• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Short-lived rivalry

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Short-lived rivalry

You heard it here first, and you can hold us to it: After UCF and USF play football in 2005 and 2006, the schools won't play again for another decade. That's our gut feeling.

The east Orlando-north Tampa rivals play for the first time at Raymond James Stadium on Sept. 17 and again in Orlando next season, and the two have a contract that contains an option for 2007-08.

USF Athletic Director Doug Woolard has talked with UCF AD Steve Orsini about extending the series, "but we haven't found time to sit down yet." Woolard's next comment: "I'm really interested in bringing high-profile games here, and I like some of the regional games we have." USF is in the Big East, UCF is in Conference USA and rarely will they meet.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sptsunbrunch17041705apr17,1,4125445.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

I think, given the need for a 12-game schedule, and the fact that the options are in place for 2K7/2K8,  all this really says is they haven't firmed up the dates, more than it says it's only a two-game series.

gut feeling...uh yeah...I'd "hold" someone to a gut feeling comment.  ::)

Guest S.  Bien

I hope so.  I like Woolard's comments.  Unless this game brings people out of the woodwork (which there's no indication it will) then there's no need to proceed.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

I think you can expect UCF to bring about 12,000 people for that game.  They have a loyal fan base to expect that and frankly, I think their fans have a lot more interest in playing us than anybody else on the schedule this year.  I think it will be a good atmosphere and would be surprised if the two AD's don't find a reason to keep the series going.  What's good at the gate should be good for the programs at this point.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

as long as ftu/ou/oc remains d1 we have to play them every year

why wouldn't we

it is an easy and cheap win

we would have been to a bowl game had we been playing them all these years

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

how long are we forced to play a C-DOA opponent?  that is how long the series will last unless the game brings in 50k consistently

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118

I think it was 5 season you guys have to play a CUSA team.  

I think the game could be good for both schools as far as attendance goes.  The loser will definately hurt as far as perception and recruiting.  The first game is very important and I think that if USF loses they will want out and use attendance or or something as the reason.  USf will have 5 OOC games each year if the 12 game season goes through.  There is no reason that USF couldn't play UCF, it is a matter of do they want to.

If USF backs out of the series and plays ANY 1AA schools after they will look like fools.  This game will be likely to bring a minimum of 40K for each game.  This will be more than most games for UCF and even most of USF.  Just because you guys are in the Big East doesn't mean that you will have great attendance (See Miami for example).

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I hope so.  I like Woolard's comments.  Unless this game brings people out of the woodwork (which there's no indication it will) then there's no need to proceed.

What indication? Tickets haven't even gone on sell yet. (Not sure what you are looking for).

KL

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

I think it was 5 season you guys have to play a CUSA team.  

I think the game could be good for both schools as far as attendance goes....

If USF backs out of the series and plays ANY 1AA schools after they will look like fools.  This game will be likely to bring a minimum of 40K for each game.  This will be more than most games for UCF and even most of USF.  Just because you guys are in the Big East doesn't mean that you will have great attendance (See Miami for example).

Well...there's probably a smattering of truth in there. However, I am assuming you mean attendance at either venue will have total attendance of about 40K.

As much as I'd love to believe that, as a reminder, last year the board-banter was how we were expecting the overwhelming attendance because we were playing Army and we were going to fill the lower bowl and maybe have to open the uppper bowl...etc. Well...didn't happen for Army and I'm guessing it won't happen for UCF either.

Great attendance? Great attendance?? We have a season ticket base of less than 20K, so the term 'great' is very subjective.  The Big East may not guarantee attendance, but you have to remember... the same holds true for playing UCF.  Right now, it's just another non-conference game, and in this case, mandated by previous contractural obligations to CUSA.  Once that obligation has been met, the game loses considerable value (e.g. much better to have to play UCF (within driving range) than to be stuck having to play some other CUSA school like [pick one...any one...and insert here].

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

It's a no-brainer - UCF is one of the worst D1 programs. They are like Duke or Baylor. Why would we drop them to play a I-AA game is beyond me. Added attendance is just the icing on the cake.