• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops: FIU beat Florida State today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

The issue here isn't the top-shelf ACC teams, of which there are 4-7 in any given year. Rather, it is of the middle-of-the-pack ACC teams that have squeaked into the NCAA field over the years, the 7-9 and even 6-10 teams. I think the ACC is going to have a harder time getting bids for those 6th-7th place finishers than it used to, because their RPI and SOS will be dragged down by the Miamis of the world.

Even now, bottom-half ACC teams have a lot of bad losses (VMI, South Carolina State, TAMU-Corpus Christi), and a run of cupcake wins that would make John Thompson diabetic. I've studied the RPI enough to know that this influx of badness will have a negative effect on the league's ratings as a whole.

The top of the ACC is great. It's the middle and bottom that are lacking. Always have, really, but the expansion will worsen things.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

Coach K and other baskeball heads were so against the ACC expansion for that reason. It just goes to show you that football is running the show right now. Boston College is going to hurt because of all the travel they will now have to do. I also believe that teams in the BIG EAST wont schedule Boston College any longer because of the move.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i don't feel sorry for acc

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

The ACC is still ranked tops in both RPI and Sagarin this year.

If you want to look at a league who is being dragged down by it's bottom five teams, look at C-USA, who is #9 is RPI and Sagarin but stands to put 4 teams into the NCAA tournament.