• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Patrick Carter Set To Transfer To USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Carter Set To Transfer To USF

BRETT MCMURPHY

Published: Feb 17, 2005

TAMPA - Patrick Carter, rated one of the nation's top 20 quarterback recruits at Lakewood High in 2002, will transfer to South Florida from Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech's leading punt returner (8.4 yards average last year), Carter must sit out the 2005 season at USF and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

``Coach [Jim] Leavitt stayed on top of me, he was the most persistent,'' said Carter, who said he also considered Michigan and Oregon.

Carter said he provides USF an ``insurance policy'' at quarterback, but also can play wide receiver. The Bulls return starting QB Pat Julmiste, and Auburn transfer Courtney Denson is eligible this fall. Also, USF signed highly touted recruits Carlton Hill and Matt Grothe.

``Coach Leavitt was up front about them recruiting [Hill], hopefully he pans out,'' Carter said. ``I'd love to play wide receiver and return punts and kickoffs.''

Carter, the younger brother of New York Giants wide receiver Tim Carter, is attending Fairleigh Dickinson this semester and is running track unattached. One of the state's top prep sprinters at Lakewood, Carter said he plans to run track at USF.

DIG DEEPER: For the second time in three years, USF increased ticket prices for football games.

Prices for USF's season tickets increased 20 percent while individual game tickets also increased. The cost of the per- game tickets remained the same from 2004, but there is one fewer home game in 2005. USF moves from Conference USA to the Big East this fall.

``How can the school justify not lowering the price when there is one less home game in 2005?'' said Palmetto's Gerard Walen, a USF alum and season-ticket holder the past three seasons.

Walen said with USF moving kickoff times last season, including two 11 a.m. starts, he couldn't attend three of the six home games. ``I'd love to keep my season tickets, but I sometimes feel like I'm throwing away money,'' he said.

The Big East features several noon kickoffs, including its televised Big East game of the week.

Concerning the price increase, USF associate AD Tom Veit said it was necessary because of several factors, include the Bulls' move to the Big East and the ``quality of opponent has gone up.''

``This is about where we are as a program,'' Veit said. ``We still have a low-priced ticket. It's still mid-level in the Big East.''

Veit said USF's price structure ranks fifth among the eight Big East schools.

USF's 2005 home schedule: Florida A&M on Sept. 10, UCF on Sept. 17 and Big East games against Louisville, Cincinnati and West Virginia.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBLIFZFA5E.html

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

well i guess this good news balances out the potentially bad news with Hill

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

I highly doube we ever see Carter at QB, even if Hill doesn't make it.  Too many people on the roster to win the job between now and 2006.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

I like having all these options as opposed to what we have had to deal with the last 2 seasons. Lets start Banks.....er no PJ....uh that's not working, how about Gachette, Severino, can Andre Hall throw....?  ;D

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

can Andre Hall throw....?

Don't laugh, I think Andre threw a TD pass to Julmiste!

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

what happened to this kid?

why is he leavind GT?

8.4 yds return does that sound impressive?

we have speed and height at wr now with a good class coming in by the time he will be able to play.

this sounds like yet another of the many "see you later little usf" player who could have come here with better chances of making an impact chosse to go to the 'BIG school" now is coming back AFTER we have addressed our needs at their position.  

that said i hope he comes and becomes a stud for USF!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

what happened to hill

i have been in a trial for a week and lost touch with the world