• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hurt Receiver Drew Hixon

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

Has anyone heard any updates on Hixon and how he is doing? I just hate to see his career end on a note like it did.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

he is still at st joes and not doing good at all.

this could turn out to be a VERY bad situation.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118

I pray everynight that Drew will make a quick recovery. I still can't believe that happened to such a nice guy and outstanding player. Just keep Drew and his family in your prayers.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

There are some hopeful signs that he is improving:

Published Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Hixon Improving, but Still in Coma

Tenn. Tech player was knocked out against USF two weeks ago; shows signs of recovery.

By TED BECK

Ledger Correspondent

Tennessee Tech wide receiver Drew Hixon is still in a medically induced coma at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa after being knocked unconscious by USF defensive backs Javan Camon and Mike Jenkins in a Sept. 11 game.

Hixon has been unconscious since the hit, but was put into the deeper coma hours after the hit occurred. Doctors have said only that Hixon has a deep brain bruise.

According to Will Darnall, public relations director at St. Joseph's, Hixon has been moving his extremities and is showing signs of coming out of the coma.

Darnall said Hixon was put into the coma to help the healing process. Doctors are coming up with a plan to take him out of the coma to see how he responds.

The hit occurred early in the second quarter of the Bulls' 21-7 victory over Tennessee Tech last Saturday. Hixon caught a pass from quarterback Robert Craft at Tennessee Tech's 49-yard line when Camon came from behind him to make the tackle. Jenkins simultaneously hit Hixon from the front, causing a brutal collision at midfield, dislodging Hixon's helmet.

Hixon, 22, has been on a ventilator since being in the coma, which Darnall says is normal for coma patients.

"Head injuries are weird," Darnall said. "You can be in a coma and just pop out of it any time. He's got youth and strength on his side."

Hixon's father, Stan, is a Lakeland native and a receivers coach for the Washington Redskins. Because of the injury to his son, he missed the Redskins' season opener against the Bucs on Sept. 12 and the last Sunday's game against the Giants.

Stan Hixon met with the Redskins on Monday morning, then flew back to Tampa on Tuesday. He expects to be with the Redskins for their game against Dallas on Monday night, unless there is a change in Drew's condition.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040922/NEWS/409220329/1254

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

how can you just "pop" out of a medically induced coma?

i'm not familiar with the technique of inducing a coma but it seems like if it is induced, you couldn't just pop out of it.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

its a medication that they give you all day all night (like an IV drip) all they have to do is stop giving the medication and it wears off pretty quick.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  164

First off, I hope that Drew makes a full recovery and is back on the field this time next year.  That said, does anyone know how well the USF player (Jenkins?) who made the hit on him is doing?  I know he's fine physically, but mentally, the situation must be pretty rough for him.  Obviously, it was just a part of the game that went really wrong, but sometimes these guys blame themselves for something that isn't really this fault.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I haven't heard anything mentally about him...  

I think he has a good support system in his coaches and teammates.