• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Rugby is in the USA Rugby South Division 2 Quarter Finals Playoffs!

Guest nybullsfan

Guest nybullsfan

{EDIT: We are in the USA Rugby South Division 2 Quarter Finals Playoffs!

See [glow=yellow,2,300]Reply #10 [/glow]in this thread for details}

It's rugby post-season again folks, and USF is still playing!

Head out to the USF fields to support your team on Saturday March 6 and Sunday March 7.

USF defeated FAU last Saturday 48 - 14 to guarantee USF a place in the Florida Cup finals weekend on Saturday March 6 and Sunday March 7 @ USF from 12 noon to 5:00 PM

The win also guarantees USF a place in the USA Rugby South Quarter Finals to be held on March 20.

The top 4 sides are currently:

#1 UF (DI)

#2 FSU (DI)

#3 USF (DII)

#4 Eckerd (DII)

However' date=' FSU and Eckerd still have a match to play, which will be at Eckerd on Saturday, February 27.  If FSU win, USF will be #3.  If Eckerd win Eckerd will be #3 and USF #4 for the Florida Cup weekend. 

#1 will play #4  and #2 will play #3 on Saturday 3/6 with the final and 3/4 play off on Sunday, 3/7. The weekend (3/6 & 3/7) results will determine which DII side will be #1 seed in Florida and therefore have the home USARS Quarter Final.

I will update you next week of the final rankings - BUT - USF will be playing either FSU or UF on Saturday, 3/6.

Come out and support us!

Gordon

Florida Cup Championship will be held in Tampa at USF March 6 & 7.

Top 4 teams will play Saturday and Sunday.

Top D1 team will move on to South Championships

Top 2 Eligible D2 teams will advance to South quarter-finals EDIT: That means us!!

Good luck to all for the remainder of the season!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

didnt FSU use to be division II? could be completely wrong but i remember we beat FSU last year or the year before pretty bad so just assuming they were same division...

Guest nybullsfan

didnt FSU use to be division II? could be completely wrong but i remember we beat FSU last year or the year before pretty bad so just assuming they were same division...

Could be. I think these are all club teams that are not officially sanctioned by the NCAA. So D1 and D2 probably have different meanings in Rugby than they would in Football or Basketball. I'm guessing D1 means Northern Florida and D2 means Southern Florida?

Can somebody confirm this?

• Content Count:  260

I played rugby for USF from 2000-2005.  Rugby is a club sport sanctioned by USA Rugby.  D1 and D2 are completely different here than in the varsity sports that fall under the NCAA.  Back when I played, I believe UF was the only D1 team in Florida.  The southeastern portion of the country in general didn't have many D1 teams.  A lot of the better rugby teams are in the west, Big10 country, and the service academies. 

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

why is usf d2?

They are working on being Division 1

http://oraclesports.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/usf-rugby-club-looks-to-go-division-i/

Want them to move up? Donate to the club!

Two factors to move up a division... be successful in your division (which they are) and be able to have the budget for it.

• Content Count:  260

Dogma is right about the D1 vs D2 thing.  Also, with limited D1 teams in FL, travel for games would be pretty extensive which is tough for a club team. 

Like I said earlier, when I played only UF was D1 so that meant every other school in the state was D2 and travel wasn't so bad for us.  UF had to go up to Georgia and Alabama for league games and maybe SC, not sure though. 

Usually we would play at least one tournament per year out of state.  Those were some good trips.  We played the Rugby South Finals in Myrtle Beach and the Elite 8 at Arkansas State back in 2002 (may have been '01 or '03, memory is going bad).  Many road trips to UF and UCF.  Good times.

Guest nybullsfan

OK, here's the scoop. Head out to the USF fields this weekend and support your USF Bulls Rugby team as they play FSU for the Florida Cup

The Florida Cup final four has now been settled:

#1 UF (DI)

#2 FSU (DI)

#3 USF (DII)

#4 Eckerd (DII)

On Saturday' date= March 6, starting at 12 noon:

USF"B" will play FSU "B"

UF will play Eckerd

USF will play FSU

On Sunday, March 7, at 12 noon, the winners will play off for the Florida Cup and the other 2 teams will play off for 3/4 place.  Both matches are vital matches as the teams could be playing off for seeding in the USA Rugby South Quarter Finals.  The winner of Saturday's USF "B"/FSU "B" match will play UF "B".

Both USF and Eckerd have qualified for the USA Rugby South Quarter Finals to be played on March 20,  but seeding will be determined by the results on Saturday, March 7 and Sunday, March 8.  #1 seed will play at home and #2 seed will travel to Georgia (the state not the country!).

All of the matches will either be on Fowler or one of the IM fields.  I will send a reminder e-mail to you later and will also confirm the field location.  But plan to be on USF Tampa Campus on Saturday, March 6 and Sunday, March 7.

Regards.

Gordon

Guest nybullsfan

Head over to the IM fields right after the UCONN game, you should be able to get there before the rugby game's over.

Hopefully, we'll be playing for the championship on Sunday!

Florida Cup Schedule - IM Fields, corner on Sycamore Drive and Elm Drive on USF Tampa camus:

Saturday, March 6

12:00 noon USF "B" v's FSU "B"

1:30 PM UF v's Eckerd

3;15 PM USF v's FSU

Sunday, March 7

12 noon UF "B" v's winner of USF "B" v's FSU "B"

1:30 PM 3rd/4th place play off

3:15 Florida Cup Championship match

Guest nybullsfan

The BasketBulls weren't the only big winners today!

Congrats to USF Rugby for beating FSU 19-12 and earning a #1 seed in the quarterfinals. Get out to the IM fields tomorrow at 3:00 and cheer them on to victory over UF to take the Florida Cup.

Thank you all that came out to support USF Rugby today.

USF (Division II) 19 defeated FSU (Division I) 12 on Saturday 3/6.

This puts USF into the Florida Cup final v's UF on Sunday 3/7 (3:00 PM) AND into the USA Rugby South Division II quarter final as Florida #1 seed.

As #1 seed. USF will play at home on March 20 v's a team from Georgia.

Bulls beat FSU today 19-12 to secure home field advantage for the South Quarterfinals.  USF plays UF tomorrow for the Florida Cup Championship.  Make it if you can.  Great turnout of spectators and Alumni today.  Thanks all of you.

Archived