• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can you imagine

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

How many times have we seen a writer phrase a question to a recruit that doesn't include USF as part of the question?

Oversight or did he really narrow his list over the last 24 hours?

That's why I wrote "it looks like."  ;D

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  442

Even if he decides to go to college and comes to play for us, chances are he would be here two years tops and then go to the NBA....While I do not have a problem with that at all because it will help our recruiting down the line, I believe Coach Mac is interested in having kids spend four years here to where he can have a OSU type line-up with 4 or 5 seniors down the line somewhere

Guest S.  Bien
Even if he decides to go to college and comes to play for us, chances are he would be here two years tops and then go to the NBA....While I do not have a problem with that at all because it will help our recruiting down the line, I believe Coach Mac is interested in having kids spend four years here to where he can have a OSU type line-up with 4 or 5 seniors down the line somewhere

Although, right this minute the NBA is pushing for an age limit from 2006 and beyond.  The commissioner, all the teams, and obviously the NCAA is behind it.  If Keith doesn't go NBA this year then he maybe forced to stick it out until his junior year, so whomever lands this stud could truly luck out.

By the way, if this happens, an age limit to enter the NBA then this is going to make it more difficult on the smaller schools to get ahead, particularly a school like USF in the BE.  When Uconn gets to keep all their studs for 3 years suddenly they become a juggernaut and not a one year wonder, rebuilding after all the super studs depart.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Although, right this minute the NBA is pushing for an age limit from 2006 and beyond.  The commissioner, all the teams, and obviously the NCAA is behind it.  If Keith doesn't go NBA this year then he maybe forced to stick it out until his junior year, so whomever lands this stud could truly luck out.

By the way, if this happens, an age limit to enter the NBA then this is going to make it more difficult on the smaller schools to get ahead, particularly a school like USF in the BE.  When Uconn gets to keep all their studs for 3 years suddenly they become a juggernaut and not a one year wonder, rebuilding after all the super studs depart.

though if kids no they will be on the bench for at least 2 yrs at say uconn because they have a stud frshman at the same position they might look else where?

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

We are STILL in the running for Brumbaugh!

AIMING HIGH: Coach Robert McCullum hopes to land two more players to fill out his incoming recruiting class, and the Bulls are impressively still in the mix for DeLand forward Keith Brumbaugh, who was named the state's Mr. Basketball after averaging 30.3 points and 12.0 rebounds as a senior.

Brumbaugh, who is strongly considering leaping directly to the NBA Draft, said Monday that if he doesn't go pro, he'll choose among USF, Florida and Southern Cal.

"I'm just waiting on a little feedback before I make a decision (about the NBA)," the 6-foot-8 Brumbaugh said. "But those are my three schools, and South Florida is definitely still in it. They've stayed on me throughout the recruiting process."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/20/Sports/Spring_game_turnout_n.shtml

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

The 6-foot-8 athletic forward has said he may jump to the NBA, but Telep said Brumbaugh probably wouldn't be a first-round pick, so he'd have to "scratch and claw just to stay in the league."

Although he's rated as the top recruit in the state of Florida, there's been some concern about Brumbaugh's attitude and if Donovan would be willing to sign a guy some consider a head case.

Telep said it should be a no-brainer.

"Brumbaugh is an immensely talented offensive basketball player," Telep said. "This is a guy who's 6-8 and can play on the perimeter. He [should fit into] the style of offense Florida wants to play. If he wants to come to Florida, they would have to take a long, hard look at him."

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/uwire/041805aab.html

Guest BasketBull.

Now or later?

DeLand's Brumbaugh weighs basketball options

By ED PLAISTED

MORNING LINE

Last update: February 18, 2005

"In the very May-morn of his youth,

Ripe for exploits and mighty enterprises."

William Shakespeare

"Henry V"

DELAND -- Thanks to his 6-foot-8 height, Keith Brumbaugh was able to go face-to-face with a TV screen atop a filing cabinet in DeLand High's basketball office.

Brumbaugh and coach John Zeoli were reviewing a video of a recent game. It was an hour before the Bulldogs' daily practice, but the senior was using an open period to study basketball.

Brumbaugh's life is basketball. It is his game 12 months per year, and according to Zeoli, "Keith's second home is the gym where he uses most of his free time to practice moves and shots."

DeLand, a No. 2 seed, will see if it pays off, when it visits host and No. 3 seed Winter Springs at 7:30 p.m. tonight in a District 2-6A game.

