• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2009 Scouting Report- West Virginia (owner: CowbellBandit)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  412
  • Days Won:  0

Fresh faces: West Virginia

July 14, 2009 9:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

Our Big East fresh faces series concludes now with West Virginia.

For purposes of this discussion, I'm not going to include quarterback Geno Smith, since it's unclear at this point how long he'll be out with his recent broken foot. But here are three other summer newcomers worth watching in preseason camp.

Tevita Finau, DL: West Virginia fans have seemingly been waiting on Finau for years. The junior college transfer finally arrives this summer and brings with him a world of potential. A two-time regional defensive player of the year at Phoenix College, the 6-foot-5, 290-pounder from Hawaii had offers from several major schools. There's every reason to believe that Finau will contribute on the defensive line right away.

Tavon Austin, RB/WR: Austin set several Maryland high school records, including most career touchdowns and rushing yards (7,962). He had 34 touchdowns and averaged an amazing 12.2 yards per carry as a senior. At a listed 5-foot-9, 170-pounds, he's built in the mode of Noel Devine and has similar blazing speed. It should be fun to see all the different ways West Virginia tries to use him, a la Jock Sanders. You can count on Austin getting an immediate look on kick returns.

Shawne Alston, RB: The Mountaineers felt like they improved their short-yardage game during the spring. But if it remains a problem, Alston might present a possible solution. At 6-feet and 222 pounds, he appears to have some power behind his pads. He was one of the top offensive players in Virginia, rushing for 2,278 yards and 34 touchdowns as a senior to lead his team to its second straight state title. West Virginia has a glut of young skill players, but that's never a bad thing.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  46

Great articles.  The O-Line is the biggest ? right now, but they are a good group of players.  As long as fall camp goes well and we don't have any more injuries, they should gel and give Brown plenty of time to pass, since that's what our coaches seem to want to do more.  Another thing that will help the line is we have a real fullback this year.  The absence of Owen Schmitt last year hurt us a lot in the short yardage game.   Devine is the real deal at RB.  He just needs one block and he can take it to the house.  Our receivers should have a good year as long as protection holds up.  We have some tall receivers like we haven't had in a while.  Over all, I'm very optimistic.  Playing at Auburn and in Tampa against you all are going to be good road tests for this team.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

For those thinking that losing White is going to set WVU back, they are in for a shocker I believe.  This Brown kid is pretty good with some great experience.  Hopefully that defense lets them down bc that offense is going to have no problem putting up points...

I think they are going to be the biggest disappointment in the BE and I think their coach gets fired after next season.

But then again, maybe I am being hard on the guy who lost 4 games with Pat White and Noel Devine. . . . . . no I'm probably right about Stewart.

• Content Count:  2,213

People who praise Jarrett Brown never seem to mention his appearances against USF and Pitt in 2007, where he made absolutely no difference.

If players were stocks, I would be divesting myself of my shares of Jarrett Brown.  His stock will only go down once he takes the reigns full time.

• Content Count:  1,633

Great articles.  The O-Line is the biggest ? right now, but they are a good group of players.  As long as fall camp goes well and we don't have any more injuries, they should gel and give Brown plenty of time to pass, since that's what our coaches seem to want to do more.  Another thing that will help the line is we have a real fullback this year.  The absence of Owen Schmitt last year hurt us a lot in the short yardage game.   Devine is the real deal at RB.  He jsut needs one block and he can take it to the house.  Our receivers should have a good year as long as protection holds up.  We have some tall receivers like we haven't had in a while.  Over all, I'm very optimistic.  Playing at Auburn and in Tampa against you all are going to be good road tests for this team.

No one can honestly argue this statement.  Stewart and Brown will try to keep their jobs by handing it off to Devine as much as possilbe.  The only concern WVU should have is if he can take the beatings (and risk of injury) of that many carries.

Another big question mark this year is the kicking game.  And I'm not talking horrible kick coverage, either.  Right now, we have one kicker with any college experience and he is a transfer from Western Washington. 

