• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

conference races

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

ACC

Atlantic

1) Boston College (4-1)

Remaining Conference Games: at Maryland, at Clemson, Miami

This week they face last place Maryland which should move them to 5-1, but a tough road still remains ahead. They can't clinch this week, but if Clemson beats Wake Forest than Boston College will have a chance to clinch next week against Clemson.

t2) Clemson (4-2)

Remaining Conference Games: Wake Forest, Boston College

Right now the Tigers control their own destiny facing Wake Forest, and Boston College both at home. A loss to Wake Forest does not totally eliminate them, but they will need a lot of help.

t2) Wake Forest (4-2)

Remaining Conference Games: at Clemson, NC State

A loss to Clemson will eliminate Wake Forest, because they already lost to Boston College. To win the division, Wake Forest will need to win out and have Boston College lose twice. With BC's schedule that is possible, but right now Wake Forest is on the outside looking in.

4) Florida State (3-3)

Remaining Conference Games: at Virginia Tech, Maryland

A loss to Virginia Tech eliminates the Seminoles because they have already lost to Clemson and Wake Forest. They can't win the division outright, to tie the Seminoles will need BC to beat Clemson, but lose other 2, Wake Forest to lose to NC State, Clemson to lose twice. That will create a 3 way tie, and I believe the tiebreaker could be favorable to Florida State.

5) NC State (2-3)

Remaining Conference Games: North Carolina, at Wake Forest, Maryland

NC State needs Wake Forest to beat Clemson, needs Florida State to lose once, to lose twice while beating Clemson, or Boston College to lose 3 times. That will create a 3 way tie with either Wake Forest, Clemson, and NC State, or Boston College, Wake Forest and NC State. Even if that happened, the Wolfpack likely couldn't win the tiebreaker

Eliminated: 6) Maryland (1-4)

Coastal

1) Virginia (5-1)

Remaining Conference Games: at Miami, Virginia Tech

Virginia controls their own destiny if they win out. If they lose to Miami, they can still win the division by defeating Virginia Tech. They can clinch by winning against Miami, and having Virginia Tech lose to Florida State and Miami.

2) Virginia Tech (4-1)

Remaining Conference Games: Florida State, Miami, at Virginia

Virginia Tech controls their own destiny if they win out. If they lose to Florida State or Miami they can still win the division by defeating Virginia.

t3) Miami (2-3)

Remaining Conference Games: Virginia, at Virginia Tech, Boston College

A loss to Virginia eliminates Miami. If Miami wins out, and Virginia loses to Virginia Tech and North Carolina loses once, that will create a 3 way tie. Miami will have a tough time winning tiebreaker though.

Eliminated

t3) North Carolina (2-3)

5) Georgia Tech (2-4)

6) Duke (0-6)

Big 12

North

1) Kansas (5-0)

Remaining Conference Games: at Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Missouri

If Kansas wins out they will win the division. Kansas can lose to Oklahoma State or Iowa State, but still win the division by beating Missouri.

2) Missouri (4-1)

Remaining Conference Games: Texas A&M, at Kansas State, at Kansas

Missouri cotnrols their own destiny and will win division if they win out. If they lose to Texas A&M or Kansas State, they can still win the division if Kansas loses to Oklahoma State or Iowa State.

Eliminated

T3) Kansas State (3-3)

T3) Colorado (3-3)

T5) Nebraska (1-5)

T5) Iowa State (1--5)

South

1) Oklahoma (4-1)

Remaining Conference Games: Baylor, at Texas Tech, Oklahoma State

Oklahoma controls their destiny if they win out. Oklahoma can lose to either Baylor or Texas Tech but still win division due to head to head win over Texas.

2) Texas (4-2)

Remaining Conference Games: Texas Tech, at Texas A&M

If Texas wins out, and Oklahoma loses twice Texas will win the division. Texas can force a three way tie by winning out and Oklahoma losing to Oklahoma State but would lose out in tiebreaker.

3) Oklahoma State (3-2)

Remaining Conference Games: Kansas, at Baylor, at Oklahoma

If Oklahoma State wins out, and if Texas loses to either Texas Tech or Texas A&M, Oklahoma State wins the division. Oklahoma State would force a tiebreaker by beating Oklahoma and Texas winning out but would lose out in tiebreaker.

T4) Texas Tech (3-3)

Remaining Conference Games: at Texas, Oklahoma

A loss to Texas eliminates Texas Tech. If Texas Tech wins out, Oklahoma loses to Baylor, and Oklahoma State loses to Oklahoma and either Kansas or Baylor, Texas Tech would win the division.

T4) Texas A&M (3-3)

Remaining Conference Games: at Missouri, Texas

A loss to Missouri eliminates Texas A&M. If Texas A&M wins out, Oklahoma loses out, Texas Tech loses to Texas, and Oklahoma State loses to Kansas or Baylor, Texas A&M will win the division.

Eliminated:

6) Baylor (0-6)

I'll do more conferences but i'm gonna take a break after I do the Big East right now.

Big East

1) Connecticut (4-0)

Remaining Conference Games: at Cincinnati, Syracuse, at West Virginia

Connecticut controls their own destiny if they win out. Can also win division by losing to either Cincinnati or Syracuse but beating West Virginia.

