• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Notes, play-calling analysis from Florida’s 34-12 win over Miami (OH)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Notes, play-calling analysis from Florida’s 34-12 win over Miami (OH)

by Jason Lieser

The Gators’ season-opening win over Miami (Ohio) has been covered pretty thoroughly, but there are a few aspects of it we haven’t hit yet.

Here’s a look at some unmentioned post-game notes and a little statistical analysis of the play-calling:

[– Here’s the play-calling on first down: 16 run, four pass, one kneel down.

– Florida’s 16 first-down runs split this way: Mike Gillislee 6-55, Jeff Demps 4-6, Emmanuel Moody 4-16, Chris Rainey 2-6.

– The Gators average first-down gain was 4.2 yards.

– The only first-down play that gained a first down was Gillislee’s 41-yard run. One first-down run started at Miami’s 2-yard line and another resulted in a lost fumble. The remaining 17 first-down plays left the Gators with an average second-down distance of 7.9 yards to go.

– One of the most frustrating parts of the offensive struggles must have been the fact that Florida had great starting field position and did little with it. The Gators’ possessions started, on average, at their own 49-yard line. Florida had eight drives that began at their own 40 or better and these were the results: three lost fumbles, three touchdowns, a turnover on downs and a missed 44-yard field goal.

– Despite their great field position, the Gators reached the red zone only five times. The results: three touchdowns, a missed field goal and a lost fumble.

– Florida ran 13 plays in the red zone. The Gators called seven runs and six passes. Five plays resulted in zero or negative yardage.

– Demps had three touches in the red zone: two rushes for two yards, one catch for two yards. Gillislee had three runs in the red zone for eight yards and lost a fumble.

– Florida converted just 3 of 12 third downs (last year’s average was 49.2 percent, best in the SEC and No. 7 nationally).

– The Gators average distance on third down was 11.1 yards.

– All three third down conversions were passes (3rd-&-6 — 10 yds. to Deonte Thompson; 3rd-&-9 — 10-yd. TD to Omarius Hines; 3rd-&-4 — 8 yds. to Thompson).

– The Gators called a pass play on all 12 third downs. They had four third downs with four yards or fewer to go and converted only one, the eight-yard completion to Thompson.

– Of the Gators’ nine failed third-down conversions, they tried to convert five into first downs and were able to do so three times.

– Saturday was huge for a lot of new Gators to make their debut, but who had a more compelling story than back-up cornerback Jeremy Brown? He’s been in Gainesville since January 2008 and has not been able to play because of several back surgeries. Just stepping out onto the field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium was a breakthrough for Brown, then he tasted glory by intercepting Miami QB Zac Dysert with 3:35 left in the game.

“It’s just a blessing,†Brown said. “It really is. I remember I couldn’t even play, so just to be out there and have it fall right into my bread basket was just really a blessing.â€

Brown was nearly inactive. He hurt his ankle Thursday and was on crutches and in a boot through Saturday morning. With tears welling, he convinced coach Urban Meyer to let him play.

“Coach, please let me play,†Brown begged. “I’ma be ready.â€

Meyer relented and Brown enjoyed one of the highlights of his life.

“My guy was in a boot on crutches and he came back today with tears in his eyes and did a heck of a job,†Meyer said.

He caught the pick near Miami’s sideline and initially it was ruled an incomplete pass. Brown never thought it would go to review. He knew it was a catch. The first thing on his mind was gratitude for the moment.

“I’m just thankful,†he said. “Just thanking Jesus.â€

The more this guy talks, the better. He’s pure inspiration every time he opens his mouth.

– MLB Jon Bostic had a pick, too, and was excellent in his first start.

Bostic caught an ill-advised pass from Dysert by tipping it up, spinning around and catching it. He credited the interception to strong-side linebacker A.J. Jones who pressured the ball out prematurely on a blitz.

Meyer said he liked Bostic’s demeanor and defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said he is beginning to emerge as an authoritative voice.

“The big thing with Jon … was to take charge and be a vocal leader,†Austin said. “I saw him do that a few times. Jon, that’s his big thing right now: ‘Can I take charge? I’m the quarterback of the defense and I’ve got to be that guy.’ It’s a work in progress with him.â€

– C Mike Pouncey had several bad snaps, three of which resulted in fumbles and lost yardage. Brantley said in August and again in the post-game press conference there had been no problems with snap exchange. Meyer said otherwise.

“Been a little bit more of a problem than it’s been for a while,†he said.

Meyer saw bad snaps in the pre-season and now in a real game, and admitted it might deter Florida from operating out of the shotgun as often.

– Injury updates: Meyer expects DT Terron Sanders (sprained knee), DT Lawrence Marsh (unknown), LT Xavier Nixon (right knee) and TE Jordan Reed (right knee bruise) to be back for this week’s game. No word on the timetable for LT Matt Patchan (right wrist).

– CB Moses Jenkins was injured in the game and had his left arm in a sling. Meyer said it was elbow injury and did not know how long he would miss.

– Meyer reiterated a few times in his post-game press conference that effort was not the issue for Florida in its poor performance. The problems were rooted in inexperience and poor execution.

– Earl Okine, a tight end who moved to defensive end, was in at tight end Saturday and Meyer said the Gators will use him in short-yardage situations all season.

– Meyer said John Brantley’s short passes were more a result of Miami’s defense than Florida’s play calling. “There’s such a misunderstanding,†Meyer said. “You’re going to throw the ball where the defense tells you to throw it. We don’t call a play saying we want this for a short swing pass. It’s dictated by how the defense plays you.â€

– Brantley on what he said to Thompson after Thompson dropped a sure 44-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter: “Hey man, forget about it. Move on to the next play. Things happen. Dropped balls are going to occur. Just move on with it and let’s go on to this next play.â€

– Florida’s offense went scoreless for the first 17:23 of the game. After freshman Trey Burton’s touchdown run in the second quarter, there was another scoreless drought of 25:32.

– Each team had 212 total yards and 51 penalty yards.

– Time of possession: Florida 25:16, Miami 34:44.

– Safety Ahmad Black had a career-high 12 tackles, the highest of any Gator on Saturday.

– Burton lined up at quarterback, receiver, tight end and fullback.

– Rainey, who moved from running back to slot receiver in the off-season, led all Florida players with six catches. He picked up 34 receiving yards and caught a tipped pass for a touchdown.

– After the game, Miami coach Mike Haywood said, “My opinion is that we played dangerous and relentless. I think turnovers and a lack of discipline cost us the football game.†The RedHawks committed four turnovers, two of which happened in Florida territory and blew scoring chances. Haywood was a little reckless, too, turning the ball over on downs after a failed fake punt at his own 21-yard line. As for discipline, starting running back Thomas Merriweather, a senior, earned an ejection for punching DT Dominique Easley after Black’s interception in the first quarter.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorbytes/2010/09/05/more-post-game-notes-from-florida%E2%80%99s-34-12-win-over-miami-oh/

Archived