• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Adkins: A conversation with Terrence Royal

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

tbologo252x90.gif

A Conversation With Tampa Bay Storm Linebacker Terrence Royal

By ADAM ADKINS | The Tampa Tribune

Published: April 15, 2008

Terrence Royal should be no stranger to Bay area football fans.

Royal played at Wharton High School, the University of South Florida and now he's a rookie linebacker with the Tampa Bay Storm. Royal made his Arena Football League debut Sunday in the Storm's 63-62 loss to Arizona, Tampa Bay's fourth consecutive loss.

Royal and the Storm return to the field Friday with a home game against the New York Dragons.

You played high school football here in Tampa at Wharton. You played college here at the University of South Florida. Now you're playing pro ball here with the Storm. So are you trying to become the first football player to play his entire career in one city?

Smiling Well, I guess I am trying to do that. Well, not really. If it comes my way ... I love Tampa, and I really don't want to go away. I've got my family, I've got a whole bunch of fans here, so it's like a blessing to stay here in Tampa, and it's a great opportunity.

You've been with the Storm since training camp, but you made your Arena Football League debut Sunday in the loss to Arizona. Was the AFL game everything you expected, and how did your debut go?

My debut went OK. I could have done better. But it was very fast; a faster game. I was so used to the outside game, and then I came in here, even though I played with Lakeland of the American Football Indoor Association, this was much faster. It was real fast. But like I say, I'm getting the hang of it, and once it slows down to me, I'm going to be dangerous.

Speaking of your debut Sunday, USF coach Jim Leavitt was here for the coin toss and then you had the USF band in the stands. Was that just a coincidence, or did you put a call into some friends?

Laughing Nah, that was just a coincidence. I was glad to have that happen. When I saw Coach Leavitt I was smiling. I told him that was funny, and that I wore No. 12. The reason why I wear it is to honor Javan Camon, one of my best friends while I was at USF Camon died in February 2007 at 25 after sustaining a broken neck while playing for the World Indoor Football League's Daytona Beach Thunder. It was great to have them out there. It gave me some extra energy. And then I had some coaches out there from Wharton, too. So it got me a little pumped.

Who has been tougher to play for, Coach Tim Marcum or Coach Leavitt?

I'd have to go with Coach Marcum. Coach Leavitt, all I got to do is run around and give him that extra fire. Coach Marcum, he's more like ... well, I take that back, I don't want to get that in the paper smiling. That's a toss up right there. Don't ask me that question laughing. I'll just say both of them are the same.

I'll make sure that last part gets in. Saying that, throw your high school coach, Richard "Batman" Wood, into the mix. Out of the three, who's the toughest to play for?

Shaking his head Oh my God. Um, um, um. Oh my God. I'd have to say, out of the three, Coach Wood. Coach Wood was on me all day, every day. Plus, that's my godfather. In high school, he was on me consistently.

What's it going to take for you guys to turn things around?

Just working hard, practice hard, show dedication. That's all we need, to come together and fight through the adversity. Like one of my coaches said, with your fingers showing an open hand they can break away, but if it's a balled up fist, it's strong. So we've got to stay together.

Adam Adkins

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

By ADAM ADKINS of The Tampa Tribune

Terrence Royal should be no stranger to Bay area football fans.

Royal played at Wharton High School, the University of South Florida and now he's a rookie linebacker with the Tampa Bay Storm. Royal made his Arena Football League debut Sunday in the Storm's 63-62 loss to Arizona, Tampa Bay's fourth consecutive loss.

Royal and the Storm return to the field Friday with a home game against the New York Dragons.

You played high school football here in Tampa at Wharton. You played college here at the University of South Florida. Now you're playing pro ball here with the Storm. So are you trying to become the first football player to play his entire career in one city?

Smiling Well, I guess I am trying to do that. Well, not really. If it comes my way ... I love Tampa, and I really don't want to go away. I've got my family, I've got a whole bunch of fans here, so it's like a blessing to stay here in Tampa, and it's a great opportunity.

You've been with the Storm since training camp, but you made your Arena Football League debut Sunday in the loss to Arizona. Was the AFL game everything you expected, and how did your debut go?

My debut went OK. I could have done better. But it was very fast; a faster game. I was so used to the outside game, and then I came in here, even though I played with Lakeland of the American Football Indoor Association, this was much faster. It was real fast. But like I say, I'm getting the hang of it, and once it slows down to me, I'm going to be dangerous.

Speaking of your debut Sunday, USF coach Jim Leavitt was here for the coin toss and then you had the USF band in the stands. Was that just a coincidence, or did you put a call into some friends?

Laughing Nah, that was just a coincidence. I was glad to have that happen. When I saw Coach Leavitt I was smiling. I told him that was funny, and that I wore No. 12. The reason why I wear it is to honor Javan Camon, one of my best friends while I was at USF Camon died in February 2007 at 25 after sustaining a broken neck while playing for the World Indoor Football League's Daytona Beach Thunder. It was great to have them out there. It gave me some extra energy. And then I had some coaches out there from Wharton, too. So it got me a little pumped.

Who has been tougher to play for, Coach Tim Marcum or Coach Leavitt?

I'd have to go with Coach Marcum. Coach Leavitt, all I got to do is run around and give him that extra fire. Coach Marcum, he's more like ... well, I take that back, I don't want to get that in the paper smiling. That's a toss up right there. Don't ask me that question laughing. I'll just say both of them are the same.

I'll make sure that last part gets in. Saying that, throw your high school coach, Richard "Batman" Wood, into the mix. Out of the three, who's the toughest to play for?

Shaking his head Oh my God. Um, um, um. Oh my God. I'd have to say, out of the three, Coach Wood. Coach Wood was on me all day, every day. Plus, that's my godfather. In high school, he was on me consistently.

What's it going to take for you guys to turn things around?

Just working hard, practice hard, show dedication. That's all we need, to come together and fight through the adversity. Like one of my coaches said, with your fingers showing an open hand they can break away, but if it's a balled up fist, it's strong. So we've got to stay together.

Archived