• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SI's PreSeason Top 10 Heisman

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Brohm?  They must be joking.  I agree he played great during mostly "mop up" duties last year.  How can a guy be a heisman candidate when he has hardly played any college ball?   Who is number 11?  A redshirt freshman?  

It's a VERY week Heisman group ... and look what happened to the last winner in the NFL draft ... the trophy get's weaker each year.

::goodbye::

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Brohm?  They must be joking.  I agree he played great during mostly "mop up" duties last year.  How can a guy be a heisman candidate when he has hardly played any college ball?   Who is number 11?  A redshirt freshman?  

Dude, how about watching Lousiville play one time before you make an ignorant post?  Brohm played meaningful minutes in almost every game last year.  He usually played by the 3rd offensive series.  He came in the Miami game when Lefors was hurt and played great.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Regarding my point though is that . . . the QB situation is VERY soft if a True Soph. coming from being a back up is a Top 10 candidate ... is weak.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  382

Dude, how about watching Lousiville play one time before you make an ignorant post?

Maybe you should take some of your own advice.  How do you know how many Louisville games I watched last year?  But you are right, those 98 passes he attempted all of last year were VERY meaningful.  He attempted less than 9 passes a game.  Give him the trophy right now.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

can you make one that says Matt Grothe LOL well maybe next year  LOL!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

A true freshman coming in and almost unseating a veteran player of Lefors ability is not some sort of fluke folks.

He is a very good player who is deserving of this type of ranking for one simple reason: the experts feel he will have a great year in that offense and with the supporting cast.

The Heisman isn't about who is going to be the best pro football player. It FOCUSES on who is the best college player in terms of impact to his teams success and overall performance. Guys like Charlie Ward, Gino Torreta, Jason White, etc -- they all led their teams to great success but didn't play or show anything in the pros that was outstanding. Andre will have to have an amazing season (as will the Bulls) to even get any attention at all. He will have a good shot in the pros regardless just a talent alone. But winning the popularity contest that the Heisman has become is an extreme longshot.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

Maybe you should take some of your own advice.  How do you know how many Louisville games I watched last year?  But you are right, those 98 passes he attempted all of last year were VERY meaningful.  He attempted less than 9 passes a game.  Give him the trophy right now.

If you had watched any Louisville games last year, you would know that Brohm did not play "mop up" minutes.  Petrino had schemes to get him meaningful minutes in almost every game.  He played in the first half of every game I saw, and played I think the entire second half of the Miami game when Lefors was hurt.  

I'm not saying he's the Heisman trophy winner, but he is really good and Louisville will not miss a beat on offense in 2005.  I take offense to the "mop up" part of your first post.  It just isn't true.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  382

I never said I didn't think Brohm was a great player.  Any one who saw him play last year can tell he is going to be special.   In my opinion, a kid should not be on the preseason list if he played a series here or there the previous year.  If he plays well THIS year as starter, then of course get him on the list.

JR- I consider it mop up play when a player is on the field for a series or two, regarldless of which quarter it is.  If Lefors doesn't get a concussion against Miami, I don't think Brohm steps on the field in the second half.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

from leinhart to brohm is a big drop off

i hope hall has at least 75 yards against psu

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

JR- I consider it mop up play when a player is on the field for a series or two, regarldless of which quarter it is.

I think "mop up duty" is generally recognized as when someone plays when the outcome of the game has already been decided. I've got to agree, though, that to have a soph in the Top 10 of the Heisman watch after only seeing limited action the previous is unusual but I think it boils down what ET said, weak proven offensive talent returning .....