• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Safety Travis Bell (Belle Glade, FL) to visit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

January 17, 2010

Holliday snares two ex-WVU commitments

Herd lands at least four verbals on big recruiting weekend

Marshall coach Doc Holliday's Florida recruiting ties are already paying off - in a big way for the Thundering Herd.

By Mitch Vingle

Sports Editor

Advertiser

Marshall coach Doc Holliday's Florida recruiting ties are already paying off - in a big way for the Thundering Herd.

After hosting a large group in Huntington this weekend, the Thundering Herd received at least four commitments. All landed also had offers from BCS schools. Two had committed to Holliday's former place of employment, West Virginia University.

The two previously committed to WVU were safety Travis Bell of Belle Glade, Fla., and wide receiver Fred Pickett of Pahokee, Fla.

Marshall also received a nod from four-star safety Brian Robinson of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and athlete Antwon Chisholm, who at one time had committed to Mississippi State.

Bell, a 6-foot-2, 187-pound defensive back, said Sunday he had offers from Florida State, Miami, Wake Forest, South Florida, Florida International and WVU. He committed to WVU on Sept. 13.

"I liked the atmosphere at Marshall,'' Bell said. "I liked the coaching staff. I think I'll be comfortable there.''

Bell said he would play safety. He said he plans to follow through with visits to South Florida and Wake Forest.

Pickett, a 5-9, 165-pound speedster, had offers from Florida State and Florida International, but initially chose the Mountaineers back in May.

Robinson, however, appears to be Holliday's premier catch of the weekend.

After hosting a large group in Huntington this weekend, the Thundering Herd received at least four commitments. All landed also had offers from BCS schools. Two had committed to Holliday's former place of employment, West Virginia University.

The two previously committed to WVU were safety Travis Bell of Belle Glade, Fla., and wide receiver Fred Pickett of Pahokee, Fla.

Marshall also received a nod from four-star safety Brian Robinson of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and athlete Antwon Chisholm, who at one time had committed to Mississippi State.

Bell, a 6-foot-2, 187-pound defensive back, said Sunday he had offers from Florida State, Miami, Wake Forest, South Florida, Florida International and WVU. He committed to WVU on Sept. 13.

"I liked the atmosphere at Marshall,'' Bell said. "I liked the coaching staff. I think I'll be comfortable there.''

Bell said he would play safety. He said he plans to follow through with visits to South Florida and Wake Forest.

Pickett, a 5-9, 165-pound speedster, had offers from Florida State and Florida International, but initially chose the Mountaineers back in May.

Robinson, however, appears to be Holliday's premier catch of the weekend.

The safety, 6-foot, 180 pounds from St. Thomas Aquinas High, was given a four-star rating by scouting service Rivals.com.

"I know Doc Holliday is good people,'' Robinson said, "but the reason I decided on Marshall is because the people there will treat me good [in regard to] academics as well as athletics. I'd like to go into business management.''

He was offered scholarships by such schools as Miami, Mississippi, Rutgers, Tennessee and Wake Forest, among others.

"Some pulled back because of my grades,'' Robinson said, "but I will qualify.''

Chisholm, like Bell, is from Glades Central High in Belle Glade, Fla. A 5-9, 175-pound "athlete,'' Chisholm received offers from Mississippi, Mississippi State, Rutgers and FIU, among others. He was given a 3-star rating by Rivals.

"I just liked the coaches and that Coach Holliday got the head coaching job there,'' Chisholm said Sunday night.

He said he'd play running back, slot receiver and punt returner for the Herd.

Reach Mitch Vingle at 304-348-4827 or mitchvin...@wvgazette.com. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MitchVingle.

More Articles in Sports

Archived