• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If I was one of four Big 12 schools left out of the musical chairs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

I would collect the $80 million penalty for leaving, pickup the best nonBCS teams.  Off the top of my head

TCU

Boise State

Utah

Houston

BYU

Tulsa

SMU

fill in the blank

still keep the Big 12 brand.  may lose AQ but good chance to still have a very competitve conference with many respectable teams. 

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I would collect the $80 million penalty for leaving, pickup the best nonBCS teams.  Off the top of my head

TCU

Boise State

Utah

Houston

BYU

Tulsa

SMU

fill in the blank

still keep the Big 12 brand.  may lose AQ but good chance to still have a very competitve conference with many respectable teams. 

absorb the MWC

• Content Count:  178

Kansas, KSU, Baylor and Iowa St. -- not exactly football powerhouses. I would think the MWC would take them in. Be prepared for congress to decide which conferences get auto-bids. This will get messy -- I really don't see how it won't. Just think about it, a bunch of guys get together and form a supergroup -- which has a trickle down effect, creating more supergroups. Then, they say, "hey our conferences are ridiculously competitive - only we are deserving of auto-bids". then, everyone else is like eff off and congress steps in. whatever. i need to find a way into the money making machine that is ncaa football. what a crock of crap. can anyone give me an example of anything like it in the world?? where amateurs generate the types of revenue that ncaa football does??

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Just think about it, a bunch of guys get together and form a supergroup -- which has a trickle down effect, creating more supergroups. Then, they say, "hey our conferences are ridiculously competitive - only we are deserving of auto-bids". then, everyone else is like eff off and congress steps in.

Wait....are you saying congress broke up supergroups such as Bad English, The Traveling Wilburys, Dam# Yankees and Velvet Revolver?!?

I knew I hated Congress!  :D

Kansas, KSU, Baylor and Iowa St. -- not exactly football powerhouses. I would think the MWC would take them in. Be prepared for congress to decide which conferences get auto-bids. This will get messy -- I really don't see how it won't. Just think about it, a bunch of guys get together and form a supergroup -- which has a trickle down effect, creating more supergroups. Then, they say, "hey our conferences are ridiculously competitive - only we are deserving of auto-bids". then, everyone else is like eff off and congress steps in. whatever. i need to find a way into the money making machine that is ncaa football. what a crock of crap. can anyone give me an example of anything like it in the world?? where amateurs generate the types of revenue that ncaa football does??

The problem is the bottom of the MWC -- and the MWC can't really kick them out.

So the "Big 12-7/8" would be in a better position to do the inviting.  They could pick the best of the MWC, WAC, C-USA West and build a solid western conference - better than the current MWC, for sure.

The problem is the bottom of the MWC -- and the MWC can't really kick them out.

So the "Big 12-7/8" would be in a better position to do the inviting.  They could pick the best of the MWC, WAC, C-USA West and build a solid western conference - better than the current MWC, for sure.

MWC teams would have plenty of pull even if they are joining the league

iif Mizzou stays then big12 keeps AQ status.  team would be lined up to join big12

iif Mizzou stays then big12 keeps AQ status.  team would be lined up to join big12

Actually no... Missouri staying in the Big 12, assuming the Pac-16 conference happens, would mean FIVE teams with Kanas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor (or Colorado).

The New York Times said this:

If the Pac-10 swiped six teams from the Big 12 and Missouri or Nebraska went to the Big Ten, the Big 12 would become defunct. Under N.C.A.A. guidelines, a conference needs at least six universities that have played together for five years. The Big 12 would lose its Bowl Championship Series bid and automatic bid to the N.C.A.A. basketball tournament. That could leave colleges like Kansas and Kansas State to be snapped up by the Big East, which could be its best bet to continue using the lure of a B.C.S. bid for football recruits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/sports/07conference.html

• Content Count:  771

Actually no... Missouri staying in the Big 12, assuming the Pac-16 conference happens, would mean FIVE teams with Kanas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor (or Colorado).

The New York Times said this:

If the Pac-10 swiped six teams from the Big 12 and Missouri or Nebraska went to the Big Ten, the Big 12 would become defunct. Under N.C.A.A. guidelines, a conference needs at least six universities that have played together for five years. The Big 12 would lose its Bowl Championship Series bid and automatic bid to the N.C.A.A. basketball tournament. That could leave colleges like Kansas and Kansas State to be snapped up by the Big East, which could be its best bet to continue using the lure of a B.C.S. bid for football recruits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/sports/07conference.html

It would be the best bet, but didn't the ncaa give the big east a hardship AQ when they were raided.  They could possibly do the same with the big 12.  There were only 5 teams left over in the BE raid if I remember correctly.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the new big 12 still wont get an automatic bid

Archived