• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spitting image?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Spitting image?

By REUBEN FRANK

phillyBurbs.com

0922jrreed.jpg

PHILADELPHIA - About 3 1/2 hours before kickoff, Brian Mitchell was talking about J.R. Reed and how much the Eagles' rookie kick returner reminded him of himself.

Not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy, but decisive with great vision and field awareness.

"He's going to be a great returner in this league," Mitchell said late Monday afternoon. "You can tell he knows what he's doing."

A few hours later, Reed made Mitchell look prescient.

In the Eagles' nationally televised 27-16 win over the Vikings Monday night, the 22-year-old rookie had a 46-yard kickoff return to set up Donovan McNabb's third-quarter touchdown run and a 43-yard return to set up David Akers' clinching fourth-quarter field goal.

"I helped a team win on Monday Night Football," Reed said, shaking his head in disbelief in the Eagles' locker room early Tuesday morning. "It's very rewarding. The sickest feeling in the world is when you go home after a game and you feel like you didn't help your team win."

Reed is averaging 27.6 yards per return, third-best in the NFL behind San Diego's Tim Dwight (29.9) and Detroit's Eddie Drummond (33.0). No other rookie is in the top 20.

"I have a small part on this team and if I'm not contributing, there's no point in being out there," he said. "Anybody can go out there and take up space."

The Eagles have always had outstanding kickoff returners under John Harbaugh, the NFL's best special teams coach.

Harbaugh's first two years here, including 1998 on Ray Rhodes' staff, Allen Rossum averaged close to 25 yards per return. Mitchell was always among the league leaders in his three years handling the job, and last year James Thrash finished over 24 yards per return, third-best in the NFC.

"John Harbaugh is one of the best in the business," head coach Andy Reid said. "He devised some great schemes for that game and they worked. But you also have to have somebody like J.R., who's willing to pound the ball in there. It takes a special guy to do it and J.R. does it."

Reed led the NCAA in kick return average last year at 31.7 for South Florida and he's picked up right where he left off in college.

His strength is the same as Mitchell's. As soon as he secures the football, he's gone. There's no hesitation, no indecision.

"You gotta hit it now," he said. "Those guys are as fast as you are. One second hesitation and it's over, you're done. There's 11 of them and only one of me so you gotta find your crease and go."

Grasmanis may return

Defensive tackle Paul Grasmanis, who's been slowed by an Achilles tendon injury all summer, may be ready to play Sunday against the Lions in Detroit, Reid said.

Grasmanis played only two games last year and hasn't played yet this year. The Eagles are scheduled to return to practice today.

Reid said defensive tackle Jerome McDougle (strained groin), Todd Pinkston (clavicle) and Darwin Walker (strained calf) should all be fine.

This and that

Terrell Owens is tied for the NFL lead with four touchdowns. Last year with the 49ers, he didn't score his fourth TD until the ninth week of the season ... Reno Mahe leads the NFC with a 13.0 punt return average ... Only Ahman Green (17) has generated more first downs among NFC players than Brian Westbrook (14) ... The Lions are seeking their first 3-0 start since 1980.

Reuben Frank can be reached at 609-871-8081 or eagleswriter@yahoo.com.  

September 22, 2004 8:11 AM

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-09222004-369980.html

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Reed was a pretty good college player

The Eagles will destroy us .............

I'd really prefer J.R. not be compared to Mitchell. I remember one of the Bucs years ago saying that the only player Tony Dungy ever called a "punk" was Brian Mitchell. That tells me a lot .................

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

might i point u in the direction of my reply to this post...........

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1095805552

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

might i point u in the direction of my reply to this post...........

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1095805552

Hopefully, he'll catch on and contribute heavily in the secondary so he won't have the stigma of being attached to BMitch. He can be a good position player and a great returner ............ ;D

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

He played great in that game.  Madden even asked Al Michaels if they should nominate him for the horse trailer player of the game.  He may have gotten it too if Kearse hadnt sealed the deal with that final INT.  

Great job J.R.