• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting thread on Nevada board

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

11 Hours Ago

renowiggum user_offline.gif

Premium Subscriber

icon1.gifIf I were a South Florida Fan...

A thought experiment: if you were a South Florida fan, what trends from the Cal game would you be looking to take advantage of? What things would make you nervous?

For me, there's two things that I'd be looking to exploit:

First, Nevada put the ball on the ground a LOT at Cal. Most weren't lost, but that's an opportunity just waiting to be exploited.

Second, Cal receivers were able to get behind Nevada's secondary on multiple occasions. While Cal was not able to capitalize on this, if I'm South Florida I might strongly consider testing the Wolf Pack deep.

http://www.silverandbluesports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11605

I remember when we played South Carolina and they just KILLED us with deep balls.

We have at least three WR's who are among the fastest in all of college football with Hopkins, Mitchell and Dunkley.

Assuming that our OL are all back and healthy, then we should have enough time to throw bombs all night. We went 2-2 on deep balls last game. Holtz said we should have thrown about 8. He would have been happy to go 4-8 on them, because of the big gains in yardage.

Thoughts?

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  150
  • Days Won:  1

BJ cannot throw the deep ball consistently... so we can take that off the table... he might hit a couple... but he'll miss enough to make the coaching staff go away from it.

Now for them putting the ball on the ground... that totally plays into the Defense's strengths.

• Downvote 5

BJ cannot throw the deep ball consistently... so we can take that off the table... he might hit a couple... but he'll miss enough to make the coaching staff go away from it.

Now for them putting the ball on the ground... that totally plays into the Defense's strengths.

Depends on how much separation our WR's can get. They all run 4.3. If they get behind the secondary and create some space, BJ can hit 50%. That's all that Holtz wants. So long as we don't get intercepted.

I agree with you, that our hard hitting, swarming defense should be able to create fumbles. Hopefully, they will do a better job in recovering them, then what they did last year.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

We only need to hit a couple.

We only need to hit a couple.

I presume, like in golf, the ball will go about 10% further at altitude. I hope BJ and the WR's realize that. LOL

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Even if we get intercepted on a deep ball it normally isn't disastrous. Every once in a while a 30-40 yard pass gets returned for a long return. But usually those the intercepting guy gets taken down on that side of the field. It's the quick outs and slants that can be dangerous because sometimes it only takes a step or two for the player intercepting to have lots of green grass in front of him.

So if a deep ball is picked and we gain 30 yards of field position, well, that would be more than many of JBK's punts last year.

• Upvote 1

Even if we get intercepted on a deep ball it normally isn't disastrous. Every once in a while a 30-40 yard pass gets returned for a long return. But usually those the intercepting guy gets taken down on that side of the field. It's the quick outs and slants that can be dangerous because sometimes it only takes a step or two for the player intercepting to have lots of green grass in front of him.

So if a deep ball is picked and we gain 30 yards of field position, well, that would be more than many of JBK's punts last year.

Yes, lots of teams have gone for the deep ball against us with third and long, figuring that if they got intercepted, our field positon wouldn't be much better than if they had to kick. Of course, it depends on the score.

Depends on how much separation our WR's can get. They all run 4.3. If they get behind the secondary and create some space, BJ can hit 50%. That's all that Holtz wants. So long as we don't get intercepted.

I agree with you, that our hard hitting, swarming defense should be able to create fumbles. Hopefully, they will do a better job in recovering them, then what they did last year.

I personally.. dont think that was an issue last year... i have a head full of grey hair watching him underthrow/overthrow wide open receivers...

As you said.. with the altitude adjustment... i'm sadly lacking faith in BJ... Here's to hoping he proves me wrong!

Edited by method
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I personally.. dont think that was an issue last year... i have a head full of grey hair watching him underthrow/overthrow wide open receivers...

As you said.. with the altitude adjustment... i'm sadly lacking faith in BJ... Here's to hoping he proves me wrong!

Maybe, he'll have an FSU flashback. LOL

I hope he saves that for FSU!

I think this next game... is a push for our season... the two after mean A LOT more.