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Stewart and Brown will try to keep their jobs by handing it off to Devine as much as possilbe.  The only concern WVU should have is if he can take the beatings (and risk of injury) of that many carries.

I agree with you to a point, but WVU has some very capable backs behind Devine.

http://www.themountaineernation.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2115

Here's the link to a thread on our board of the summer strength and conditioning numbers.  Feel free to check out the rest of the site, if you're looking for WVU info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello from Morgantown.  Hope you all are having a good fall camp.  I know if you're like us, Sept 5th can't get here fast enough.   Camp seems to be going well, but I'm far from being an insider.  Everyone who has been nursing injuries is progressing well and should be close to 100% by the opening weekend.  O-line seems to be working well together. The defense has been pretty solid.  Although, the red-zone offense has been taking it to them in situational scrimmages.   Had a big scrimage Saturday with another planned for today.  Weather has been hot ( not Florida hot) so hopefully that is helping conditioning.  Might rain on the practice today, which will be good to get some wet ball stuff in.  The kicking situation doesn't sound as bleak as when camp started.  But, we'll probably have Lider kicking off and Bittencourt kicking field goals and PAT's, although both have been doing well.  Tavon Austin has been pretty impressive for a freshman, and will probably get early playing time as a kick returner.  Sanders has been reinstated, but may still face some game suspension from the staff, probably not more than one game.  Geno Smith will probably be named the #2 QB after Saturday.   The legendary Tevita Finau is reported to be fully ready to join the team Friday.  Don't know how soon he'll be playing in games coming in this late.   A little known player to keep an eye on for those who like to do that sort of thing is Jordan Roberts.  He's a WV kid from a small HS who the coaches say hasn't realized he shouldn't be playing on this level.  All he does is work his tail off.  He was the scout team offensive player of the year last year and is fighting for playing time as a back-up RB.  I know it makes me a homer, but I like to see these local kids do well.  As far as Brown and Devine and the rest of the "stars"  they are all going about practice as veterans and performing as expected. So, with that, I will bid you adieu and hope we're both undefeated when Fri Oct 30th rolls around. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  412

West Virginia's Bitancurt kicks four FGs vs. Liberty

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=292480277

Associated Press

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- Jarrett Brown ran for one score and Tyler Bitancurt kicked four field goals to lead West Virginia past Liberty 33-20 Saturday.

West Virginia won its sixth straight season opener and improved to 10-0 against Football Championship Subdivision opponents since 2000.

Brown completed 19 of 26 passes for 243 yards in the first game of the post-Pat White era but also struggled at times to move the Mountaineers down the field.

The win wasn't secured until Robert Sands intercepted Liberty's Tommy Beecher midway through the fourth quarter and West Virginia's Noel Devine scored two plays later on a 24-yard run for a 33-13 lead.

Devine rushed 17 times for 112 yards. Liberty's Mike Brown caught 11 passes for 157 yards and a score.

West Virginia has plenty to work on with East Carolina coming to Morgantown next Saturday.

An offensive line that lost three longtime starters was unable to give Devine much room.

West Virginia did nothing to improve its standing as one of the nation's worst in yards allowed on kickoffs. Two of Liberty's drives after kickoffs started in West Virginia territory, and Western Washington transfer Josh Lider booted one out of bounds.

At least West Virginia temporarily solved its inability to move the ball in short-yardage situations. WVU converted six of 12 times on third down, including fullback Ryan Clarke's 2-yard TD run late in the first quarter.

Beecher's first game at Liberty went much better than his last start -- a four-interception mess in South Carolina's 2008 season opener against North Carolina State.

Beecher went 22-of-33 for 210 yards and engineered two first-half scoring drives, including a screen pass that Mike Brown turned into a 20-yard TD and tied the game at 10-10 early in the second quarter.

On the next series, Jarrett Brown scored from 22 yards out on a planned draw play on third down to put the Mountaineers ahead to stay.

But West Virginia found the end zone only one more time the rest of the game.

Bitancurt kicked field goals of 38, 35, 45 and 36 yards. West Virginia outgained Liberty 438-299.

Archived