• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

`Bulls Country' Program Raises Visibility In Area

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  1

`Bulls Country' Program Raises USF's Visibility In Area

By LENORA LAKE Tribune correspondent

Published: Oct 9, 2004

TAMPA - Green and gold is taking hold.

From the Sunshine Skyway to the byways, signs proclaim, ``This Is Bulls Country.'' Restaurants, hotels, car washes and other businesses have decorated with USF paraphernalia; stores have added University of South Florida T-shirts and jerseys to the racks that once offered only clothing from other Florida schools and professional sports teams.

University of South Florida school spirit, merchandise, business goodwill and dollars are spreading throughout the area, said participants in the 2- year-old Bulls Country marketing and promotion program.

``I love seeing USF everywhere I go,'' said USF President Judy Genshaft. ``It makes our students feel welcome wherever they go. I've seen Bulls Country signs all the way over to Skyline Chili in Pinellas.''

Bob Fiallo of the USF Office of Community Relations has been the Bulls Country manager since its August 2002 inception. The campaign began along Fowler and Fletcher avenues but has spread throughout a five-county area, particularly around USF regional campuses in St. Petersburg, Sarasota and Lakeland.

``The biggest thing has been about raising the visibility in the community,'' Fiallo said. ``When you hit Fletcher and Fowler avenues, you know a university is there.''

Through the campaign, businesses display USF posters, pompons, jerseys and other items; decorate in green and gold; and can participate in Bulls Country events such as expos, food tastings and health fairs.

``We have had universal acceptance. When I walk in with USF stuff, they are are glad to have it. Alumni and friends say they are glad to see this is being done,'' said Fiallo, who said USF has about 90,000 alumni living within 50 miles of the Tampa campus.

For the businesses, it means a possible source of revenue, as many establishments provide discount coupons for students, faculty and staff.

``They give us their discounts, and we provide them with customers,'' Fiallo said.

The campaign received $10,000 from the USF Foundation its first year and $20,000 its second year, Fiallo said. Additional support came through in-kind donations from businesses and organizations.

Heather Smith is sales manager of three hotels in the Fletcher Avenue/Interstate 75 interchange area that are operated by McKibbon Hotels, a franchise of the Marriott Corp. The hotels display USF items and use green and gold on all promotional brochures, she said.

``I cannot imagine any business not prospering from it,'' said Smith, who participated in Wednesday's Taste of the Arts, a Bulls Country on-campus food festival with performances and exhibits by USF arts students. ``It has helped us step onto campus to expose our facilities to the students and parents.''

Nick Masky, 20, a junior majoring in communications, collected coupons and food samples at Wednesday's Taste of the Arts. He said has used many of the coupons he has collected at similar events.

``It's fun. I enjoy getting to taste the food of the different restaurants and get to experience another major,'' said Masky, a 2002 Gaither High graduate who lives on campus. ``It's a good way to get USF students together.''

The McDonald's restaurant at 11707 N. 56th St. has chosen green and gold for its decor.

Manager James Meadowcroft said: ``It is just a good way to connect with the community. A lot of our employees are students or become students.''

Tom Locke, general manager of University Mall, said the special events, such as the recent USF Day at the Mall, and the discount cards have attracted customers to the mall and its businesses.

``It has been fantastic. Before Bulls Country, I tried to buy shirts and hats and had to go onto campus. Now, there are 10 to 15 stores here selling them,'' Locke said. ``I even see Bulls stuff in Publix stores in Pinellas.''

Genshaft said the university's athletic department is working with a Tampa International Airport gift shop to stock USF Bulls merchandise, something previously not done.

Serving The Community

The campaign also was designed to do more than link the businesses to USF, Fiallo said.

``Part of the Bulls Country mission is to make the university important to the community and to show how we serve the community,'' Fiallo said.

As part of the campaign, Bulls Country sponsored a health fair in April during National Public Health Week at University Mall; 75 participating groups offered information and/or screenings. Another health fair is planned for April 9.

Other promotions have included Bulls Country bottled water and promotional items delivered to state legislators; participation in the Temple Terrace July 4 parades, where homes along the parade route competed in a USF Bulls Country decorating contest; an exhibit at the Greater Temple Terrace Chamber of Commerce business expo; and a display in the popular Channelside District in downtown Tampa.

For the first time this year, Bulls Country will have a Taste of Bulls Country at the USF Alumni Center as part of Alumni Homecoming Parade Watch Party on Friday night.

``As we have looked at the campaign, we know we want to grow it and expand it,'' Genshaft said.

Correspondent Lenora Lake can be reached at (813) 977-2854, Ext. 24.

http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGB7WJY030E.html

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Great article....

I  saw a Bulls foam beer bottle thingie in 7-11 in Largo a few days ago..

It made me happy. :)

NAM37

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

`Bulls Country' Program Raises USF's Visibility In Area

By LENORA LAKE Tribune correspondent

Published: Oct 9, 2004

I'm so glad this issue has finally been addressed........

Genshaft said the university's athletic department is working with a Tampa International Airport gift shop to stock USF Bulls merchandise, something previously not done.

Correspondent Lenora Lake can be reached at (813) 977-2854, Ext. 24.

http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGB7WJY030E.html

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

funny i haven't heard of this promotion  but it is a great idea

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

awesome....i remember when the only place you saw any USF merchandise was the book store and every where else was gayturds and f$u stuff.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

woolward making his mark

now if he fixes the future schedule he would be da man

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I have seen Bulls merchandise in Targets and Walmarts-Bulls Country is EXPANDING!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I've noticed a lot more Bulls Country stuff in the Tampa area myself. Nice to see .