• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach: WR Sterling Griffin will sign with Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Great pick-up. Welcome on board Sterling.  ;D

February 03, 2009

Coach: WR Sterling Griffin will sign with Bulls

One day before National Signing Day, USF has picked up a key offensive commitment, as Miami Pace coach Alvin Slaughter said that receiver Sterling Griffin will be part of the Bulls' recruiting class.

"Sterling is going to sign with South Florida," said Slaughter, who has another receiver signing with USF in speedster Derrick Hopkins.

Griffin, 6-foot-2 and 175 pounds, caught 42 passes for 717 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior, and chose the Bulls over offers from Purdue (where his father played), Pittsburgh, Mississippi and Wisconsin. He is rated as a three-star recruit by both Scout.com and Rivals.com.

"He's a steady Eddie -- he's just consistent, and always makes great plays down the stretch," Slaughter said.

Slaughter said that Pace defensive back Kayvon Webster, who had visited USF with his teammates, appears to be keeping firm in his commitment to Miami and will sign with the Hurricanes on Wednesday.

With Griffin on board and Webster sticking with Miami, there's only a few players left in limbo in the last 24 hours. We're expecting word tonight from Jacksonville Fletcher linebacker Sam Barrington, who is choosing between USF, Miami and Illinois, and could also hear from Largo linebacker Mike Marry, who is said to be down to USF and Mississippi. We haven't gotten official word from Delray Beach defensive back Jayron Hosley, but all signs point to him signing with the Bulls as well.

Posted by Greg Auman at 4:41:33 PM on February 3, 2009 | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Man, we are getting almost every target. 

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

So pretty much all that's left in play is which LB will we get if any of the 2 still on the board. 

I'd still like to hit the trifecta with Webster. Maybe he will pull a fast one on his HS coach. I know Derrick was working on him and now Sterling can as well. The three of them were part of the state relay championship team in the 100m. They could do that in the Big East. BTW, Sterling set faster HS times in the 400m than Carlton Mitchell, and Mitchell later went on to be the all-time leader for USF in the 400.

Miami Herald

Posted on Tuesday, 02.03.09

COLLEGE FOOTBALL RECRUITING

Of the top defensive recruits in Miami-Dade, 10 are firm commitments to Football Subdivision schools. American defensive end Olivier Vernon already has enrolled at the University of Miami, but the Hurricanes are hoping Pace linebacker/safety Kayvon Webster will honor his commitment.

Webster has said during the past couple of weeks that he is considering South Florida after teammate Derrick Hopkins committed to the Bulls.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/884977.html

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Man, we are getting almost every target. 

Well, besides Webster, but it does seem like we're getting most of the guys we want lately.  I would have liked Theliar to stick because of recruiting rankings on rivals and scout (espn doesn't rank juco guys but I would assume they factor it in, but maybe not), but it doesn't seem like we fought hard for him.

Jamar Bass coming back is awesome news.

I'd still like to hit the trifecta with Webster. Maybe he will pull a fast one on his HS coach. I know Derrick was working on him and now Sterling can as well. The three of them were part of the state relay championship team in the 100m. They could do that in the Big East. BTW, Sterling set faster HS times in the 400m than Carlton Mitchell, and Mitchell later went on to be the all-time leader for USF in the 400.

Miami Herald

Of the top defensive recruits in Miami-Dade, 10 are firm commitments to Football Subdivision schools. American defensive end Olivier Vernon already has enrolled at the University of Miami, but the Hurricanes are hoping Pace linebacker/safety Kayvon Webster will honor his commitment.

Webster has said during the past couple of weeks that he is considering South Florida after teammate Derrick Hopkins committed to the Bulls.

That would be nice.  You can't always trust the HS coach to know what his players will do, and that's where Greg is getting his info from.  Then again, you can't always trust the players themselves, either.

Still, I'd be surprised if Kayvon switches but it would be sweet to keep that relay team together and then add Lindsey Lamar to it...

Miami Herald

That would be nice.  You can't always trust the HS coach to know what his players will do, and that's where Greg is getting his info from.  Then again, you can't always trust the players themselves, either.

Still, I'd be surprised if Kayvon switches but it would be sweet to keep that relay team together and then add Lindsey Lamar to it...

Yeah, they would be very hard to beat in the 100 or 200 relays.

Derrrick

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/86713

Lindsey

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/58509/stats

Kayvon

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/85052

Sterling

http://fl.milesplit.us/athletes/179514

anyone know when the track meets are this year?  am I missing them already?

edit:  oh, it looks like they start in march judging by last year's meets.  btw, that website is awesome.  they even have graphs to track the players.  looks like hopkins got faster as the season went on so he could be coming to camp fast.  time to look at the others now...

• Content Count:  56

Great news with Griffin, and that is the most encouraging new I've seen on Webster yet!

Archived