• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Battle for the Victory Bell: Bearcats steamroll Re

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Losing skid to Miami ends

By Bill Koch

Enquirer staff writer

The University of Cincinnati Bearcats, after playing it close to the vest in their season-opening loss to Ohio State, unleashed a potent offense Saturday night and blitzed archrival Miami , 45-26, before 30,368 fans at Nippert Stadium.

Doug Jones celebrates with teammate Richard Hall (24) after Hall's 2nd quarter touchdown.

(Enquirer photo/JEFF SWINGER)

Led by senior running back Richard Hall, who rushed for a career-high 238 yards on 14 carries and scored three touchdowns, the Bearcats rolled up 599 yards of offense.

"I just felt like they couldn't stop me, like they couldn't stop our offense," said Hall, who gained 161 yards last year against Miami. "Our offensive line did a great job. I didn't even have to make moves sometimes. It was just like a sprint."

The victory enabled the Bearcats to reclaim the Victory Bell after three straight losses to the RedHawks and gave Mark Dantonio his first victory as a head coach.

"We focused on this game and our guys came ready to play," Dantonio said.

"I'm shocked," said Miami coach Terry Hoeppner. "I didn't think we could play this poorly. I thought our coaching staff did a great job. UC was just one step ahead of us all night. They outcoached and outplayed us in almost every phase of the game."

UC (1-1) had lost four straight dating back to last season. Miami fell to 1-2.

Hall's 70-yard touchdown less than five minutes into the first quarter gave UC a 7-0 lead and made a statement about the Bearcats' ability to handle the RedHawks up front.

"That jump-started our offense," Dantonio said. "It showed our offense that we could run the ball against a good football team. That set the tone."

Miami entered the game having allowed only 239 yards per game, just 79.5 yards rushing. The Bearcats rushed for 341 yards on 43 carries.

UC dominated up front on defense, as well, limiting Miami to just 37 rushing yards on 24 attempts. The RedHawks managed 453 yards offensively, with quarterback Josh Betts throwing for 416.

"We went in focused on shutting down their running game," said UC defensive tackle Mike Wright. "We were confident that if we did, everything would fall into place."

After Hall's first touchdown run, Miami came right back to tie the game at 7-7 on a 67-yard drive, with Betts hitting Ryne Robinson on a 25-yard touchdown pass.

UC regained the lead on a 69-yard touchdown pass from quarteRback Gino Guidugli to wide receiver Hannibal Thomas with 1:26 left in the first quarter. Thomas would finish with five catches for 175 yards.

Guidugli, who struggled last week against Ohio State in the Bearcats' buttoned-down offense, was on target all night. He was 12-for-23 for 258 yards, two touchdowns and was intercepted once.

"Richard was running that thing all night," said Guidugli, who secured his first win over Miami in four starts. "That helps a lot when you can run the ball on any given down. That's a tribute to our offensive line. They were blocking their tails off. I don't think I got hit all night."

Trailing 32-13 at halftime, Miami drove 79 yards on nine plays to start the third quarter, scoring on a 23-yard pass from Betts to Ryne Robinson to close the lead to 32-20.

But the Bearcats needed just seven plays to go 81 yards, with Hall going in for his third touchdown from four yards out to spread the lead to 38-20.

The Bearcats led, 45-20, before a 70-yard touchdown pass from Betts to Josh Williams with 10:08 left in the fourth quarter.

"It's critical for everybody who ever wore a UC helmet to beat Miami," Dantonio. "It's critical."

Miami (Ohio)-Cincinnati, Stats

Miami (Ohio) 7 6 7 6-26

Cincinnati 14 18 6 7-45

First Quarter

Cin-Hall 70 run (Lovell kick), 10:45.

Mia-Robinson 25 pass from Betts (Parseghian kick), 7:42.

Cin-Thomas 69 pass from Guidugli (Lovell kick).

Second Quarter

Cin-FG Lovell 33, 11:40.

Mia-Larkin 1 pass from Betts (kick blocked), 7:11.

Cin-Holly returned blocked extra point, 7:11.

Cin-Ross 42 pass from Guidugli (Lovell kick), 4:40.

Cin-Hall 1 run (kick failed), :38.

Third Quarter

Mia-Robinson 23 pass from Betts (Soderquist kick), 10:23.

Cin-Hall 4 run (run failed), 7:04.

Fourth Quarter

Cin-Guidugli 1 run (Lovell kick), 10:49.

Mia-Williams 79 pass from Betts, 10:08.

A-30,368.

Mia Cin

First downs 23 19

Rushes-yards 24-37 43-341

Passing 416 258

Comp-Att-Int 26-43-0 12-23-1

Return Yards 0 9

Punts-Avg. 5-42.4 3-36.7

Fumbles-Lost 1-1 2-1

Penalties-Yards 6-40 9-66

Time of Possession 27:51 32:09

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING-Miami (Ohio), Betts 7-32, Smith 12-12, Clemesn 4-7, Robinson 1-(minus 14). Cincinnati, Hall 14-238, Benton 10-42, Jones 2-16, Glatthaar 4-14, Carpenter 2-13, Daniels 6-11, Thomas 1-10, Guidugli 3-2, Murray 1-(minus 5).

PASSING-Miami (Ohio), Betts 26-43-0-416. Cincinnati, Guidugli 12-23-1-258.

RECEIVING-Miami (Ohio), Nance 6-85, Robinson 6-83, Williams 3-120, Tyler 3-52, Corbin 3-31, Larkin 2-27, Clemens 2-13, Kirkpatrick 1-5. Cincinnati, Thomas 5-175, Murray 2-16, Ross 1-42, Celek 1-10, Lucius 1-9, Hall 1-3, Daniels 1-3.