• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Tribune: Grothe Looking Forward To UCF

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Grothe Looking Forward To UCF

By BRETT McMURPHY | The Tampa Tribune

Published: September 1, 2008

TAMPA - University of South Florida QB Matt Grothe said he was just being honest - albeit brutally honest.

Following last year's 64-12 victory against UCF, Grothe was asked if the Bulls intentionally ran it up on the Knights.

"I hope they like what happened," Grothe said on Oct. 13, 2007, "because we weren't trying to run the score up on them. We're that much better than them."

A year later Grothe said he doesn't regret saying it, even though he's sure it will be used as bulletin board material this week.

"It was no disrespect, but we were the better team last year," Grothe said. "We'll see what happens this year. If we come out and play, we should take care of business. We're expected to win."

While the No. 19 Bulls (1-0) routed Tennessee Martin 56-7 Saturday, UCF (1-0) blanked South Carolina State 17-0. Saturday's game in Orlando is the final game in the four-game series, that USF leads 3-0.

Most of USF's players would like to see the series continued.

"I love playing UCF," USF senior FS Danny Verpaele said. "It's fun. It's a rivalry.

"My hometown Merritt Island is right next to them. A lot of people from my high school go there. It's a fun game, it's like a rivalry.

"That USF's three wins vs. UCF is in the past, every year is a new year."

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Basically everything but the pregame weather.

USF got a ton of players in against UT Martin and emerged basically injury-free. PR Marcus Edwards (seven punt returns, 124 yards), WR A.J. Love (four catches, 57 yards) and RB Ben Williams (six carries, 70 yards) stood out individually.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Not much, but to be nit-picky the Bulls had four turnovers, including a fumble into the end zone. Also, an illegal shift by the Bulls nullified a 39-yard TD pass from Grothe to Love or the Bulls could have scored 70.

There were also two dropped passes or Grothe's 6-for-8, 96-yard, two-TD night easily could have been 9-for-9, 150-plus yards and three TDs

INJURY UPDATE: TE Trent Pupello (ankle) was on crutches after the game, but said X-rays were negative and he would play Saturday. OT Ryan Schmidt (knee) and RB Mike Ford (ankle), limited against UT Martin, are expected to play Saturday.

CHALLENGE AHEAD: The Bulls turned the UCF series into the Snore on I-4 and go for the four-game sweep Saturday at 7 p.m. (ESPN2). The Bulls make their first - and at least for the near future their last - visit to Bright House Networks Stadium in Orlando.

Link...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe Looking Forward To UCF

"I hope they like what happened," Grothe said on Oct. 13, 2007, "because we weren't trying to run the score up on them. We're that much better than them."

Hehehehe.

On the rivalry thing. I know the players enjoy the game. However, what they view as fun is not always best for the program. We've established our dominance over UCF, and we've nothing left to gain from the series.  Here's to taking care of business this weekend and never looking back.

Archived