• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach reaches out to students

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I bring this up here because I think this is a definate need in our program.  This is a blurb in today's Times and shows some creative thinking to attract students to the program.  Thoughts?

KEEPING HIS WORD: When Meyer took over in December, he said one of the things he planned to do was reach out to the students in an effort to build better relations between the general student population and athletes. So far he's keeping that promise. Meyer has spent lots of time visiting fraternities and sororities. His latest project was unveiled Thursday. In conjunction with the UF student government, Meyer is holding a contest this month giving students an opportunity to name their section at Florida Field. The student with the winning entry will receive an autographed football from Meyer and two tickets and hotel accommodations to the Florida-Georgia game.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/08/Sports/Shuttle_system_keeps_.shtml

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

What do you think could be done to attract more students to games? And don't start the 'on campus stadium' thread again...I mean what can be done here and now to garner more student interest.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

I understand what you're getting at but, for the record, the thing at Florida wasn't to attract more students to games, was it? Wasn't it basically to try and stop the fraternities and athletes from killing each other?

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

What do you think could be done to attract more students to games? And don't start the 'on campus stadium' thread again...I mean what can be done here and now to garner more student interest.

Well, Woolard has agreed to paint his whole body if we can fill up the dome. Who knows what he would do if we actually filled up Ray Jay! ;D

O: You told me once you'd do anything just to get more fans in the stands. I think you need to make a deal with The Bullspen where, if they fill up the Sun Dome, you'd paint your body or something and hang with them for a game. Would you be willing to do that?

DW: (Laughs) I'd be willing to do that.

O: I've got you on record here that you'll do it.

DW: Well, I think you're right that it's a partnership that fans and their base have gotten better and I think people will take notice. Because I envision a time where the Sun Dome will be sold out, and Raymond James may not be sold out for a year or two, but I think more people will come. And if they can sell out in Tallahassee and Gainesville, why not here in Tampa?

O: I think you should still guarantee the fans something crazy that you'll do if something gets sold out.

DW: I'll let you come up with something if that happens.

O: That probably wasn't such a wise decision, but I'll take it.

DW: I may not be safe now.

http://www.usforacle.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/07/425537a449baf

If I recall, Paul Griffin made a bet that if we had more than a certain number of people at the inaugural game, he would do a jig on Dale Mabry.  He lost and, unfortunately, I didn't get to see that.

If I recall, Paul Griffin made a bet that if we had more than a certain number of people at the inaugural game, he would do a jig on Dale Mabry.  He lost and, unfortunately, I didn't get to see that.

I think Leavitt said that he would run naked if it would help us get to a bowl game. :)

BEST QUOTE: USF coach Jim Leavitt, after his team defeated Houston in the season finale, on what it would take to get the independent Bulls into a bowl: "Maybe I need to run naked through the streets of Tampa with a sign that says we need to go to a bowl."

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/12/30/Sports/The_good__the_bad_and.shtml

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400

Ricky did't you show us the same article a few months ago?

I don't think so, as the one above is in today's Times.  

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400

I don't think so, as the one above is in today's Times.  

sorry Ricky it wasnt you but I new I read something like this before sorry its so long

starspangledpimp

Freshman

USA  Tampa FL

Holla

starspangledpimp

View Profile

CJL getting around

« on: Feb 21st, 2005, 2:13pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry about the stupid heading, but I was just curious about something and wanted to get everyones attention.  I heard an interveiw with Urban Meyer and he was saying that when he was at Bowling Green and Utah he would get out and talk with the students. That he would goand speak with the fraternities, sororities, organizations, etc. He said he likes to do it all the time and it gets them excited about the season, the spring game, and it helps attendance (not that that will make a difference at UF).  He also says that he is going to do it at UF as well.  I don't think CJL does this I have been involved around USF for four years and haven't seen it done.  I would like to. Does anyone know if he actually does this.  It would be great around campus.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2005, 2:56pm by starspangledpimp »      IP Logged

Obi_won_kenobigunz

Sophomore

USA  Brooksville FL

View Profile

Re: CJL getting around

« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 3:11pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify

I really don't think Jim is into doing this kind of stuff.  I'm sure it would help to gain interest from students, but I don't see coach doing a whole lot of this.  You really have to be more of a Bullsh!tter and coach leavitt is more into giving his time to into practice and recruiting.  i'm sure Sheriff can give us some info on this also.

