• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Florida Round Robin?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

Check out Schnellenberger's idea.

Schnellenberger wants Florida teams to mix it up

Posted on Wed, Jul. 23, 2008

By PETE PELEGRIN

ppelegrin@MiamiHerald.com

NEW ORLEANS --

There are no playoffs in Division I college football, but Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger has an idea to determine the best college football team in Florida.

''What we'd like to do is have Central Florida, South Florida, FAU and FIU play a round-robin,'' Schnellenberger said Tuesday as the Sun Belt Conference Football Media Days wrapped up in the Big Easy. ``Then have Florida, Florida State, and Miami play each of us one time. We would play four games within the state before we get into conference play and do this for four years. Do you know what that could do for the state of Florida?''

Although the possibility of that happening is unlikely, Schnellenberger might be on to something.

''I love it, let's get it going and on pay-per-view,'' said FIU coach Mario Cristobal, whose Golden Panthers play USF and FAU this season, Florida in 2009, USF in 2010, and are trying to line up Florida State and UCF after the Hurricanes declined to renew the crosstown series with FIU.

Schnellenberger's Owls have closed the gap with South Florida and Central Florida, losing to both teams in the final quarter in recent games. And with the overflowing pool of high school talent in the state, FAU, USF, UCF, and FIU have a good chance at getting better.

''Somebody took me to task, because I said within five years you won't know how the seven Division I teams in Florida will be ranked,'' Schnellenberger said. "Everybody in the state is going to be able to beat anybody in the state on any given Saturday. Right now, Central Florida, South Florida and even us can give Miami all they can handle.''

FAU declined to play UM this season because the Hurricanes did not meet the Owls' financial demands. FAU plays FIU annually in the Don Shula Bowl and has USF (2009) and Florida (2011) scheduled.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Let’s think through how that would work.

After USF, UCF, FAU, and FIU play each other once, according to his plan:

Let’s say Central Florida would play its fourth local game against Florida.

Then let’s suppose South Florida would play Florida State that same year.

Then let’s reckon Florida Atlantic would play Miami at the same time.

Then Florida International’s other in-state opponent would be . . . ?

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

not only is he just old and senile... but...

the 4 BCS programs in the state would have nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing this....

FAU FIU and UCF would have nothing to lose, everything to gain...

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Why would Howard lump us with the losers?  Too much sniffing of the program's primary beneficiary's whiskey barrels I guess.  :Flossing

Normal

Archived