• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Football Season Wrap with Senior Associate Commissioner Nick Carparelli

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Comment From MikeMike: 

I am a mountaineer fan who lives in Columbus Ohio. I have heard many times this year how big east fans complain about the amount of national coverage our league recieves. Personally, I think we get quite a bit of national coverage. Just want to say thanks for your efforts there and ask what is going on at your level and above to maintain and/or improve that situation.

Mike, thanks very much.   As the smallest football conference in the country, our eight teams, on average, receive as much national exposure as any other league in country.   Of the 28 conference games played this season 18 (or 64%) were on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU.   In addition, our Thursday night ESPN primetime package continues to be one of the most watched college football events each week.   Since you're a Mountaineer fan, you'll be happy to know that last Friday's Backyard Brawl was the single most viewed college football game in the history of ESPN2!

Comment From Bill SchneiderBill Schneider:

When will Notre Dame join the conference for football. If they refuse is there any consideration to asking them to leave?

If I had a dollar for every time I was asked that question, Bill!   Notre Dame has an open invitation to join the BIG EAST in football.   Currently, they feel that operating as an independent in football is in their best interest.   Until that changes, I do not expect that they will join any conference.   They continue to be a valuable member of the BIG EAST in all of our other sports.

Comment From ChrisChris:

Is the league seriously considering adding any teams? If so, who would you consider and why?

Conference membership is always a topic of discussion, Chris.   Currently, all 16 of our members add value to the league.   If there comes a point in time when a school outside of our league would add value to the BIG EAST, then we would certainly consider them.   At this point, we do not feel as though there is any such available program.

Nick, what actions would the Big East take if Nebraska were to upset Texas, and TCU was chosen over Cincinnati for the national championship game?

If Nebraska were to upset Texas and Cincinnati defeats Pittsburgh and finishes undefeated, we fully expect that they will play the SEC Champion in the BCS National Championship game.   A victory over Pittsburgh would mark the third win over a ranked opponent, which would further enhance their strength   of schedule advantage over the other viable national championship game contenders.   If at any time there are only two undefeated teams from BCS automatic qualifying conferences at the conclusion of the season, they should meet for the national championship.

Why isn't the Big East pushing for a possible second at-large bid to the BCS? For instance, if Cincy loses at Pitt, why should a one loss Cincy lose an at-large BSC bid over a two-loss Iowa, or an undefeated non-BCS school?

We definitely do, Jason.   We maintain a close relationship with the executive directors of the four BCS bowl games and their committees.   Not a day goes by that we do not speak personally to someone of influence and extole the virtues of the BIG EAST Conference in general and our at-large candidates in particular.   You can rest assured that the decision makers in college football are well educated about BIG EAST football.

http://www.bigeast.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92485&SPID=11215&DB_OEM_ID=19400&ATCLID=204842176

Archived