2) West Virginia (2-1)

Remaining Conference Games: Louisville, at Cincinnati, Connecticut, Pittsburgh

West Virginia controls their own destiny if they win out. If they lose Louisville, or Pittsburgh they can still win the division by beating Connectucit and having Louisville or Pittsburgh lose once.

t3) Cincinnati (2-2)

TRemaining Conference Games: Connecticut, West Virginia, at Syracuse

If Cincinnati wins out, Connecticut loses to West Virginia, and Louisville loses once, Cincinnati would win the division. A loss to Connecticut eliminates Cincinnati.

t3) Louisville (2-2)

Remaining Conference Games: at West Virginia, at South Florida, Rutgers

If Louisville loses to West Virginia, or if Connecticut beats Cincinnati, Louisville is eliminated. If Louisville wins out, and Connecticut loses out Louisville would win the division due to head to head victory over Cincinnati.

t3) Pittsburgh (2-2)

Remaining Conference Games: at Rutgers, South Florida, at West Virginia

If Pittsburgh loses to Rutgers they are eliminated, or if Connecticut beats Cincinnati, Pittsburgh is eliminated. If Pittsburgh wins out, Connecticut loses out, and Louisville loses once, Pittsburgh would win the division.

Eliminated

6) Rutgers (2-3)

T7) South Florida (1-3)

T7) Syracuse (1-3)

Big East

1) Connecticut (4-0)

Remaining Conference Games: at Cincinnati, Syracuse, at West Virginia

Connecticut controls their own destiny if they win out. Can also win division by losing to either Cincinnati or Syracuse but beating West Virginia.

2) West Virginia (2-1)

Remaining Conference Games: Louisville, at Cincinnati, Connecticut, Pittsburgh

West Virginia controls their own destiny if they win out. If they lose Louisville, or Pittsburgh they can still win the division by beating Connectucit and having Louisville or Pittsburgh lose once.

t3) Cincinnati (2-2)

TRemaining Conference Games: Connecticut, West Virginia, at Syracuse

If Cincinnati wins out, Connecticut loses to West Virginia, and Louisville loses once, Cincinnati would win the division. A loss to Connecticut eliminates Cincinnati.

t3) Louisville (2-2)

Remaining Conference Games: at West Virginia, at South Florida, Rutgers

If Louisville loses to West Virginia, or if Connecticut beats Cincinnati, Louisville is eliminated. If Louisville wins out, and Connecticut loses out Louisville would win the division due to head to head victory over Cincinnati.

t3) Pittsburgh (2-2)

Remaining Conference Games: at Rutgers, South Florida, at West Virginia

If Pittsburgh loses to Rutgers they are eliminated, or if Connecticut beats Cincinnati, Pittsburgh is eliminated. If Pittsburgh wins out, Connecticut loses out, and Louisville loses once, Pittsburgh would win the division.

[glow=yellow,2,300]Eliminated

6) Rutgers (2-3)

T7) South Florida (1-3)[/glow]

T7) Syracuse (1-3)

Rutgers and South Florida are not eliminated, technically.

They are, I went through the scenarios i'm pretty sure. I'll go do every possible scenario for USF and see. The one that came closest had USF, WVU, UConn, and Louisville all in a tie. That would create a mini-conference, USF and UConn would be 2-1 in that mini-conference so it would come down to head-to-head which UConn won.

Thats the closest it came, i'll go through every possible scenario though.

Here is the best possible scenario for USF.

UConn 4-3

Losses to: Cincinnati, Syracuse, West Virginia

West Virginia 4-3

Losses to: USF, Louisville, Pittsburgh

Louisville 4-3

Losses to: Syracuse, UConn, South Florida

Pittsburgh 4-3

Losses to: UConn, Louisville, USF

South Florida 4-3

Losses to: Rutgers, Connecticut, Cincinnati

Cincinnati 3-4

Losses to: Rutgers, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Syracuse

Rutgers 2-5

Losses to: Cincinnati, West Virginia, UConn, Pittsburgh, Louisville

Syracuse 3-4

Losses to: West Virginia, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, South Florida

In this case there are 5 teams with a 4-3 conference record. The tiebreaker creates a mini-conference where the teams records against the other 4 become a brand new conference. Here is how it would stack up:

UConn 3-1

Losses to: West Virginia

South Florida 3-1

Losses to: UConn

Louisville 2-2

Losses to: UConn, South Florida

Pittsburgh 1-3

Losses to: Louisville, UConn, South Florida

West Virginia 1-3

Losses to: USF, Louisville, Pittsburgh

Heres the problem, we're tied at 3-1 with UConn, they beat us.

So even in the best case scenario we are screwed. Rutgers might actually have a shot but they lost to UConn too and I think they would actually be worse off than USF.

• Content Count:  1,261

They are, I went through the scenarios i'm pretty sure. I'll go do every possible scenario for USF and see. The one that came closest had USF, WVU, UConn, and Louisville all in a tie. That would create a mini-conference, USF and UConn would be 2-1 in that mini-conference so it would come down to head-to-head which UConn won.

I am so ******* tired of these threads. Seriously.  You only have to go back a page (not even) to find 3 or 4 threads based on this.

But alas, if you took the time to REALLY play out all the scenarios, a 4 way tie is possible between WV, Pitt, us, and Uconn, which subsequently throws out any head to head tie-breakers and picks the highest BCS ranked team to represent the Big East in a BCS game.

This happened in 2004 when there were 7 teams in the BE and over half of them won a share of the conference title (Pitt lost to Utah in the BCS)

Sure, i'd take it. But this would be BAD for the Big East.

I think I did somewhere...

This is your optimistic view of the rest of the season...

ccb47b54.gif?t=1194217005

Actually, that is not how the Big East works... after the mini-conference, if two teams are still tied, it's the highest ranked team that goes, not the winner of the head to head.  Thus, USF would probably be ranked higher than U Conn and would therefore go to the BCS.

• Content Count:  1,261

i'm just gonna go ahead and assume USF is eliminated.

i give up.. :Bang :Bang

the ignorance on this board is amazing. I suppose it doesn't matter anyhow..alot would have to happen.

Archived