• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This Is Just The Start for J R Reed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

This Is Just The Start

JOEY JOHNSTON

Published: Feb 5, 2005

JACKSONVILLE - This is Super Bowl XXXIX, a date with the defending champion New England Patriots. It's a new atmosphere for the Philadelphia Eagles.

But not for J.R. Reed, who is appearing in his second Super Bowl.

And he's an NFL rookie.

Impossible, you say?

Well, you don't know J.R. Reed, Philadelphia's kickoff returner and backup safety.

There he was in 1991, donning his helmet and shoulder pads, then heading to midfield at the old Tampa Stadium. The sellout crowd was buzzing. ``I wasn't nervous,'' Reed said. ``My mind was on performing, doing my job.''

J.R. Reed was 9 years old.

OK, it was the Super Bowl XXV halftime show.

But still, even then, Reed had to compete for his spot on the big stage, a Disney-produced football dance number, with Warren Moon in the foreground. Thousands of kids craved the opportunity. The NFL selected only eight youth football players.

``J.R. was so enthusiastic and excited about it [during selection interviews], and I think that's why he was picked,'' said Reed's mother, Dottie. ``He always had a special quality. He puts his heart and soul into it. If he wants to accomplish something, he'll accomplish it.''

The self-described ``unmotivated and trouble-making punk'' elementary-school student matured into a 4.33 grade-point average at Hillsborough, becoming the first of his siblings to graduate from high school. He left the University of South Florida with a degree in computer engineering and business administration.

The largely unwanted football prospect (two Division I college offers: USF and Indiana State) received some All-American notice and was drafted in the fourth round by Philadelphia.

``I'm playing in the league, going to the Super Bowl and getting a shot at a ring,'' Reed said. ``I guess life can't get better.''

Actually, it can.

Story Of Success

Here's the beauty of J.R. Reed, the reason you know he'll be just fine, no matter what happens Sunday night, no matter what happens next season or the next.

``His focus never was on the NFL,'' USF coach Jim Leavitt said. ``He was never distracted by that. It was always the next practice, the next game, his education. He knew if he made himself into the best player he could be, the NFL would come calling.''

``After a lifetime of coaching at this level, J.R. is one of the guys you can look at and say, `Hey, here's one who has his life and priorities in order,' '' Hillsborough coach Earl Garcia said.

Ask Reed if he has written a success story, and he smiles.

``It's a success story that isn't finished yet,'' Reed said. ``I think I set a standard, that nothing less [than getting your education] is acceptable.

``Football is temporary. Education is forever. But even more than that, I think my biggest success is going to be getting married and having kids. Raising a family.''

On New Year's Eve, with family gathered all around, he dropped to one knee and proposed to his college sweetheart, Stacci Sastre, a former USF soccer player.

Dottie was stunned.

``I knew it was coming, but not then,'' Dottie said. ``So typical of J.R. It was such a sweet moment and he wanted us all around to see it. He's such a family person.''

Reed said one of his biggest motivations is pleasing his mother, a constant supporting presence at his games. He hasn't had a relationship with his father, Herbert, since age 5.

Last season, when USF played at Memphis, Reed saw his father for the first time in 16 years. From the stands, the father witnessed his son's best game ever - three interceptions, a 96-yard kickoff return touchdown, another score on a fumble return.

``We talked, but he hasn't been around,'' Reed said evenly. ``He told me he'd be at the Super Bowl if we were there, but he didn't ask me for a ticket.

``It is what it is.''

Reed won't judge. He just knows his life will be different. He will be an example.

Knows What He Wants

At Hillsborough High, the students have been talking all week about J.R. Reed, the former Terrier, one of them, going to the Super Bowl. When he visits Terriers games, Reed is swarmed by players and kids who have the same question: ``How can I make it?''

Reed's answer always includes this: ``Stay in school.''

``I remember asking him if the [NFL] scouts were looking at him, what the future might hold,'' said Bill Crawford, a Hillsborough chemistry instructor who was Reed's senior homeroom teacher. ``He said, `If they don't take me, I'll rely on my degree.' J.R. has character.''

What he never had was prototypical size. At 5-foot-11 and 202 pounds, colleges and perhaps NFL teams looked for bigger, faster prospects. The Eagles saw something else.

``J.R. hit the ground running, literally,'' Eagles special teams coordinator John Harbaugh said. ``He's a north-south guy, in football and in life. He knows what he wants, and really goes after it. We love his style.''

Reed's long-term goal is to start at free safety, the spot occupied by Pro Bowler Brian Dawkins. The short-term goal is equally clear- cut.

``Get the kickoff, take it to the house,'' said Reed, who averaged 23.1 yards on kickoff returns and 31.7 in the playoffs.

If the Eagles win Sunday night's coin flip, Reed could be the first player to touch the ball in Super Bowl XXXIX. He would savor such a moment. And he can picture it: The ball floating through the air, flashbulbs popping all around, lighting up the Jacksonville night.

``It's just the start,'' he said.

The first night of the rest of his life.

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBJ0DL6T4E.html

There is also a video "Local Star Reed Enjoying Biggest Stage" which you can access from that link.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

great article about a terrific young man

I am proud JR is a BULL

we can only hope some of these top recruits we are now getting have the character that JR does.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  127

You said it......his story makes me proud to be a Bull!  I can't wait to see him play tomorrow night.

Go Bulls.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

You said it......his story makes me proud to be a Bull!  I can't wait to see him play tomorrow night.

Go Bulls.

Watching JR is really the only interest I have in this seasons SB.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

I hope we can continue to bring in student-athletes like J.R. Ditto ChiTownBull about him being the only thing for which I'm really watching this game.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I hope we can continue to bring in student-athletes like J.R. Ditto ChiTownBull about him being the only thing for which I'm really watching this game.

Bobcat99...While it is true that we have by necessity taken our share of recruits who failed to qualify over the years, I think if you look at it more closely you will be pleasantly surprised to find out that USF Football would have been near the top of C-USA in GPA over the last four years had we been a member all that time. USF Sports in general is usually right near the Top in C-USA in GPA year in and year out.