• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Bay Rays receive little support-for-new-stadium - survey from public

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Tampa-Bay-Rays-receive-little-support-for-new-stadium121029364

I really hope Tampa doesn't lose this team.  There is support from the Tampa Chamber of Commerce but by the looks of this article the public could care less if we lose the team.

"

A St. Petersburg Times/Bay News 9 phone survey revealed that two-thirds of Tampa area residents surveyed (300 apiece in Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties) would not support a taxpayer-funded facility, even if it meant the Rays would leave town. According to the survey, only a quarter of Tampa area residents were in favor of a tax increase to fund a new stadium for the Rays, whose current home, the Tropicana Dome, is considered one of the most outdated in Major League Baseball. The results were reported earlier this week in editions of the St. Petersburg Times.

"

I'm not really a fan of baseball (I enjoy going to the game - just not watching it on TV) but I do realize how important sport teams are to cities that are a mid-level market like Tampa.      A new stadium in downtown Tampa would help revitalize the city much like it does others. 

I hope the owners don't pull an Baltimore Colts move (leave the city in the middle of the night)

• Content Count:  1,165

That's not really shocking to hear. 

Maybe people feel that the multimillionaires who make millions in revenue should foot the bill for a new stadium, not the middle and lower class that contribute to said revenues. Not to mention that with a new stadium, ticket prices will almost definitely rise.  So you are asking these people not only to pay for the stadium, but then to pay more to use the stadium once it's built, when many people cannot afford to attend games as it is.

Maybe people feel that the multimillionaires who make millions in revenue should foot the bill for a new stadium, not the middle and lower class that contribute to said revenues. Not to mention that with a new stadium, ticket prices will almost definitely rise.  So you are asking these people not only to pay for the stadium, but then to pay more to use the stadium once it's built, when many people cannot afford to attend games as it is.

Do you realize the owners agreed to pay half for a new stadium?  So if they agree to pay half and the private sector can fork out some cash....that leaves only a small amount the public needs to fund.  Also ...the Rays tickets are very affordable (unlike the BUCs tickets).  Everyone knows the reason the Rays attendance isn't better is primarily because of the stadium's location

Maybe people feel that the multimillionaires who make millions in revenue should foot the bill for a new stadium, not the middle and lower class that contribute to said revenues. Not to mention that with a new stadium, ticket prices will almost definitely rise.  So you are asking these people nodt only to pay for the stadium, but then to pay more to use the stadium once it's built, when many people cannot afford to attend games as it is.

Do you realize the owners agreed to pay half for a new stadium?   So if they agree to pay half and the private sector can fork out some cash....that leaves only a small amount the public needs to fund.   Also ...the Rays tickets are very affordable (unlike the BUCs tickets).  Everyone knows the reason the Rays attendance isn't better is primarily because of the stadium's location

There is no way private businesses in Tampa can pay the second half for a stadium.  Only cities like LA or NYC can fully pay for a stadium using local private companies.    Every other blue collar city will always require a small percentage of money from public taxpayers.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Wow. Half of an $600 million stadium? Very sweet of them.

Seriously though, the government does t have the money. If this was 5 years ago different story.

Archived