• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: McClain thinks his draft stock is rising

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

McClain thinks his draft stock is rising

By ADAM ADKINS | The Tampa Tribune

After turning in the best year of his college career in his final season at the University of South Florida, defensive tackle Terrell McClain is hoping to use his final time representing the Bulls to enhance his position as a prospect at the next level.

McClain will play in today's 86th annual East-West Shrine Game, a showcase at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, for college players considered potential NFL Draft picks. McClain, a first-team All-Big East pick as a senior, has spent the past week working out in preparation for the game, where he'll play for the East.

"I think I've been doing a good job, just playing like I play, going out there and making plays and trying to wreak havoc on the other side of the ball, on the other side of the line," McClain said of his practice time. "I think I had a good week of work."

A few pundits agreed. NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks wrote that McClain was among the players who created a buzz this week among scouting circles, and ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay, the director of college scouting for Scouts, Inc., listed McClain as the second-best draft prospect in the game behind defensive tackle Marvin Austin of North Carolina.

McClain said he received good feedback from NFL scouts in attendance this week, saying that they commended him for his effort and focus. USF defensive-tackles coach Kevin Patrick said he wants to see McClain build on that by making a splash on the field, which he will go a long way toward enhancing his draft stock.

"I think in a game like this you've got to show you're a true difference maker," said Patrick, who said he thinks McClain will be the next in a growing list of Bulls defensive linemen to make NFL rosters. "You got to go out and be a playmaker."

McClain will have another shot to impress NFL scouts next month after receiving an invitation to the Scouting Combine, which will be held Feb. 23-March 1 in Indianapolis.

Still, he believes the past week has been very beneficial, and he's looking to end it on a positive note.

"I think this has helped out a lot, getting my name out there," he said. "I'm looking forward to going out there and having a good game."

Link

Archived