• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Linebacker breakdown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

I know that Alonzo McQueen is no longer with the team. It appears that Chris Robinson is locking down the SAM position when not in a nickle package. But with McQueen gone, who are some of the players competing for time on the strong side?

Disappointed that there has not been more media coverage on the Bull's defense so far this spring. The official site has not mentioned much on this side of the ball (nor has other sites).

My current LB depth chart:

SLB Chris Robinson -- ???

MLB Kion Wilson --  Michael Lanaris

WLB Sabbath Joseph -- Armando Sanchez

Anyone want to help me with this? I think Wilson and Joseph are locked in the starting rotation. Is there anyone else you think could see major playing time with this group?

Thanx

• Content Count:  1,757

Jacquain Williams should have an impact right away and Leavitt has mention Barrington playing as a true freshmen

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

The five linebackers you mentioned are the only ones on scholarship -- Donte Spires is also in the mix for the outside jobs after a solid spring. As mentioned, the newcomers will compete for starting jobs on the outside, especially Williams and Barrington. In terms of coverage, we've written a ton during spring drills about the defense under Tresey -- is there something you were looiking for in particular?

I think the main lack of defensive coverage was mainly due to no spring prospectus by the university. Getting info on the LB units and the defensive end battles was limited unless I really dug into Google. The spring game really cleared much of the DE battles. Not much coverage that I could find on Jerome Murphy and Nate Allen, but that is fine seeing we already had enough on those two. But I could not find much about their spring efforts. I actually did not realize Allen was a preseason Thorpe Award Candidate until looking up his bio.

Very curious to see how the OL situation works out. There was a ton of coverage on this unit despite the injuries. You know, injuries are at every spring camp, and it will likely help USF in the long run that we got to see many of the newcomers get the reps this spring. I would obviously be concerned with chemistry here. They are a couple of injuries away from struggling badly. Hope they stay healthy.

Just looking for linebacker info mostly. I had no one penciled in behind Robinson on the depth chart.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Nice to see you here again.

I liked it better when your team profiles were free. LOL

In case you don't know, Jacquain Williams was a first team All-American.

We stole Sam Barrington away from Miami.

As for our OL, we are hoping to have your team's former starter Daron Rose, but he still needs to finish up some school work over the summer.

Mama-Bull...our 2009 preview is free this year. Gets released Thursday and USF is in the initial release. Trying to square up some minute details which is why I love to come here. Big East has difficulty placing a Top 25 team this preseason. Who would it be? Still unsure even at this point. Good luck with Rose. I hope his academics get in order. It hurt FSU when he was lost and Evan Bellamy was out with a blood clot in his leg. Trickett has done wonders. The best coach FSU has right now. Looking forward to the Sept. 26 matchup when USF comes to Doak undefeated (and ranked).

Also, I like to know who the TOP NEWCOMERS could be. Any feedback on this would also be a nice discussion.

I currently have listed DEs Pierre-Paul and Giddens. Obviously somebody on the OL has to make a move. Could Savala make an immediate impact? Would also like to see which LB could step in and see some quality reps. I am assuming from a few responses that Jacquain Williams could be one of those guys. Lejiste looks like a nice candidate from his nickle position. Not much listed on his bio though.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Inside, as you know USF rarely goes out of state for players. Carlos Savala is one of the few such players who we really wanted and both Leavitt and Canales made trips out to the west coast to woo him. Hopefully, he learns quiickly when he gets here. We anticipate Savala and JUCO OL Jamar Bass will see a good deal of playing time right away. Leavitt is also high on incoming freshman Steven Jacques (1st team Class 6-A) as he's already very strong and a state finalist in wrestling, and it is likely that he will play as a true freshman. We also have another incoming freshman Kamran Joyer who just benched 440 lbs and will probably win the state weight lifting championship, and could also see playing time.

• Content Count:  219

I'm not sure why people are talking about Barrington competing for minutes but not Lattimore they're both pretty dang good. I don't think any of the freshman LBs will make the field though, we seem to expect a lot out of our linebackers. The only reason the freshman will get in is if guys like Robinson don't do what they're supposed to (which has a good probability but I'll try to be optimistic).

• Content Count:  171

I'm not sure why people are talking about Barrington competing for minutes but not Lattimore they're both pretty dang good. I don't think any of the freshman LBs will make the field though, we seem to expect a lot out of our linebackers. The only reason the freshman will get in is if guys like Robinson don't do what they're supposed to (which has a good probability but I'll try to be optimistic).

I agree, With Wilson, Joseph, Robinson and Spires we have a solid 4. Add the addition of J.Williams and maybe Sanchez and I doubt any of the true frosh see much time. I doubt Barrington takes a redshirt, he will need some experience because he might start in 2010.

• Content Count:  1,757

I agree, With Wilson, Joseph, Robinson and Spires we have a solid 4. Add the addition of J.Williams and maybe Sanchez and I doubt any of the true frosh see much time. I doubt Barrington takes a redshirt, he will need some experience because he might start in 2010.

and apparently Lanaris has had a very good spring.

Archived