• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tyrone Williams going elsewhere*

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

Ex-USF commitment headed to South Alabama

Tyrone Williams, a linebacker from Thomasville, Ga., who was among USF's early commitments for this year's class, has decided to sign with South Alabama, Thomasville coach Richie Marsh said Monday.

Williams appears to have been caught in the numbers crunch as the Bulls pile up commitments and have to step back from recruits who have yet to post qualifying academic scores. Marsh said Williams has not yet qualified, but had remained committed to USF throughout the process.

"I don't know what happened, but this was an unfortunate situation," Marsh said. "All I know is he committed to them and then something fell through. He was going there, but something happened on their end. He's excited about South Alabama, so I think it's a blessing."

Schools are limited to 25 "initial scholarships" each year, and USF is close to its maximum for the incoming class with a few recruits still in play. It's possible the Bulls had sought to "grayshirt" Williams, allowing him to sign but asking him to defer his enrollment until January, when he would count against the 2010 class.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/02/ex-usf-commitme.html

Williams won't play any sooner at South Alabama, a startup program that will play an abbreviated schedule against prep schools this fall before making its debut as a Division I-AA program in 2010. South Alabama will be a I-A program and play in the Sun Belt starting in 2013.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I think "decommits" is a little misleading in your title. If I'm reading the article right, it wasn't really his choice ...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I think "decommits" is a little misleading in your title. If I'm reading the article right, it wasn't really his choice ...

Some time ago, we told him that we couldn't accept his LOI because he had yet to qualify. We did that to K Kelly as well. Unlike Williams, Kelly hopes to eventually qualify and expects to sign with USF next year. Hopefully, he can qualify in time to enroll at USF next January. 

Guest nybullsfan

South Alabama, a startup program that will play an abbreviated schedule against prep schools this fall before making its debut as a Division I-AA program in 2010. South Alabama will be a I-A program and play in the Sun Belt starting in 2013.

I thought there was a moratorium on teams moving up to 1-A / FBS for the forseeable future. No?

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

South Alabama, a startup program that will play an abbreviated schedule against prep schools this fall before making its debut as a Division I-AA program in 2010. South Alabama will be a I-A program and play in the Sun Belt starting in 2013.

I thought there was a moratorium on teams moving up to 1-A / FBS for the forseeable future. No?

it seems to me no one has any business telling a school they can or cant be FBS.  my opinion

Archived