IP Logged

USF Football: We will stain your jerseys with grass while we're kicking your @$$ !!!

bulls96go

Senior

USA  Atlanta GA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 4:24pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify

just win jim!

IP Logged

Markeymark

Senior

USA  Kailua HI

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 4:50pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 21st, 2005, 2:13pm, starspangledpimp wrote:

Sorry about the stupid heading

With that heading and the name "starspangledpimp" it was anybody's guess what this thread was going to be about...

IP Logged

Bobby Fischer walks through Narita Airport wearing his prison denims while his smiling and dutiful Japanese wife Miss Watai pushes their airport luggage trolley behind him.

starspangledpimp

Freshman

USA  Tampa FL

Holla

starspangledpimp

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 8:33pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify

funny

IP Logged

WoolyBully

Bull Backers Club Member *

Senior

USA  Tampa, Florida FL

...just don't mess with The Bull......

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 9:47pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hmmmm....it's pretty interesting that he was able to correlate his "walking and talking" with increased attendance. My guess would be that perhaps winning generates more turnstile activity than glad-handing by the head coach.  I can see where that may be an issue at Bowling Green & Utah, but - as you pointed out - it's pretty much a non issue at UF.

IP Logged

================================

BullBackers: by the fans, for the fans, all for USF! (234, X, 10-13)

burban meyer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:58am »      Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Having a coach that is seen on campus and approachable is a great thing for any University, it was one of the many things that made spurrier so beloved at UF.  I think CJL making his rounds on campus would pump up this University especially during football season, one thing we are in need of is an an image.  The university is trying to give us one name, one brand identity, but it takes time and money.  They are beginning on campus, and taking it from there.  The biggest question when you ask people that haven't attended or are not closely related to USF is who are we?  Are we USF or South Florida.  Around Tampa we are USF, but if you watch any televised games we are South Florida.  Having more recognizable faces for this University would do nothing but help.  Don't give me that crap that he spends all his time recruting, etc.  because we all know that the assistant coached do a majority of recruiting and the head coach is the closer.  He is busy at game planning, studying, and practice, but he could take an hour out of each week to be on campus getting people excited about football and this university, in fact all coaches should it would make their lives easier as well.

IP Logged

beastiebull

Sophomore

USA  Atlanta GA

Don't YOU tell me to smile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:44pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:58am, burban meyer wrote:

Having a coach that is seen on campus and approachable is a great thing for any University, it was one of the many things that made spurrier so beloved at UF.  I think CJL making his rounds on campus would pump up this University especially during football season, one thing we are in need of is an an image.  The university is trying to give us one name, one brand identity, but it takes time and money.  They are beginning on campus, and taking it from there.  The biggest question when you ask people that haven't attended or are not closely related to USF is who are we?  Are we USF or South Florida.  Around Tampa we are USF, but if you watch any televised games we are South Florida.  Having more recognizable faces for this University would do nothing but help.  Don't give me that crap that he spends all his time recruting, etc.  because we all know that the assistant coached do a majority of recruiting and the head coach is the closer.  He is busy at game planning, studying, and practice, but he could take an hour out of each week to be on campus getting people excited about football and this university, in fact all coaches should it would make their lives easier as well.

All great points.  CJL should be doing all he can to get people out to these games.  Dorm visits, administrative office visits can only help.  Shoot go to the gym and intramural courts and get those athletic minded people to take notice of USF football.

IP Logged

"...most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps." -P.E.

S.  Bien

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 1:00pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just win Jim!

IP Logged

MatRatUSF

Freshman

USA  Tampa FL

Scoobdoo49

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:27pm »      Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yo Pimp,

Call Tanya West. She's his assistant. If you talk to her about it, she can schedule you in. I'm sure he never got calls from student organizations to make appearences.

974-7171 twest@admin.usf.edu

Holler at ya boy pimp!

IP Logged

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"

-Yogi Berra

smazza

Bulls Pen Pioneer

Graduate

USA  Los Angeles CA

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 5:43am »      Quote Quote Modify Modify