school year. Any student-athlete with documented medical history demonstrating the need for regular use of a banned drug will not be considered positive for a medically necessary substance. Such documentation must be on file with the sports medicine staff prior to your drug test. Any student-athlete who is currently utilizing drugs can disclose this information to the Athletic Director and avoid a drug screen. This would be considered a positive first test and procedures would be followed for a positive urinalysis.

Unannounced random drug screenings will occur frequently throughout the academic year and the student-athlete will receive specific instructions on the day before testing of his/her selection. Refusal to be tested or failure to report to screening site without approval from the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance will result in the same consequences as that of a positive test.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/AAS/SPORTSMEDICINE.HTML#Policies

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

It's news b/c he committed the alleged crimes while he was still on the football team. We are just now finding out the real reason why he was kicked off the team.

Some of you guys are acting like this is a full blown front page article. IT was a couple lines of text that  clearly stated in the headline that he was an ex USF football player.

I would have a problem if the headline would have suggested he was still on the team.

The are other things to worry about. Such as getting our baseball team a new facility ::)

Follow up story:

Athletes Charged In Thefts

A Tribune staff, wire report

Published: May 20, 2005

TAMPA - A University of South Florida women's basketball player and a former USF football player were arrested for their alleged involvement in a rash of burglaries totaling about $11,000 in USF's residence halls during the spring semester.

USF senior point guard Chanae Early was charged Thursday with two felonies involving fraudulent use of a credit card over $100.

Former defensive lineman Curtis Chance was charged Wednesday with two felonies involving burglary and grand theft between $300-$5,000.

Since January, there were 26 thefts in USF's resident halls where unlocked rooms were entered and personal property and credit cards were stolen, USF police spokesman Mike Klingebiel said. Five of the 26 incidents have been tied to Early, Chance and Ray Monroe Tillman, who doesn't attend USF and is wanted on a warrant, Klingebiel said.

``The M.O.'s of all 26 incidents are very similar,'' Klingebiel said. ``With the end of the semester and all the students going home, we will have a big break in this crime wave.''

Of the $11,000 in stolen goods, about 40 items worth $4,000 have been recovered. Much of the property has been returned to the owners. Early allegedly charged $1,100 worth of items on one of the stolen credit cards and her photograph was identified by store clerks, Klingebiel said.

Last year as a junior, Early led USF in 3-pointers (40) and averaged 6.6 points a game. Early, who came to USF from Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College, started two games last year and was expected to be the Bulls' starting point guard next season.

USF coach Jose Fernandez could not be reached for comment.

``I don't know who all is involved [in the thefts],'' Chance said Thursday.

A freshman from Dixie Hollins, Chance was dismissed from the Bulls' program May 2. At the time he told The Tampa Tribune his departure was ``sort of academics,'' but admitted to a positive drug test at USF.

In July, Chance was arrested in Ybor City and pleaded guilty to possession of marijuana.

In other news, women's basketball assistant Sadiaa Jones will remain at USF after turning down an offer to be an assistant at UCF.

One of USF's top recruiters, Jones has been at USF for three seasons.

Brett McMurphy

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBKVU8TX8E.html

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we need to recruit a better type athlete