• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DePaul Gets New Head Coach of Breakfast Club Fame

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

jwdep.jpg

teacher.jpg

Anyway, we had a new member join TheBullsPen.com from a new DePaul site - BLueDemonsNation.com.  They have linked to us as well as Dave's site and the Scout site.  I will add them to the basketball links below...

Just wanted to make you aware of another "independent" Big East site out there...Please visit and bring some DePaul fans back here.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

hmmmm, I seem to recall his line in the movie. Holding up the bull horns hand sign and saying "don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns"

;D

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

They were seriously considering the Coach who took over for McCullum. Maybe one of their fans can tell us why they didn't hire him.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I saw that...freshjive may be able to tell us why...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5

Hawkins is a great X's & O's coach, but Western Michigan was the biggest program he has been in thus far, and has only 2 years of experience in a Division I program as a head coach. I believe he will get another job in a few years, perhaps in the A-10 or such. He is a rising name in the coaching field. We just went with experience and perhaps a "calming" feeling.

Hawkins is a great X's & O's coach, but Western Michigan was the biggest program he has been in thus far, and has only 2 years of experience in a Division I program as a head coach. I believe he will get another job in a few years, perhaps in the A-10 or such. He is a rising name in the coaching field. We just went with experience and perhaps a "calming" feeling.

Thanks.

I saw that some of your fans had posted questions about that possible hire on other message boards, but none of them came here.

The responses I saw seemed to suggest that the success he had was due in large part to the recruits McCullum had left him, and had McCullum stayed he would have also taken them to the dance. So, it was difficult to determine how good he really was.

Well, we took a chance on Mac, despite his not coaching at a higher profile school, and it will be interesting to see in the long run which of our teams made the better decision.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

Wainwright had a real talented club at Richmond (as we can attest, they beat us last year), but has now once again left for greener pastures.  He was very good at UNCW with Brett Blizzard as well.  I hate to see coaches recruit kids and leave at the first chance of a major job, but he will win at DePaul.  

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I hope he gets excited on the court, that dour look isn't going to create any enthusiasm...

He definitely doesn't seem like the touchy feely type.  ;D

Apr 28, 8:23 PM EDT

Blue Demons Coach Promises Hardworking Team

By HERBERT G. McCANN

Associated Press Writer

ILBK10204281947-big.jpg

CHICAGO (AP) -- DePaul coach Jerry Wainwright made clear during his first news conference with the Big-East bound Blue Demons that playing for him won't be easy - and sulking won't be tolerated.

"This is an environment of effort," Wainwright said Thursday.

Wainwright, the team's 11th head coach, said he expects his players to work hard, avoid turnovers and stay upbeat. "I don't like moody, sullen players," he said.

The former Richmond coach takes over for Dave Leitao, who left for Virginia earlier this month. Wainwright went 50-41 in three seasons with the Spiders.

DePaul, along with Conference USA rivals Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette and South Florida, will move to the Big East this fall.

Freshman guard Marcus Malone said he did a little research after the school announced Wainwright's hiring Wednesday.

"Everything I learned about him was positive," Malone said. "He adapts to his players, he's a great teacher. I like him so far. I'll give all I got."

Prior to Richmond, Wainwright coached at North Carolina-Wilmington for eight years, leading the team to the NCAA tournament in 2002 and an upset of Southern California in the first round. During the 2003-2004 season, his Richmond club upset Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse and earned an at-large bid to the tournament

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKC_DEPAUL_WAINWRIGHT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=SPORTS