• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SP Times Proving Itself Worthy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

When I lived in the Tampa/St. Pete area, I always preferred to read the St. Pete Times.  However, the paper was always lacking the one integral item that I felt was amongst the most important - USF Bulls coverage.  Because the Trib had better Bulls coverage, I read it.  How the times have changed!

I don't know if it is just a matter of the Times bringing in new blood in the form of Greg Auman, or what, but I am enjoying reading the columns about the Bulls in the Times.  We're not just talking about coverage of an occurrence, we're talking about columns that go into depth to let us know what is REALLY happening with our team.

Greg, kudos to you and the St. Pete Times for your changes.  Brett, get with the program and start acting like your paper actually cares about its hometown college team.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Must be a result of that new partnership they were hyping-up last year. The Times only got involved after the Big East move, while the Trib who has been covering USF all along appears to be left out in the cold. I can only surmise that money talks.

Guest guest

we all realize the difficulties the various beat writers have had in receiving access. particularly football and basketball. auman is at least still trying so maybe the trib neeeds to stop whining and get back to work.

leavitt is hardly the worst bcs conference coach to work with.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874

we all realize the difficulties the various beat writers have had in receiving access. particularly football and basketball. auman is at least still trying so maybe the trib neeeds to stop whining and get back to work.

leavitt is hardly the worst bcs conference coach to work with.

I don't believe it is an access situation.  look at the stories Greg is writing, and compare them to the stories that Brett writes.  It is a huge difference.  Greg writes about the program as a whole, Brett writes about things that happen.  Greg provides analysis, Brett creates commentary.  Greg exhibits skill, I won't say what Brett exhibits.

The Trib might need to look at making a change in their Bulls beat.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

The Trib is being petty and giving limited effort to cover spring practice because of the limited access.  Instead they are being pircks and choosing to just montior the police arrest logs.

Greg has his butt out there everyday to attend the last 30 minutes and get player and coach interaction on their way to the locker room.

Meanwhile the Trib is sitting in their offices watching the rowing crews float down the river.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I agree the times coverage has stepped up.  Unless there is something I am missing here let us not be petty too.  Brett has been kind to us over the years when he had many opportunities to really rip us.  He also has been fair when writing negative stuff that should be reported, but in places like gainesville and tally get swept under the rug.  He's no homer, but he is also appears to be a fan.  Nothing wrong with that.  In fact, it was the Times we should be cautious about.  They haven't been so kind to us over the years.

Maybe Greg is being granted some access that other reporters are not due to our affiliation?  I don't know.

Either way thanks for the stuff both guys write.  Message board fans are a tough crowd.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,521
  • Days Won:  10

One improvement I'd like to see is with the Bulls section on the Times' online edition.  It is never updated and, it appears, only has football-related items.

Since the Times is the 'official' paper of the Bulls, their web page should be updated daily with anything related to USF athletics.

Can this be done, Greg??

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

I don't believe it is an access situation.  look at the stories Greg is writing, and compare them to the stories that Brett writes.  It is a huge difference.  Greg writes about the program as a whole, Brett writes about things that happen.  Greg provides analysis, Brett creates commentary.  Greg exhibits skill, I won't say what Brett exhibits.

The Trib might need to look at making a change in their Bulls beat.

I agree with this assessment.  The Tribune and USF have gotten off track with each other.  McMurphy doesn't like USF, USF doesn't like him.  Someone needs to think reassignment.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913

hey. i'm working on getting the Bulls page on our site improved. i'm glad you guys track down the links even though they're not posted to our Bulls page. all I can tell you is things will get better in that department, and thanks for the kind words. and i honestly can't think of a single instance where I've gotten anything -- a story, better access -- because of the Times' partnership with USF. it really doesn't affect me one way or the other. enjoy the game tonight.

greg

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

hey. i'm working on getting the Bulls page on our site improved. i'm glad you guys track down the links even though they're not posted to our Bulls page. all I can tell you is things will get better in that department, and thanks for the kind words. and i honestly can't think of a single instance where I've gotten anything -- a story, better access -- because of the Times' partnership with USF. it really doesn't affect me one way or the other. enjoy the game tonight.

greg

Greg, are you going to be able to cover the away hoops games this year? That's about the only place the Times has been lacking ...