• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Lands Ex-Michigan State Safety

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,765
  • Days Won:  3

USF Lands Ex-Michigan State Safety

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Feb 12, 2005

TAMPA - Former Michigan State free safety Robert Flagg, who started four games in three seasons for the Spartans, said he is transferring to South Florida to play his final season.

Flagg, of Miami Norland, played for the Spartans from 2001-03, before losing his scholarship after failing to make a 2.0 GPA, he said. He is attending Hillsborough Community College and plans to enroll at USF this summer and play in 2005.

At Michigan State, Flagg played 31 games, including four starts as a freshman.

``I played big-time ball at Michigan State,'' Flagg said. ``I'm just trying to have an impact here. I'm not Deion Sanders, I just want to play and fulfill my dreams. I have a never- say-quit attitude.

``USF has a pretty good organization. I like the team, I like my teammates, but I still have to prove myself.''

Flagg, 21, had an up-and- down career at Michigan State. He was suspended three games for violation of team rules and was held out of spring practice in 2003 because of academics. He also was charged with misdemeanor marijuana use in 2003, but pleaded not guilty and the charge was dropped.

``I had an academic situation and a couple of off-the- field problems early in my career,'' Flagg said. ``I messed up. It was a learning experience. I lived it; I learned.''

Flagg also was awarded the Michigan State Police Department Letter of Commendation. On Sept. 11, 2003, Flagg spotted a small child standing in the middle of a roadway. He pulled over his car, picked up the child and went door-to- door trying to locate the child's parents.

He then took the child to a nearby fire station, where the police were called and the parents eventually were located.

Flagg said Coach Jim Leavitt has not determined whether he will be on scholarship.

Also, linebacker Tyrone McKenzie, of Riverview, who left Michigan State after one season, said he remains undecided whether he will transfer to USF, Florida or Georgia.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

cant hurt to have another safety in the mix back there, we defintiely need it

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

not too happy about bringing a kid in who failed out of another university so he can play one season with the bulls.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

not too happy about bringing a kid in who failed out of another university so he can play one season with the bulls.

If Leavitt wants him it's good enough for me.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

If we've got the space available, it can't really hurt...

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  100

Why not take him?  He only has one year left, and may not even be on scholarship.  He obviously is a decent player, if he has an impact - great, if not - no harm done.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

i thought we had academic standards  ???

USF won't let him transfer in unless his GPA is above 2.0.  I presume that he failed some classes, and is making them up at HCC.  If that is the case, given grade forgiveness rules, he would be able to bring his GPA back up.  I wonder how long he's been at HCC, just this semester, or the whole year?

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

His comment about "big time ball" worries me.  I guess he thinks USF isn't big time ball?  WTF?  Michigan State hasn't faired well the past few years.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i guess kids that are coming in aren't what they are cracked up to be if we are bringing along this clown