• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cape grad (Nate Allen) ready for big things

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Cape grad ready for big things

BY CRAIG HANDEL • CHANDEL@NEWS-PRESS.COM • AUGUST 31, 2009

TAMPA - Nate Allen has been called an ambassador of South Florida football.

New USF defensive coordinator Joe Tresey has known the senior safety just a few months and calls him "a coaches' dream."

Long-time friends and secondary mates Quenton Washington and Tyson Butler look to the Cape Coral High graduate for guidance.

Allen's sharp-looking and he speaks well. There's just not much bad to say about the guy.

But if a person wants to be a little picky, they can look at last season's stats and ask, 'What happened?'

After 76 tackles, four interceptions, three fumble recoveries, six pass break-ups and two touchdowns two seasons ago, Allen dipped to 53 tackles, one interception, no fumble recoveries, no pass break-ups and no touchdowns last year.

The late-game interception and 40-yard interception return against Kansas that helped the Bulls kick a last-second field goal and win 37-34 in week three last year? Fans thought that would happen every other week.

Allen said he's puzzled as anyone.

"I don't know, it's hard to say," Allen said after thinking for a few seconds. "It's not that I lost focus; I was focused. It just didn't come. But I'm definitely hungry to help the team out as much as I can."

While Allen will be asked to make a few more plays, he'll also be asked to be more of a leader. He's working with an inexperienced secondary that includes two sophomores.

"We're still learning each other," Tresey said. "He's a great role model, unbelievable. He has a great attitude and a great work ethic.

"But I'm a huge communication guy and we don't communicate well enough yet. There's gotta be communication on every snap, whether it's verbal or non verbal."

Allen agreed.

"Communication is the main thing back there," he said. "We struggled with communication last year, and being on the same page. I think we'll get that right.

"We're getting even closer in camp so we can be on the same page. We need to know what each other is thinking."

If Allen can lead and return to his big-play form, he'll be a high pick in the NFL Draft. Gil Brandt, former general manager with the Dallas Cowboys and a contributor to NFL.com, already likes him.

"He's a nice player," Brandt said.

So does Tresey.

"I think he can be really good," he said. "He keeps getting better and better. I think he's gonna have a heckuva season."

Link to Story

Archived