• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will Andre Hall still be a Bronco come fall?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Days Won:  0

It seems as if Andre may end up being the odd man out.

Broncos address running back woes in free agency

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer Feb 28, 1:20 am EST

DENVER (AP)—The Denver Broncos began retooling their team with a couple of free agent running backs Friday.

The Broncos signed Correll Buckhalter to a four-year deal and were putting the finishes touches on a four-year contract for J.J. Arrington, said J.R. Rickert, the agent for both players.

The Denver Post reported that the Broncos also signed free agent safety Renaldo Hill from Miami and New England receiver Jabar Gaffney. Both are represented by agent Drew Rosenhaus, who didn’t return phone calls or e-mails from The Associated Press. The Broncos also declined to confirm any other signings Friday.

The Broncos, under new leadership in coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders, cleared $37 million in cap space heading into free agency.

Other players they were talking to include safeties Brian Dawkins, whom they were hoping to lure to Denver after 13 seasons in Philadelphia, and Hill, who played a big part in the Dolphins’ turnaround last year.

Buckhalter was hampered by knee injuries early in his career, missing three of four seasons from 2002-05. But he was a solid backup to Brian Westbrook the last three seasons in Philadelphia, and his 369 yards rushing last season were more than any Broncos running back. He ran for two scores and caught two touchdown passes among his 26 receptions for 324 yards.

Buckhalter will get a chance to start for the Broncos, who were hit by an injury epidemic in their backfield last season, when they lost an astonishing seven tailbacks to injured reserve, including converted fullback Peyton Hillis (hamstring) and fellow rookie Ryan Torain (knee).

If healthy, Hillis and Torain will also compete for the starting job with Buckhalter.

“It’s been a dream of his and a goal of his since he entered the league,†Rickert said of Buckhalter’s desire to serve as a featured back. “He’s always been in a split situation or a No. 2 situation. He sees this as an opportunity to win a starting job. He’s not expecting anybody to give it to him.

“But he knows he’s capable of being a starting back in the NFL.â€

Arrington figures he can be a big contributor in the Broncos’ backfield, too. He had 187 yards rushing, 255 yards receiving and 923 yards on kickoff returns for the NFC champion Arizona Cardinals last season.

He’s spent all four of his NFL seasons in Arizona, where he averaged a career-best 25.6 yards on kickoff returns last year.

“J.J.’s not what most people would consider an every-down back, but he can be effective and explosive when he comes in,†Rickert said. “I don’t think J.J.’s coming in thinking about starting. Of course, everybody wants to play and start. But I think he understands where he can fit in.â€

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

I thought the same thing when I saw the Broncos pick up those 2 rb's

Archived