• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Research Dollars for this past year?

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think the numbers have been officially released yet, but in reading Dr. Wilcox's Faculty Assembly Speech, I noticed this excerpt:

http://files.acad.usf.edu/Presentations-Reports/Wilcox/2008-08-22-Fall-Faculty-Assembly-transcript.pdf

While President Genshaft will provide us all with a detailed performance update during her annual State of the University Address on September 10, I’d like to share with you some general observations that suggest reason for much optimism at USF. [glow=red,2,300]Today, faculty research, scholarly and creative productivity is higher than ever and we anticipate a 20% increase in total research awards from a year ago. [/glow] Over the Summer, many of our faculty colleagues leapt onto the national stage – from receiving a $128 million grant, from the National Institutes of Health, to better understand the causes and to seek potential cures for Type I, juvenile diabetes; to biologists who received major grants from the NIH and National Cancer Institute to fight the ravages of that disease; to chemists who are developing “smart†metal organic materials, or MOMS, through a grant from the Department of Defense; our participation, led by faculty in the College of Engineering, in Florida’s Renewable Energy Research Consortium; and one of our own history professors who, along with his students, uncovered George Washington’s childhood home in Virginia. More and more of our faculty are receiving national awards and recognitions; the academic credentials of our incoming freshmen are the strongest in the history of the university; we expect student enrollment, this Fall, to be at an all-time high as we’ve redistributed more of our undergraduates to our regional campuses; student retention and graduation rates are better than ever before; annual private giving to the University has exceeded our record for the second consecutive year; and exciting capital investments in facilities are physical signs that the USF System is growing.

Am I correct in understanding this as a 20% increase over our last year's 308 mil research dollar number? If that's the case, that is a pretty huge increase up to 370 mil. Wow! Can anybody else that is closer to the situation confirm or deny my understanding of this?

Archived