• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

Next time that someone from the media tries to explain why they don't cover USF as much as they the Bucs or Gators or some other team I'd like to show them this:

A consultant found USF through its innovation and economic development efforts generates more than $400 million in statewide economic impact. That's an impressive figure, reflecting what an asset USF is to the Tampa Bay area....

USF reached that mark by investing in research and entrepreneurship, and those efforts account for more than 3,000 high-wage jobs yielding $149 million in household income, $224 million in gross domestic product and $52 million in tax revenues, according to the Washington Economics Group consulting firm.

And like it or not, the football team's success is a big reason people pay attention to a school.

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-usf-pays-off-big-for-tampa-bay/2303954

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

8 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

What do those findings have to do with public interest in USF athletics?

Oh I don't know, maybe that USF has more of a financial impact in the community then the rest of the teams the media loves to salivate over. 

I do recall the media touting the financial impact the Rays, Bucs and Lightning have in the community. When it comes to USF, they ignore this aspect as they delve for something they can use in a derogatory manor. 

My guess is the media will ignore this in favor of yet another derogatory article. 

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

Oh I don't know, maybe that USF has more of a financial impact in the community then the rest of the teams the media loves to salivate over. 

I do recall the media touting the financial impact the Rays, Bucs and Lightning have in the community. When it comes to USF, they ignore this aspect as they delve for something they can use in a derogatory manor. 

My guess is the media will ignore this in favor of yet another derogatory article. 

Actually, they are comparing apples to applies. The Rays, Bucs, and Lightning should be compared to USF Athletics - not to USF Academics.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

9 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

I they do report things like this on a regular basis, but not in the sports section because it has zero to do with football or any other athletic event.

Sales of branded merchandise has economic impact on the community...USF gear sales in the Bay Area appear to be pale in comparison to FSU, UF, Rays, Bucs, or Lightning. 

You guessed wrong...There's an article on page 9A of today's TBT.  Did you not read the OP's link?

No sorry. I was on my cell at the time and the link wasn't available to me. 

It's what you don't see that will trip you up. :facepalm:

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  135
  • Days Won:  0

Lived here all my live and it seemed to me, up until relatively recently, USF could have done a better job of planting their flag on this city and not waiting for the media. If you had not been involved with one of USF's partner organizations like Tampa General or Moffitt then USF could have flown under your radar very easily. Waiting for our local media to act in our best interest is definitely an exercise in futility. So I put some of this back on USF. 

Thankfully things seem to be changing even if slowly.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf needs to win an aac football championship

let's face it for the most part usf football has been up and down and never won a thing

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Our school's media quality was a great improvement, a perfect place to start connecting to the community and appealing to kids. Hope they can keep that ball rolling, it's a great reflection on USF and athletics.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  135
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Our school's media quality was a great improvement, a perfect place to start connecting to the community and appealing to kids. Hope they can keep that ball rolling, it's a great reflection on USF and athletics.

I agree. I think this is a game of catch up for the new administration after long neglect.

Some of the things that caught my attention:

1) Rocky at Lightning games. (maybe at Rays but I don't care for baseball)

2) Thunder Bug at USF watch parties.

3) Driving down Kennedy and there were USF banners on the light poles on both sides of the road.  

4) The content they've produced and published to Facebook is really good too.

All great improvements to compliment that ever present lonely Billboard at Malfunction Junction. Put this together with a winning product and we'll get there but I still wouldn't rely on the clown car that is the local Tampa Bay media to do anything for us. They are what they are.

Wished I could find the link but saw a video on WTSP about today's game and it looked more like a stroke piece for UCF. :GoBulls: