• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

bonds v ted williams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

Teddy ballgame was the best hitter in the history of the game. I would love to see his career numbers if he didnt go off to war.  I dont even think this is a contest as Teddy is twice the player that Barry ever was. Also take into consideration all the years that Barry had before he started juicing when he was an average power hitter. Also barry is playing in the live ball ERA and plays a hell of a lot more games a year then Ted played.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve

I got a great stat for you that you may have to look up to believe but bonds has 8725 career AB's with 2070 BB's for a .192% of time at plate he walks.  Teddy 7706 career AB's with 2019 BB's for a .208% of times at plate he walks.  Barry was walked intentionally 483 times and I have no number for Teddy for intentional walks but I would guess it is real close.  Ted was always pitched around too.  I know you like to think Barry is always pitched around and changed game but I dont buy it as Teddy has already been there and done that well before Barry was ever around.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/playercard?playerId=14882&type=0

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=3918

You talk about Barry slugging percentage.

SLG  Barry .602 League avg .406 Teddy .634  LA .409

OBP  Barry .433 LA .331 Teddy .482  LA .356

AVG  Barry .297 LA .262  Teddy .344  LA .277

OPS  Barry 1.035 LA .736   Teddy  1.116  LA .765

The league did not keep track of Intentional base on balls until 1955 so you cant compare the two numbers for IBB as Teddy began playing in 1939

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

KR, we must be the homers as Teddy has Barry in all the categories except homers and rbi's.

Barry also has a much bigger head then Ted ever had. Of course at beginning of his career he had a little pin head.  I also say Barry is much better baserunner no doubt and that Barry is a better outfielder though I bet that Ted never sat with his hands on his knees as a fly ball went over his head and then hit the fence behind him. Remeber when Barry used to sit still when HRs were hit over his head. I love it when the ball does not go out and he is sitting there looking like the biggest ass in the stadium. I would love to see him do that with Curt schiling or Roger Clemens on the mound ans then see the reaction from Curt and Roger.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

you guys are forgetting stolen bases?

and run scored?

which is a big part of baseball

Steve

Stolen bases are not the most important thing for a clean up hitter now or ever.  As far as runs scored lets take a look at that.   Ted total runs 1798, led league 5 times, scored 100+ in a year 9 times and scored 130+ 6 times.   Barry total 1941 runs, scored 100+ 11 times. Never scored 130+ in a season.  Teddy played 2292 games so avg .785 runs per game.  Barry has played 2569 games and averages .756 runs per game. I do agree that this is an important number and Teddy once again is the better man.  I also say stolen bases help teams score runs or the indiviual score runs so since Teddy scored more runs and hit a lot fewer Home runs I would have to say that SB is not that important.  Anything else to stump me on? I have a feeling when all is said and done you will also believe that Teddy was a better player.  Please keep in mind he missed most of or all of 5 primes seasons to fight for his country in which he did not have to do. I cant imagine what his numbers would look like if he had played those years.

BTW Steve, you said that Bonds OPS and slg percent were off the charts but Teddy beat him in both and in the dead ball era. Teddy walked more per game also then Barry and missed some prime seasons that Barry did not miss.  Also Teddy played in Fenway which is one of the worst parks to play in for a lefthanded hitter as you probably know.  There was always the rumor that Teddy would be traded for Joey D and that it would have been the perfect trade as Yankee stadium and the short porch in right were made for teddy and the monster in left at fenway was made for joey D and his right handed swing.  You better start coming up with some facts cuz I am blowing you out of the water on this one counselor.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

for some reason, i see Barry as a draft dodger ;)  He seems to be a "me" first type of guy.  But I may be way off there ;)

Barrys head couldnt fit into a fighter jet.  Then again something tells me he is not smart enough to fly a jet.  John Glenn was Ted's commanding officer in one of the wars and said that Ted was the best fighter pilot he ever saw.  Curt Gowdy said Ted was the best fisherman that he ever saw also. Ted was just one talented son of a gun.  What a shame what his a-hole son did.