• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bball roster question(s)

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

I'm confused...

The NCAA guidelines list 13 scholarships as the limit for men's D-I bball teams. But teams have anywhere from 14-17 players on their roster.

1) How many walk-ons can a team have?

2) Do redshirts count as a scholarship ?

3) Don't transfers count as a scholarship (doesn't Buckley count)?

4) We have 14 players listed, including Mosley, but I thought we were missing 2 (Waters and Mobley)?

Somebody must not be on scholarship -who?

Thanks!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

Moss and Flowers were walk-ons last year. I'm pretty sure that neither have a scholarship this year either.    

• Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797

BBull, I thought Capko was a walk-on.  This might account for the discrepancy.

Yes, Buckley does count as one of our 13 scholarships.

Normal

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I think Normal is right, Capko is a walk-on.  So there are 3 walkons.

So 11 of the roster are Schollie players, + the 2 that left = 13

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Correct Velcro.....and we will more than likely be able to get Mosley a medical waiver to allow him to stay on scholarship and not count against our total next year.

Basketbull - to more specifically address your questions regarding numbers.  You are allowed 13 scholarship players.  Transfers and redshirts count.  I think you can have unlimited walk-on's but it would be too distracting to have too many.

We could sign 5 players for the incoming class.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

What I don't understand is that you can dress 15 for a game, but Stevie and Brandyn haven't been dressing this year.  Remember the one conference game we won last year Flowers made a decent contribution.  I guess Coach Mac doesn't want to get their hopes up, even for garbage time, but I wouldn't mind seeing them get a chance to check in once or twice as a reward for working hard in practice every day.  You gotta pull for the walk-ons, that's a college basketball tradition!  When we were in Cinci for the conference tourney a few years ago, the entire crowd was begging Huggins to put in this one kid, and he obliged.  We had a couple games where we started the "we want Al" chant in the student section for Alfred Ogden, and he did finally get on the floor.  

We had numerous times where we tried to get Kenyatta Jones in the game, and Seth didn't give in to the fan pressure, except once or twice, when we were already in foul trouble.  

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Luved it when KJ played.  Only thing I wonder if it didn't contribute to his ankle issues the next yr.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

What I don't understand is that you can dress 15 for a game, but Stevie and Brandyn haven't been dressing this year.  Remember the one conference game we won last year Flowers made a decent contribution.

TV/RADIO: 570-AM, 910-AM. RECORDS: USF 6-4; Texas-Arlington 5-3. COACHES: USF - Robert McCullum (13-24, second season; 57-69 overall). Texas-Arlington - Eddie McCarter (157-183, 13th season).

NOTES: This is USF's first game in nine days and its final non-conference game of the season. ... Texas-Arlington has struggled against bigger programs, losing its opener 90-61 to Texas Christian. ... The Mavs' best player is 6-foot-5 forward Steven Thomas, the lone returning starter from last year's 17-12 team. He averages 19.6 points. Also keep an eye on 6-8 freshman forward Jermaine Griffin (13.0 points). ... USF is led by senior forward Terrence Leather, who ranks third in Conference USA in scoring (18.9) and fifth in rebounding (8.6). ... Sophomore guard Brandyn Flowers, a walk-on who played in seven games last season, has left the team and withdrawn from school. Flowers had not dressed for any games this season. His departure leaves USF with 12 players on its roster, including two walk-ons. - GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

Sorry to see him go, but really, not a big deal.