• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt's Bulls will now be put to the test

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://community.abcactionnews.com/blogs/sportstalk/archive/2007/10/19/2071258.aspx

Just arrived back in town from last night's USF/Rutgers game.  Understanding the disappointment Bulls fans are going through right now, that was one of the more entertaining football games of the season.

Let's put this game in perspective.  Rutgers knew they couldn't beat USF straight up playing a convention game, so they pulled out the old fake punt and fake field goal and converted both.  Those two plays resulted in 10 Rutgers points.  Those two plays were defining moments in the game.  To be hit once, shame on me.  To be hit twice, shame on you.

If you caught our pregame preview from Rutgers Stadium on Thursday at 5 and 6 on ABC Action News, one Rutgers fan I talked to said there would be a couple of surprises in store by his Scarlet Knights.  He got the information from a team source.  I didn't know this guy from Adam, but he turned out to be right.  He went on to say " the word is all over town, Rutgers will pull out secret weapons." 

We all knew stopping Ray Rice was paramount.  USF couldn't, but then again what team in the Big East has stopped that Heisman hopeful.  He's a stud. 

If there was a disappointing element to this night, it was after the game.  We were all informed that USF Quarterback Matt Grothe and Linebacker Ben Moffitt would not be attending the post-game news conference. They "went straight to the bus." is what we were told.  That was quite a shock, and I really don't know what to think of it.  Rutgers RB Ray Rice did that once, and the AD called him back and made him go up to the press box to talk to the reporters.  Frankly, what more could the two have said. However, both are stand up guys, and they were no-shows last night.  If your going to be leader, lead in defeat as well.  If the two were being attended to for injuries, I give them a pass.  If they weren't..............

I commend Trae Williams.  He was a great post-game interview.  He gave Rutgers their props, while feeling the pain of that loss.

But that night is history.  Conmnecticut is next on the road.  The Big East title is still there for the taking.  If you thought the Rutgers game was a barometer, double it next week against the Huskies. One more loss in the Big East and a title shot is likely out of the picture.

One more note.  I spent a portion of the game on the sidelines.  All I could hear from the Rutgers fans closest to the field was the chant to USF players:  "Overrated".  If the Bulls were overrated, why did you storm the field as if you won the national championship?  To the Scarlet Knights fans, nice win.  But you were darn lucky that game was in your stable.  Furthermore, it was an upset win.

Tom Korun

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

Good write up, but I dont think college players need to talk to the media. These are not professional athletes. They dont get paid to talk to the media like the pros do, so I dont blame Moffit and Grothe for not wanting to speak after that heartbreaking loss. Grothe did speak after the UL loss last year, and he basically didnt show too much class towards UL by saying they were not that good. Anyway, I think it should be up to the players if they want to speak to the media or not.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

should have interviewed the refs...  and given them the game ball while they're at it.

Archived