• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

These refs suck!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  0

I smell some home cooking!!!!  USF is showing good poise.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Watching the big east games today and the cusa games today was light night and day... cusa has aweful refs.

They aren't the reason we shot so poorly, but i'm very glad to not have to worry about those refs anymore.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

We had terrible refs last night too, yet overcame it.   C-USA refs have always been horrible.  I always attributed that to anti-Sethism.  With him gone for two years, either its extended payback or they just plain suck.  Or a combination of both...

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Apparently it is seen widely how bad the C-USA refs are...this morning's trib cited Coach Bobby Lutz's (Charlotte) making a comment to the refs towards the end of the game which gave him a Tech.   Something to the effect that he had poor officiating because his last name wasn't Huggins, Calipari or Pittino.  C-USA officiating (both for football and basketball) has been horrible and Seth got in trouble for it all the time...more techs than any coach I've ever seen.  C-USA will not be missed.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Refs did suck but so did our inability to stop unforced turnovers and hit open shots.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

The team fouls at halftime I believe were 10 on us and 2 on Memphis.  About the only thing more biased is than the officiating for Memphis this week is an Al Franken or Rush Limbaugh best-seller.  We were openly laughing at the officiating because it got to the point where we had to laugh so we wouldn't cry.  Hearing Memphis fans booing the refs for the way Collin Dennis was guarding Washington was comical considering how Barclay was running Leather over with holding and tackling techniques Leavitt would have loved.  Terrence was being held and pulled on constantly, and our guards were literally shoved away from the basket.  It was absolutely ridiculous, and Lutz was correct in that Charlotte got the same treatment.  It happened again today with Louisville as Garcia's third foul in the first half was just a phantom call, and the team fouls were 8-3 at halftime, with the third one on Memphis being a meaningless ticky-tack nickel-dimer away from the ball that gave UL ball out of bounds with less than a minute left.  As physical as Memphis is, there's absolutely no way for that team to only commit 5 fouls in 40 minutes of basketball (both first halves).  I can't even begin to describe how ridiculous it was... nothing short of embarassing.

The pattern all week seemed to be allow Memphis to do literally whatever they want in the first half, and call the other team tight... then just be less biased in the second half.  Conspiracy theorists would say these refs knew which team would be in the league next year, and which one wouldn't... and kept in mind the pay rate would be the same for officials even in the new, crappy C-USA.  

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

Collin,

I agree in that these refs were not going to be on our side so to speak. I believed the biggest blown call against USF was when I think Dennis got ran over by the Memphis players while going for the loose ball. That no call really got McCullum hot, and he had every right to be pissed off at that call. The calls were going Memphis' way from the tip off and really helped get  USF in a big whole. Memphis was hitting some crazy deep shoots that Reggie Kohn would have admired. Anyway, I am glad USF out played Memphis in the second half because it just shows you that USF wont give up dispite being down by over 20pts at the half.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  509

Couldn't have said it better myself, USFCollin and BB2K.  Although the call/noncall that got me was when USF was down by 9 with about 2:00 left.  Loose ball, Memphis player gets it goes sliding and calls a timeout, when they had no time outs left.  All game the refs were giving Memphis these time outs instead of calling traveling.  But for some unexplained, mysterious reason this time they called the traveling instead of recognizing the time out and giving the technical!  UGLY!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

The non tech call on the sliding out of bounds was huge.  It could of been a 4-5 point swing - two shots & the ball.  It would of definitely been a completely different game.  I didn't watch but did the Tigers get home cooking vs. the Cards?  Looking forward to quality officiating in the NBE.  There will be no wondering about the anitSethism residue.