• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fast start backed Henry into a corner

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Fast start backed Henry into a corner

Sensational rookie season might have raised the bar too quickly

10:45 PM CST on Tuesday, March 15, 2005

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

The most impressive statistic on Anthony Henry's four-year NFL résumé might haunt him the rest of his career.

Henry, the cornerback who received the largest chunk of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' free-agent money, grabbed 10 interceptions his rookie season with the Cleveland Browns.

And no one will let him live it down.

"I guess the expectations took off at that point," Henry said. "My responsibilities changed the next season, but everyone still wanted that same performance."

Henry, who played mostly in passing situations his rookie season in 2001, struggled after becoming a starter. He gave up one touchdown as a rookie, but yielded three in the first six games in 2002.

Henry managed three interceptions over his second and third seasons, causing Cleveland fans to wonder if he was a one-hit wonder.

0316newhenry.jpg

MICHAEL MULVEY / DMN

Anthony Henry had four interceptions last season, including one against the Cowboys. Former Browns secondary coach Todd Bowles, who now has the same title in Dallas, knew that wasn't the case.

"He just took a step back," Bowles said. "When you're playing only on third downs, you can study a guy and cheat. When you start playing every down, the offense sees all your weaknesses."

Noticing how eager Henry was to go after interceptions, teams began using double moves against him. He appeared lost at times, but his teammates and coaches stuck with him.

"Name me a cornerback that gets 10 interceptions every year," said Cowboys receiver Quincy Morgan, also a part of the Browns' 2001 draft class. "I hear what everybody says about his production falling off, but maybe it's because they stopped throwing at him."

Morgan estimates that from the start of training camp through the end of Henry's rookie season, Henry picked off at least 100 passes during practices.

And that's why Morgan was shocked when the Browns allowed Henry to enter free agency, replacing him with former Ravens cornerback Gary Baxter.

"That tells you everything you need to know about the Cleveland Browns," Morgan said. "They let a guy go who's shown them all that loyalty and pay more money to a guy who's not as good."

What Henry, 28, is missing is the brashness that typifies some of the league's top defensive backs. Described as deeply religious by close friends and relatives, Henry prefers an inspirational book to a night on the town.

"He's not an exciting guy," Bowles said. "He'll play on the scout team if you ask him to. But he'll play until he passes out."

It's ironic that Henry's childhood hero was former Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders, who grew up in the same Fort Myers, Fla., projects as Henry.

"I asked him to take a picture with me after we played the Ravens last year," said Henry, who attended a parade in Sanders' honor at age 12.

'Dirty' Waters

Henry feared that his football career might end after high school when he couldn't pass his college entrance exams. His mother, Essie Mae Robinson, remembers her son crying after a combined five attempts at the SAT and ACT exams.

Many of the recruiters who watched him star at quarterback and safety for Estero High School stopped calling. The University of South Florida, which was in the process of launching its football program, didn't walk away.

0316henryhs.jpg

COURTESY

Anthony Henry played at Estero High School in Fort Myers, Fla.. Henry had to sit out the 1996 season, which mattered little since South Florida only practiced. Former Eagles defensive back Andre Waters, the school's secondary coach at the time, noticed Henry immediately.

"He just stood out," Waters said. "And when he wasn't in there, the whole secondary collapsed."

Waters, regarded as a dirty player during his NFL days, said he tried to teach his players a few tricks of the trade, including how to knock a receiver off stride with a "subtle" elbow to the midsection.

"Anthony tried it a couple of times," said Waters, "and decided it wasn't for him."

Glenn Davis, one of Henry's teammates and close friends at South Florida, jokes that his favorite moment in college was when Henry finally got "cussed out" by Waters.

It only took three years.

Henry was the second pick of the fourth round in 2001 and was sandwiched by two other South Florida players, guard Kenyatta Jones and kicker Bill Gramatica.

"He was the cornerstone of this program," South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said of Henry. "He's probably the biggest reason why we went from I-AA to Division I so quickly."

Henry's newest coach, Bill Parcells, isn't in the business of throwing bouquets. According to Henry, Parcells' message was clear.

"I hope you're not sensitive," Parcells warned Henry. "Because I'm going to get on you."

And it won't take three years.

E-mail mmosley@dallasnews.com

ANTHONY HENRY

Nickname: Ant

Hometown: Fort Myers, Fla.

College: South Florida

Height: 6-1

Weight: 205

Drafted: Fourth round in 2001

Notable: First player in Browns history to have three interceptions in two games. ... Tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions in 2001. ... Played three years of free safety at South Florida before switching to cornerback in 2000.

CORNER COMPARISON

Here's how Cowboys cornerback Anthony Henry stacks up against the top free-agent cornerbacks of 2005:

Player  Team*  Exp.  INT  PBU  

Gary Baxter  Bal.  4  5  42  

Andre Dyson  Tenn.  4  16  59  

Anthony Henry  Cle.  4  17  49  

Ty Law  N.E.  10  36  122  

Ken Lucas  Sea.  4  11  60  

Samari Rolle  Tenn.  7  23  87  

Fred Smoot  Wash.  4  16  48  

*-In 2004; Exp.-Years in NFL; PBU-Pass breakups  

SCOUTING REPORT

DallasNews.com’s Matt Mosley evaluates the facets of Henry’s game:

Hands: Henry, who played some at receiver at South Florida, has a knack for getting his hands on the ball. One of his former teammates in Cleveland, current Cowboys receiver Quincy Morgan, said Henry’s hands are as good as some of the top receivers in the league.

Feet: Did not have the quickest feet when he arrived at South Florida. Former Eagles safety Andre Waters, then the secondary coach at South Florida, made him jump rope to help his quickness. By his senior year, Henry’s footwork had improved to the point where he was moved to cornerback.

Speed: Henry is a pure athlete. He had the talent to run track, play basketball or football in college. For his size (6-1, 205), Henry has excellent speed.

Tackling: Even though his childhood hero was Deion Sanders, Henry doesn’t tackle like him. He’s not known for making explosive hits, but his man usually goes down. He had to learn how to support the run in college and that helped him in the NFL.

Mind: Henry constantly studies opposing quarterbacks and receivers. The fact that he once passed 35 hours during the spring and summer semesters of college to regain his senior season speaks to his diligence. He has learned that he can’t always go for the big play. His technique has improved and he should be in his peak years.

Personality: Painfully shy. Coaches say he can be a clown when the notebooks and cameras aren’t around, though. Deeply religious person who always tries to avoid the spotlight. Despite his quiet nature, he was voted captain four consecutive years in college.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/031605cphenry.bc56a.html

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

they got a true diamond

this is the kind of guy the new england loves and why they have 3 rings in 4 years

the browns will always be clowns.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

great artlicle.  ant has always been a great example for anyone to follow.

best of luck in Dallas!!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

The only bad thing about Anthony Henry is who he plays for.  Other than that, I really like him.  I wish I was here and watching USF football while he was still playing here.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he will shine for america's team