• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Countdown To Kickoff Subject #2 - How to Beat The Gators - The Gameplan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  0

Not having the digitized game film of every Gators game over the last two years for review is not going to stop us arm-chair coaches from offering our "Beat the Gators" Gameplan.

I do not have the time, knowledge of both team's players or the film to really put something good together so I will let the rest of you refine things. Hopefully in the end we can come to a consensus that will result in a couple of bullet items for all three facets of the game. So here we go.

After putting out the positional analysis yesterday in subject #3, the response was "yeah, he was not a starter but so and so played a lot". So I have now included the 2009 (games played) and (defense - tackles made) or (offense - receptions made) next to the UF player's name if there  were stats available from UF.

USF Offense

Ok, a lot of the reserves on UF's defense did get in games last year.

2010 Florida Starting Defense (2009 games played) (tackles made)

DE 94 Justin Trattou (13) (17)  6’4†255    Sr

DT 99 Omar Hunter  (14) (17)  6’0†307    So

DT 6 Jaye Howard    (12) (29)  6’3†302    Jr

DE 44 Duke Lemmens (11) (10) 6’3†250  Sr

WLB 40 Brandon Hicks (13) (32) 6’2†228  Sr

SLB 16 A.J. Jones    (11) (37)    6’1†226    Sr

MLB 43 Jelani Jenkins (2) (2)    6’1†223    Fr        WR 9 Evan Landi          6’3†221    So

CB 8 Jeremy Brown  (0) (0)    5’10†184    So      WR 81 Dontavia Bogan  6’1†188      Sr

CB 1 Janoris Jenkins  (13) (38) 5’11†184  Jr

FS 10 Will Hill        (14) (42)      6’1†207  Jr

SS 35 Ahmad Black  (14) (70)  5’9 190    Sr

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  0

OK....I got burnt by an accidental posting and the edit timing out...see the remainder below (maybe a mod can delete the initial entry?):

Not having the digitized game film of every Gators game over the last two years for review is not going to stop us arm-chair coaches from offering our "Beat the Gators" Gameplan.

I do not have the time, knowledge of both team's players or the film to really put something good together so I will let the rest of you refine things. Hopefully in the end we can come to a consensus that will result in a couple of bullet items for all three facets of the game. So here we go.

After putting out the positional analysis yesterday in subject #3, the response was "yeah, he was not a starter but so and so played a lot". So I have now included the 2009 (games played) and (defense - tackles made) or (offense - receptions made) next to the UF player's name if there  were stats available from UF.

USF Offense

Ok, a lot of the reserves on UF's defense did get in games last year. The two in red below appear to have little or no experience. Lets go after them. One thing that you will notice also is the height advantage over their corners and safeties. We need to go big with tight ends as well and see if our big bodies can block out the smaller bodies on short button-hook type stuff over the middle. As said before, BJ the prototypical pocket passer is going to have to wait for the WKU and FAU games later on. This game is a no-holds barred and his scrambling ability is one thing that could be the x-factor in the game (that and the use of our tall receivers). He is like our Demps available to go on every play. I want at least one back on every pass play to protect and then go out as the safety valve. We never had that in the previous three years and BJ would have to take off himself. I would design a run play similar to FSU early on so that UF keys on him. Then rollout like you are going to do same thing and hit your TE on the run. Hopefully we can utilize TJ Knowles and his height on the small CBs as well.

2010 Florida Starting Defense (2009 games played) (tackles made)

DE 94 Justin Trattou (13) (17)  6’4†255    Sr

DT 99 Omar Hunter  (14) (17)  6’0†307    So

DT 6 Jaye Howard    (12) (29)  6’3†302    Jr

DE 44 Duke Lemmens (11) (10) 6’3†250  Sr

WLB 40 Brandon Hicks (13) (32) 6’2†228  Sr

SLB 16 A.J. Jones    (11) (37)    6’1†226    Sr

MLB 43 Jelani Jenkins (2) (2)    6’1†223    Fr       

CB 8 Jeremy Brown  (0) (0)    5’10†184    So                                  WR 81 Dontavia Bogan  6’1†188      Sr

CB 1 Janoris Jenkins  (13) (38) 5’11†184  Jr                                    WR 9 Evan Landi          6’3†221    So

FS 10 Will Hill        (14) (42)      6’1†207  Jr

SS 35 Ahmad Black  (14) (70)  5’9 190    Sr

USF Defense

Well, everyone knows we have to rattle Brantley early and don't allow him to gain any confidence. Can our front four do that enough? Probably not.  I believe we are going to have to send at least one extra player in almost every play. They will either max protect him early on or he will throw ball away usually when noticing pressure (he sailed the ball out of bounds a lot in their spring game). We also have to send the extra pressure from all different angles. Delayed LB blitz (picks the hole left by the engaged o-lineman) would work. I would also like to see a corner blitz like Ronde Barber does all the time. Line up on slot receiver and then take off for the QB at the snap of the ball....would be sweet. Biggest concern is containing Demps before he turns the corner and the afterburners go off. J Williams needs to take care of this.

2010 Florida Starting Defense (2009 games played) (receptions made)

QB 12 John Brantley (7) 6’3†220    Jr

RB 2 Jeff Demps  (14)  (8)  5’8†190    Jr

TE 82 Omarius Hines (13) (14) 6’0†290    So

WR 3 Chris Rainey  (14) (10)    5’9†178    Jr

WR 9 Carl Moore    (0) (0)      6’4  217    Sr

WR 6 Deonte Thompson (12) (24) 5’11†203 Jr

RT 74 Maurice Hurt      6’3†320    Sr

LG 57 Carl Johnson    6’5†355    Sr

RG 66 James Wilson  6’3†315    Jr

C 55 Mike Pouncey      6’4†310    Sr

LT 76 Marcus Gilbert  6’5†320    Sr

USF Special Teams

Well, it looks like Bonani is doing kickoffs and Schwartz is handling field goals and extra pts. Please Maikon, kick the ball away from Demps and 5 yds deep in the endzone.....can he kick in the endzone consistently? Guess we will see this Saturday.

Florida clearly has better kicker and punter with experience. We must do better than last year in return yards and our coverage. Special teams could doom us before our offense or defense even gets started.

Archived