• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reasons for optimism after the USC game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Here are some reasons I think we can have a successful (read: bowl) season, in no particular order:

1. Jim Leavitt throughout his career has proven that he is not afraid to make changes when necessary to help the team win football games. It's pretty obvious by now that some sort of fix is necessary with the offense.

2. USF football since its inception has a history of stinking up one road game a year. Starting in 1997: Elon, Hofstra, James Madison, Middle Tennessee, Utah, Arkansas, Alabama, and now South Carolina. Not that we should have won all those games, but those were all performances well below what each year's team was capable of. Maybe we've gotten it out of the way now and can play better in conference road games.

3. The defense is still playing well. Yeah, I know what the South Carolina stats were -- I still say the "D" was hung out to dry by the incompetent offense, and the numbers were inflated by big plays. We have a very young secondary so that is somewhat to be expected; I have no doubt these players will continue to improve.

4. The two games thus far aren't heartening, but things could be a lot worse. We didn't lose to New Hampshire, didn't lose to Maine, didn't lose to FAU, didn't lose 59-3, don't have a two-year losing streak, ticket sales are still good, we can still go 8-0 in conference play, and we'll still be in the Big East this time next year.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

I would like to see things that way, but I guess next week will find out how we will fair against one of the better CUSA teams.

Guest wildrover

I still might win the lottery but the odds are aginst it.  I would of thought that last season would of been enough to convince anybody that the machine needs some tweaking.  We have two very bad QB's and from what I can tell they are being asked to run an offense they are not capable of running.  I don't think anybody had a very good feeling about yesterdays game long before it started.  Yes the competition has increased the last couple of years but the fact that our offense can't more than 14 points on a AA team that went 2-9 last year should say something about the state of this team.