In the closing days of his high school career, Brumbaugh has scored 766 points in 25 games for a 30.6 points per game average, including individual games of 52 and 42 points. He has pulled down 307 rebounds for a 12.3 per game average, passed out 120 assists (4.8 ), made 102 steals (4.0 ) and blocked 63 shots (2.6). He has hit 59 3-pointers.

He has a career total of 2,200 points.

Many kids have boyhood dreams of playing a sport in a major league. Brumbaugh, however, could realize a career in pro basketball in the coming NBA Draft. Or he might delay his dream by playing in the college ranks.

In recent drafts, more and more teens have been picked higher and higher, as teams seek to emulate the success stories of Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett. Of course, there have been some flops, such as Washington's decision to draft Kwame Brown as No. 1.

While Brumbaugh will neither confirm nor deny he hopes to be drafted No. 1, his former guardian, Leslie "Gus" Gibbs, says that is the young man's goal. And although going No. 1 may be a long shot, going in the first round isn't.

There are many coaches who believe the DeLand senior is good enough to skip Division I college play. Oviedo's Ed Kershner, one of the most successful high school coaches in the nation with more than 700 wins, believes Brumbaugh is talented enough to play pro basketball.

Others, including some NBA scouts, suggested he would be better served to play college basketball, where he can learn discipline and also get an education.

THOUGHTS FROM OTHERS

Toronto Raptors scout Scott Howard was in the stands for last month's DeLand-Deltona game. He wouldn't comment on Brumbaugh.

The Portland Trail Blazers and the Indiana Pacers have also looked at Brumbaugh this season, but they indicated they were not interested in the DeLand player at this time.

Glenn Wilkes Sr., the legendary and former Stetson basketball coach, said he can't be impartial because he is friends with Brumbaugh.

"But I think it is a good idea for Keith to keep his grades up at DeLand in case he isn't drafted," Wilkes said. "That way he will have the grades to play for a Florida, FSU or USF. I've seen cases where a young man is so confident he'll be drafted, he forgets about his grades and then loses the other opportunity to the NBA by playing college basketball."

Brendan McGovern of "Basketball Guide" said, "I've liked Brumbaugh for some time because of the diversity of his skills and the simple fact that he's a lefty. It's his physique and some questions I have about what position he'll eventually play on the next level that concerns me.

"It was enough to make me think that he should definitely attend college and forego the NBA Draft until at least 2006. But the fact is that the talent pool for the 2005 draft is looking so thin that I think Brumbaugh has to keep his options open.

"I won't go on record saying he's a sure-fire first-round pick, but I think he's a pretty safe bet given the less-than compelling crop of college and international players that will be available. A good showing on the postseason all-star game circuit and Brumbaugh would be wise to go to the NBA."

MENTAL AND PHYSICAL

So what does Brumbaugh think?

"Yes, playing pro basketball is a dream," Brumbaugh said. "It is mine. That's why I'm working hard to improve my skills. As for the NBA, sure I'd like to play pro ball. Every kid would."

Zeoli calls Brumbaugh "a gift for me to coach for four seasons."

Brumbaugh, who is bright but soft-spoken, has been playing in a fish bowl ever since college scouts learned of him. This could weigh a ton on the shoulders of most teenagers, but he has matured enough to handle the insults from the stands that often include chants of, "Overrated! Overrated!"

His senior year has been a challenge because DeLand isn't as deep as in past years. Brumbaugh has tried to be a team player, but often in the closing minutes he has been forced to try and win a game on his talent. This has led to personal foul trouble because most teams double-team or even triple-team him.

Brumbaugh may need to build up his upper body. But he is an active runner who can do a five-minute mile and endure playing 30-31 minutes of a 32-minute high school game.

There was talk Brumbaugh might not play his senior year at DeLand.

"I always planned to play my senior year for Coach Zeoli because he doesn't hold anyone back," Brumbaugh. "He lets you showcase your talent."

Zeoli says Brumbaugh has a 3.25 GPA, but the senior is the first to admit he doesn't like academic life.

He has enjoyed the Nike experience that last summer let him play in France and tour Paris. What may determine Brumbaugh's future will be his performance in spring showcases in the McDonald's All-America Game at Notre Dame and the Michael Jordan Game in New York's Madison Square Garden.

[url=http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Opinion/Columnists/MorningLin/03ColumnsMORN021805.htmNews Journal