• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: USF Bulls aim to weather heated atmosphere in 'Swamp'

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

USF Bulls aim to weather heated atmosphere in 'Swamp'

By JOEY JOHNSTON | The Tampa Tribune

Now it's real.

Saturday, the University of South Florida Bulls (1-0) make their long-awaited trip to Gainesville. Sure enough, they relish this massive-upside opportunity against the No. 8-ranked Florida Gators (1-0). It has been the talk of USF fans all week â and all offseason.

But this type of reality â 90,000-plus fans and the withering, breezeless heat of Florida Field â can be especially harsh. Many UF opponents simply get Swamped.

"Two things you've got to make sure our players understand,'' USF offensive coach Steve Shankweiler said. "There's going to be a big storm early. You've got to weather that storm, whether it's the fervor of the game or the crowd noise.

"But it's more than just the noise. It's the speed at which Florida plays. Everybody has defensive backs. Everybody has receivers. But there are very few teams in this country that have a defensive line and front seven that can run like that. You've got to maintain your composure against that group.''

That's where USF's veteran offensive line could be valuable.

That's where the calm, cool manner of sophomore quarterback B.J. Daniels could be the needed intangible.

"I like the continued poise of B.J. and I like our group up front,'' first-year USF coach Skip Holtz said. "I'd take them in any kind of setting.''

This setting features some intimidating history.

The Gators have won 50 consecutive home games against unranked non-conference opponents â dating to a 17-11 loss against Memphis State on Oct. 8, 1988 â and only four of those teams came within three touchdowns of UF.

"I don't know what the past says, I just know that we're confident in what we do,'' said Daniels, who engineered last season's 17-7 victory at Florida State University in his first career start. "The offensive line gets us going. It's a solid group of guys.

"It's their chemistry, the way they work together on and off the field, how hard they go at it. I'd trust them with anything. It starts with the offensive line.''

And USF's offensive line starts with senior center Sampson Genus â the other center in the game, if you will, as Florida's Mike Pouncey attempts to rebound from last week, when four of his bad snaps led to fumbles.

"Trust me, Sampson is one of the best centers in the nation,'' USF defensive end David Bedford said.

"Everybody looks up to Sampson,'' Shankweiler said. "He's not only a good player, but he's a genuinely good person, a team guy. And everybody else in our (offensive-line) room feeds off of that.''

Genus, a converted defensive lineman, started 12 games at center last season, when he was named second-team All-Big East Conference.

There's also left tackle Jamar Bass, left guard Jeremiah Warren, right guard Chaz Hine and right tackle Jake Sims, who combined for 40 starts last season. Additionally, tackle Mark Popek, who suffered a knee injury early in fall camp, has been cleared to play. Holtz said Danous Estenor, a promising prospect, will rotate in at guard.

"We have a lot of experience playing together and we spend a lot of time together, too,'' Sims said. "We all just kind of click and I think that's real important for an offensive line. I'm not afraid to go talk to somebody else and ask their opinion or tell them something. We share everything and don't keep any secrets. I think we're all unified in knowing we've got to get the running game going and keep those guys (defensive players) off of B.J.''

Holtz said last season's victory at Tallahassee will help USF's confidence, if only to remind his players they're capable of defeating a high-profile state rival on the road.

"You can talk about that level, you can read about it, you can watch it on television, but until you play against it, you can't simulate it,'' Holtz said. "I understand why people get so fired up for these geographical rivalry games. But we can't put all our eggs in one basket. This season is a marathon and this game is just one part.''

"The fans, I can understand their emotion,'' USF defensive back Mistral Raymond said. "And I must admit, it's going to be special to see those green and gold shirts, amid all those Gator fans. It's a great atmosphere and we will be ready.''

Now it's real.

It's the hottest game on USF's schedule. But to have success, the Bulls must stay cool.

Link

Archived