• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First quotes from Skip Holtz, Doug Woolard

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

January 14, 2010

USF's sports information department has released the first quotes from new USF football coach Skip Holtz and Bulls athletic director Doug Woolard. Here they are:

Head Coach Skip Holtz

"I am very excited about the opportunity to become the head football coach at USF and to begin the next chapter in our lives.

Our family enjoyed five wonderful years in Greenville, and we wish Chancellor Ballard, Terry Holland and the entire Pirate Nation much success as they move forward.

This is a really special opportunity, and I am incredibly excited about joining the USF team.  I appreciate the confidence that President Genshaft and Athletic Director Doug Woolard have shown in me, and I am grateful for their support. 

I believe there are great things on the horizon for this program.  It's obvious to everyone that Coach Leavitt has built a successful program from the very beginning. There is a solid foundation in place that we will build upon.

My goal is to graduate our players, to foster their personal development and to establish USF as one of the premier programs in the country.

I have heard great things about the young men in our program from a variety of people.  I can't wait to meet with each one of them and to begin working together toward a BIG EAST championship.

I also know we have an amazing group of fans and a very passionate student body. It will take every single Bull banding together to achieve our goals, and I am truly looking forward to some special moments together."

Director of Athletics Doug Woolard

"We began a national search last Friday to find the very best coach possible to provide the partnership our football student-athletes deserve academically and athletically

We accepted applications, nominations and recommendations for a short amount of time.  Trust me there was a tremendous amount of interest in this opportunity. We then pointed the arrows the other direction and began visiting with individuals.

As I spoke to other athletic directors, coaches and conference office personnel, one name continued to surface - Skip Holtz. I will tell you, we are very fortunate to be able to announce Skip as our Head Football Coach. Coach Holtz's leadership qualities, his character, and his successful head coaching experience are exactly what we were looking for.  It is apparent that his relationship with the university community, students and fans are of great importance to Coach Holtz, and I am so pleased to welcome Skip, his wife Jennifer and children Trey, Chad and Hailey to USF and the Tampa Bay community.

Posted by Times Editor at 08:18:10 PM on January 14, 2010 in Football | Permalink | Comments (5)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/01/first-quotes-from-skip-holtz-doug-woolard.html#comments

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

January 14, 2010

USF's sports information department has released the first quotes from new USF football coach Skip Holtz and Bulls athletic director Doug Woolard. Here they are:

Head Coach Skip Holtz

"I am very excited about the opportunity to become the head football coach at USF and to begin the next chapter in our lives.

Our family enjoyed five wonderful years in Greenville, and we wish Chancellor Ballard, Terry Holland and the entire Pirate Nation much success as they move forward. he understands ECU might be down, but they'll get someone worthy, and have a good shot at being in the Big East in the future - esp if they're expanding their stadium as it was mentioned

This is a really special opportunity, and I am incredibly excited about joining the USF team.  I appreciate the confidence that President Genshaft and Athletic Director Doug Woolard have shown in me, and I am grateful for their support.   

I believe there are great things on the horizon for this program.  It's obvious to everyone that Coach Leavitt has built a successful program from the very beginning. There is a solid foundation in place that we will build upon. a nice gesture, perfectly being able to give JL his respect, without coming off in an overly positive nor negative manner - this guy seems to know how to make speeches

My goal is to graduate our players, to foster their personal development and to establish USF as one of the premier programs in the country. I'm sure any coach who came in here would say that, but I think his goals are simple and attainable.

I have heard great things about the young men in our program from a variety of people.  I can't wait to meet with each one of them and to begin working together toward a BIG EAST championship. wait til he starts spring practice and foams at the mouth at the talent running around out there; he may even wonder how we haven't done better.

I also know we have an amazing group of fans and a very passionate student body. It will take every single Bull banding together to achieve our goals, and I am truly looking forward to some special moments together." again, seems to really get "into" being a part of the program. ECU has a good fanbase, and I'm sure he's seen our bigger games on TV and knows this is big time football waiting to happen.

Director of Athletics Doug Woolard

"We began a national search last Friday to find the very best coach possible to provide the partnership our football student-athletes deserve academically and athletically

We accepted applications, nominations and recommendations for a short amount of time.  Trust me there was a tremendous amount of interest in this opportunity. We then pointed the arrows the other direction and began visiting with individuals.

As I spoke to other athletic directors, coaches and conference office personnel, one name continued to surface - Skip Holtz. I will tell you, we are very fortunate to be able to announce Skip as our Head Football Coach. Coach Holtz's leadership qualities, his character, and his successful head coaching experience are exactly what we were looking for.  It is apparent that his relationship with the university community, students and fans are of great importance to Coach Holtz, and I am so pleased to welcome Skip, his wife Jennifer and children Trey, Chad and Hailey to USF and the Tampa Bay community. we should feel good knowing that a guy who has scoffed at several other good opportunities has chosen us. also, don't know his kids' ages, but if any of them are getting grown up, hopefully they'll attend USF, and possibly help keep him here longer. or perhaps one or both of his sons follow the holtz legacy and get into coaching, just looking at the future.

Posted by Times Editor at 08:18:10 PM on January 14, 2010 in Football | Permalink | Comments (5)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/01/first-quotes-from-skip-holtz-doug-woolard.html#comments

bolded some things, my comments in red, which if he indeed wrote/said this, it's telling. i remember the ucf guy saying that o'leary wasn't using "our" and using "your" and stuff, as if he didn't believe in the program and it was just a job. looks like skippy has faith and enjoys getting engulfed in the school he's involved with. he bled purple, and i think he'll bleed green and gold as well.

Archived