• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I think we all need to give the marketing..

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

department some credit this season. I know the promotions were not that good, but there are a lot of other things that the adminstration has done to help USF.

1) USF now has games televised by the SUNSHINE NETWORK. This helps with state recruiting because it will showcase our programs throughout the state.

2) USF is showing the replays of games on BrightHouse Networks channel 47. For years, I have been wanted a station that would do this besided that WUSF-TV crap.

3) USF womens basketball will be on TV on BRIGHTHOUSE Networks CH 47 this season.  

4) USF made the change to a better radio station that comes in more clear than the old 1010am. Sure I would love to have them on 620, but that will never happen until USF gets a better fan base.

5) USF games can be heard over the internet, so that all the out of town USF fans can listen to the games. That was needed for a long time. I am willing to bet that this will help keep alumni interested in USF.

6) USF made a change to a better logo to brand the product better. That was a risky move to take because they could have made a change for the worse. I know alot of programs that changed their logo only to make it look worse.

I know we give the USF adminstration alot of crap, but we have to give them  some credit on those aspects.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Very good points, and yes we tend to hammer the marketing department relentlessy.

While some of it is deserved, let us not forget that, at the same time, it's also fun to tell other people how to do their jobs from the safety and anonymity of the internet.  ::)

I still think USF should be taking out one full-page ad in the sports section of the Trib prior to each home game.  Do some more billboard / tv/ radio advertising.

Advertising to me (Wooly) is a waste , 'cause I'm going to be there regardless. It's the great unwashed who need exposure to USF football.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

From the letters to the sports editor in today's Tribune re: the piece on USF's attendance last week:

USF Has Only Itself To Blame For Attendance

Published: Dec 12, 2004

Hogwash! Mr. Woolard and Mr. Veit need to stop using every excuse in the world to describe the low attendance at the USF football games (``What's Up - Make That Down - With Football Attendance,'' Dec. 9). The reason is as plain as day. The program lacks PROMOTION, PROMOTION, PROMOTION. How's this for a slogan: ``USF Athletics ... the best-kept secret in town.''<

SANDRA BRICKNERTampa

Duke: That would work

http://tampatrib.com/sportsnews/MGB27R2RM2E.html

Woolly,

I wonder how much it would cost USF now to get a full page in the Tampa Tribune now because we are now in a partnership with the ST PETE TIMES. I noticed that the ST Pete Times is advertising alot for USF as they feature us on some of their commercials. I remember a short few years ago that the ST PETE TIMES would not help promote USF because we were with a partnership with the Tampa Trib. Now, I think it is just the oposite. I have noticed alot more bad articles coming from the Trib this past year than I have with the Times. I guess the bias is kind of crazy at times.

Guest HowieP1

IMO, we need to turn the Spring game into a real happening like Louisville does, in order to build excitement for the upcoming football season as we head into the Big East.

Football promotion can't just start in August.

Howie,

I agree in that they will need to push the BIG EAST hype as much as they can. They need to make it a point that USF earn a BCS bowl game in the BIG EAST.

Guest HowieP1
Howie,

I agree in that they will need to push the BIG EAST hype as much as they can. They need to make it a point that USF earn a BCS bowl game in the BIG EAST.

Louisville has been HYPING the Big East all year. They even threw a huge Big East block party this summer. I understand that we didn't want to ruffle C-USA feathers at the time, but we can't wait until we complete all C-USA sports this year before we start branding ourselves as a Big East team.

I think the advertising for the Spring Football Game would be the most appropriate time to kick off our connection to the Big East.

We should consider moving the game to a friday or saturday night and play a REAL full contact game rather than the half ass game we do now.

Look what Louisville did:

Cardinals To Host Spring Game Festival

Live music and pig roast highlight April 16th game

March 29, 2004

The 2004 University of Louisville Spring Football Game will be much more than just a scrimmage this year -- it will be one of the biggest events in the history of Cardinal football.

The spring scrimmage on Friday, April 16 will provide Cardinal fans with a fun evening of football and entertainment. Kickoff for the spring contest is at 7:30 p.m. at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. Admission is free and open to the public.

Gates to the stadium will open at 3:00 p.m. on Friday with the tailgate lots open to the public at Noon. A post-game autograph session will also take place on the field approximately 10 minutes after the game.

Local bands, The Muckrakers and Breckinridge will perform outside of Gate 3 before and after the game.

Deion Branch and Ted Washington, who were members of the 2004 Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, will be in attendance, along with many other former Cardinal football greats.

A pig roast will take place in the Street Fest area and concession stands will be open throughout the concourses.

http://uoflsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032904aaa.html

They had 12,200 people attend, which is probably 10,000 more than we had for our game.

April 16, 2004

Red Team Outlasts White: 49-10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Willinger

CardinalSports.com Staff Writer    

Three weeks of spring practice came to a spirited conclusion Friday night as the University of Louisville football team held its annual Red-White Scrimmage at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

A record crowd of 12,200 Cardinal fans watched as starting quarterback Stefan LeFors guided the Red team to a 49-10 victory. On a picture perfect night, LeFors spread the wealth by completing 30 passes to four receivers for 424 yards. Mixing a healthy dose of the run and pass, the Red team recorded 609 total yards.

http://louisville.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=286198

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Well...what would you want to do on a beautifl spring day in scenic Louisville, Kentucky....as opposed to a beautiful spring day in Tampa (pointe du vacation) Florida?

I think turning it into more of an "event" would be the way to  go (BBQ, low-rent bands, etc.). As it is now, only the the die-hard fans are going to attend that thing down at the stadium.  

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

The last few Sunday's, I've had a Tampa Bay Storm flyer wrapped around my paper when I took it out of the plastic wrapper in the morning.  You can't help but look at it.

I wonder who does the Storm's marketing?

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know if many of you know this we really don't have a marketing department.  Tom Veit is pretty much it, he did have an assistant but she left about a month or so ago.  So as far as a "marketing department" we don't have one.  

I think that is our number one problem.