• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why USF is called "South Florida"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

Idiots.  >:(

I guess some of the posts above did not read the article from USF, or they have the reading comprehension of a UCF student.  The controversy over the school's name was state politicians debating and bickering over the name.  Politics was just as bad back in the late 50's as it is today in 2007.

At least people in the '50's knew how to read and understand what they were reading.   >:(

A thanks to the posters who did read the article and a thumbs up  :thumbsup  to GoUSFBulls who caught the "Bottlecap U."   :cheers in the article.

Who are you calling an idiot bro? 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

crazy stuff

it is a topic that is brought up quite a bit

• Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  0

I beg to differ with Mr Hawes but he is incorrect about why USF wasn't called The Universitry of Southern Florida. As I have stated before it was the odds on favorite because we are naturally more correctly a part of southern Florida then we are a part of South Florida. The reason for not using the Southern Florida name was because Florida Southern College in Lakeland asked that it not be used because it would cause confusion and minimize their name.

The name that caused controversy was the University of South Florida from folks down Miami way and they went ahead and called it that anyway.

I dont know where Mr. Hawes was back then because he either got his facts wrong, or he has forgotten a lot, or he was drinking some funny stuff.

Archived