• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

National Signing Day

Guest Calendar
Football National Signing Day is February 6th.

February 6 is a Sunday, so I would think that signing day is on a different date.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

February 6 is a Sunday, so I would think that signing day is on a different date.

if anyone(thing) would know, it is a calendar, so i'll take your word for it.

::goodbye::

Guest wildrover
Funny you should ask...Velcro and I are currently discussing our plans for Signing Day as well as some other technical issues.

The board is coming up on numerous hosting issues again.  We are just getting too big for most of these hosting sites, especially if we want to keep a large archive of old posts.  We certainly want to continue to do that, but the sheer size and number of the board's files create problems for econimical hosting options.

So we are looking at options weighing price, space, file counts, speed, reliability, backup capability and security.  We believe we have an option.  Hopefully it is one that will allow us protection when the board spikes to record high usage during times like Signing Day.

In the near future we may ask you to help us stress test the new site.   We have only a limited time we can remain hosted where we are now without experiencing major downtime.  We know we have to find another new home and hope to have it resolved soon.

Whatever happends just make sure you keep the tired of politics thread, I need that ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  686
  • Content Count:  7,657
  • Days Won:  6

You guys have a disaster prevention and recovery initiative?

Very impressive - sounds like something a fortune 500 would pursue.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

The Department of Thread Security

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

Oh, that's what it was last year sorry.  Maybe it's the 7th this year or something....someone look into it.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867

Personally, I would consider a software upgrade. I would consider a MySQL based forum software as they generally are more robust.  

The boards could be moved over as is, with very little lose of functionality.

I've set up several of them if you'd like some help.

NAM37

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  0

Just don't disable the Tired of Politics thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

NAM, This board is not database driven.  It creates a text file for every single transaction, and uses perl to read and write the files.

Converting this system to MySQL would take forever.  There are about 45k files that would need converting as well as the code that performs all the tasks would need to be changed.  It wouldn't be very easy to convert the software to use SQL, plus we'd lose support and upgrade help from the creators of the YaBB software.

MySQL might be a better option if we were to start off clean, but under the circumstances, it just doesn't quite fit our scenario.

I have written an ASP/Access version of this YaBB software and it is very fast, so i can imagine that MySQL would be that much better.  My version would still take forever to get all the text files into the database, even with an automated script.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867

NAM, This board is not database driven.  It creates a text file for every single transaction, and uses perl to read and write the files.

MySQL might be a better option if we were to start off clean, but under the circumstances, it just doesn't quite fit our scenario....

Actually... no.

I know the board is not database driven.  I know all the technicals.  In the past I have convert text based forums to MySQL based ones a couple of times (to both PHPBB2 and IPB).  Also, IPB for a small payment will convert your entire forum for you. They also offer good support. I currently use IPB for a large project (the site is www.certtalk.com and we are currently opening the site to the public after months of development) and it is very good software.

As I said before, I would have no problem helping in the conversion.  It is VERY doable.

NAM37