• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If I was one of four Big 12 schools left out of the musical chairs

iif Mizzou stays then big12 keeps AQ status.  team would be lined up to join big12

Actually no... Missouri staying in the Big 12, assuming the Pac-16 conference happens, would mean FIVE teams with Kanas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor (or Colorado).

The New York Times said this:

If the Pac-10 swiped six teams from the Big 12 and Missouri or Nebraska went to the Big Ten, the Big 12 would become defunct. Under N.C.A.A. guidelines, a conference needs at least six universities that have played together for five years. The Big 12 would lose its Bowl Championship Series bid and automatic bid to the N.C.A.A. basketball tournament. That could leave colleges like Kansas and Kansas State to be snapped up by the Big East, which could be its best bet to continue using the lure of a B.C.S. bid for football recruits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/sports/07conference.html

It would be the best bet, but didn't the ncaa give the big east a hardship AQ when they were raided.  They could possibly do the same with the big 12.  There were only 5 teams left over in the BE raid if I remember correctly.

First, the NCAA does not grant AQ's for the BCS - that us up to the BCS.  The NCAA rules are probably for the men's and women's tournaments.

Thus, when the Big East lost 3 members (Miami, VT, and BC), the Big East still had ELEVEN teams left that had been playing for more than five years.  (Syracuse, U Conn, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers, Georgetown. Villanova, St Johns, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, and Providence).

Guest Scherdin

They will bring back the SWAC...

The SWAC exists... http://www.swac.org/

You're thinking the Southwestern Conference... (SWC) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Conference

Yep...when the Big 8 expanded to the Big 12, it basically dissolved.  Now that KU, KSU, Baylor or CU and ISU are hanging in the balance...someone will step in and try to bring it back...kind of like a throw back :D

iif Mizzou stays then big12 keeps AQ status.  team would be lined up to join big12

Mizzou is not going to stay in the Big 12 nor is Nebraska.

This is somewhat like a hostile corporate takeover.  The assets are being broken up and sold off.  The Pac-10 wants Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Colorado, but they do not want Baylor.  This causes a problem for the other Texas schools because there are too many Texas State Legislators that are graduates of Baylor.  They won't let the others go unless Baylor goes with them.  That's how Baylor got into the Big 12 in the beginning.

The Missouri Board of Curators will meet Friday and they will go into a closed door session BEFORE their meeting.  This is a bit odd because in the past when they've gone into a closed door session it's always been at the end of the meeting.

I think the Big 10 is going to add Missouri, Nebraska and Rutgers then the PAC-10 will scoop up Colorado and the Texas teasms, the ACC and the Big East will combine forming 3 super conferences leaving the SEC standing flat-footed.

Media reports seem to indicate the Big Ten is a little cool on Missouri... but I would tend to agree they should be headed to the Big Ten - but it might be a few more weeks before it happens (with the Big Ten waiting on Notre Dame).

Also, I am not sure the 7-team Big East football players (8 minus Rutgers) and 12-team ACC would form a 19-team mega conference... (or even 27 teams if the BBallers come along for the ride).

No, that may be the way it is being perceived by the media and outside observers, but AD Mike Alden and Chancellor Brady Deaton have remained extremely calm and tight lipped through this whole ordeal.  I think Missouri was a done deal no-brainer from the beginning and so was Rutgers then the Big 10 then went after Nebraska.

True - and we haven't heard any reports from Missouri politicians begging the Big 12 to stay together.  That could be a telling sign.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

I think Mizzou gets left out.  There program is underwhelming

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

Actually no... Missouri staying in the Big 12, assuming the Pac-16 conference happens, would mean FIVE teams with Kanas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor (or Colorado).

The New York Times said this:

If the Pac-10 swiped six teams from the Big 12 and Missouri or Nebraska went to the Big Ten, the Big 12 would become defunct. Under N.C.A.A. guidelines, a conference needs at least six universities that have played together for five years. The Big 12 would lose its Bowl Championship Series bid and automatic bid to the N.C.A.A. basketball tournament. That could leave colleges like Kansas and Kansas State to be snapped up by the Big East, which could be its best bet to continue using the lure of a B.C.S. bid for football recruits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/sports/07conference.html

It would be the best bet, but didn't the ncaa give the big east a hardship AQ when they were raided.  They could possibly do the same with the big 12.  There were only 5 teams left over in the BE raid if I remember correctly.

First, the NCAA does not grant AQ's for the BCS - that us up to the BCS.  The NCAA rules are probably for the men's and women's tournaments.

Thus, when the Big East lost 3 members (Miami, VT, and BC), the Big East still had ELEVEN teams left that had been playing for more than five years.  (Syracuse, U Conn, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers, Georgetown. Villanova, St Johns, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, and Providence).

ok i meant bcs not ncaa.  Do the basketball schools have anything to do with the football schools???  The BCS is only affiliated with the football schools, so there would have only been 5 members at the time.  syracuse, wvu, rutgers, uconn, pitt

ok i meant bcs not ncaa.  Do the basketball schools have anything to do with the football schools???  The BCS is only affiliated with the football schools, so there would have only been 5 members at the time.  syracuse, wvu, rutgers, uconn, pitt

Sure , you are right there... but the BCS is an agreement among conferences - not something subject to regulations per se... I wonder if the BCS contracts require the same six-teams-for-five-years requirement.

Archived